Personal View site logo
ColorGHear [PART 2]
  • 568 Replies sorted by
  • I used ColorGear for both videos:

This is my latest for my gunactivist customer, I used mostly natural lighting and just small fillers here and there because of the limited time on the set.. In the office I changed all the flo bulbs to 6k temp and from HomeDepot and that was all the lighting... I had to change 60 bulbs.. LOL...

This one was more elaborate lighting...

I wish time would never be a factor on the set.. Lighting is a big time sponge for me...

• The AE renderer/engine is better. Better than "power windows" flexibility for as many levels of grading/correction as you care to do. AE also offers a better palette of tools for non-color tasks like titles, transitions and other image effects.

• @shian What is the difference between color grading in AE and Premiere? does one have an advantage over the other?

• Yes. It's on the list of things to do :)

• Are you planning on doing a LUT for BMCC raw to 709?

• Never use Dynamic Linking - it's terrible. Just import your PP project using the import function in AE.

For why CG inside Resolve, watch this vid

• As a CGH member, may I ask a quickie - what workflow do you guys recommend for windows Adobe user? Dynamic link or exporting and importing graded footage?

Also, how does Resolve fit into all this, I have CGHears in my AE5.5, I tried Resolve 10 for the first time, seems powerful, but is there a need for CGH then?

• @shian - cool. FYI i couldn't download the Pro Plus zip using chrome or Safari on OSX 10.8.4, the server kept finishing the download before it was actually down (maybe my ISP or another server has got an incomplete cache of the file or something). I ended up using Curl in terminal to download it and it worked fine. :)

@vicharris - haha. I should really upload the updated one, it's been at least 6 months since i changed it. :P

• @shian Ahhhhhhhhhh, I thought it was for the pocket. Good to know. Let me know when you need some RAW dng's. I haven't shot with ProRes in awhile or if you want to borrow the camera for a bit you can. I have nothing coming up.

@CaptainHook, Well, all I can say is I haven't touched it since I started using yours to get me going :)

• BMCC. It makes BMPCC footage a little dark, but I can make some adjustments and create one for the Pocket. I'm finding that I'm liking about 4 different flavors with different saturations along with varying white, black, and mid points, but I expose differently than others so the more samples I have the better I can make these.

I'm not placing white at 100 or black at 0 I feel giving yourself a little wiggle room is beneficial. But I'll make one that does do a proper placement for those who want it. There are like 9 different GH2 CineGHamma nodes, I'm guessing there will likely be as many BMD nodes by the time I'm done.

Personally, I prefer my BMD footage to remain flat when grading - especially when using the film stocks, but I know sometimes it helps others to quickly get that "video color space" display back asap.

• @shian - was the LUT created with BMCC footage, Pocket, or both? They're different of course, but i've found i can still make my LUT work with the Pocket by 'prepping' (although it's an updated version i never released).

• With the BMD ProRes LUT: it will not be the only one. If you guys have issues with it, send me a very short clip of the footage you are attempting to convert with it, and a description of the problem and I will tweak it and create multiple options for you a la the multiple CineGHamma settings I made for the GH2

Also, in a week or so I will post a tutorial showing you how to make your own custom BMD LUT using Resolve and AE.

• @vicharris - i wouldn't call the BM LUT complete garbage. It does leave a green tint to the image (similar to the way the Alexa lut does with Alexa footage) and reds skew orange, but it's otherwise a pretty decent starting point if you 'prepare' the image into it. :)

Only just came across ColorGHear, gonna check it out. The approach somewhat reminds me of VSCO in terms of combining 'fixed' adjustments to achieve your final image, and actually me and Kholi briefly discussed an idea that would have essentially just been recreating ACES (lol), but it looks cool. :)

• Just a heads up. Special savings period ends tonight.

• Agreed @shian, that BM rec709 LUT is complete garbage. I was using Hooks for the longest time, I'll give this one a try tomorrow. Thanks!

• New Blackmagic ProRes conversion LUT is now included in all new downloads of Pro and Pro Plus.

If you are like me, you've found that the Blackmagic to rec709 LUT that's included in Resolve makes your Blackmagic ProRes footage look like crap, so I've created a new one especially for ProRes files that will quickly make your flat BMD ProRes files look like "normal" video without blowing out the highlights and crushing the blacks. And it's been converted so it will not only work inside Resolve, but in Premiere, FCP 7, FCP X, AE, and SpeedGrade.

Also new, is a folder with all the LUTs in alphabetical order for inclusion inside FCP X using the LUT import utility.

BTW because it requires a $30 3rd party app to even work, and after trying to use CG Pro the way it was intended in FCP X, I've decided it's too memory intensive, so I won't be marketing CG as compatible with FCP X. It will definitely work inside of FCP X with great results, but it just eats up your memory and makes FCP sluggish. However creating LUTs in Davinci converting them in AE and applying them in FCP X is pretty awesome. I also don't like that the FCP X in-app color adjustments can only happen AFTER the LUTs and not before and/or after them. Which is very limiting.

All the new LUTs and options are available for download now from the Pro Member page.

Happy Holidays!

• Thanks for the answer, @shian. Will get the CGT in the next days. :)

• It has a "node" (or Ghear) for specifically handling the green cast of the GH2 and a few more that target gamma issues with Canon cameras, but I use it on everything from BMD footage, RED Epic, GH2, to my iPhone and my little point and shoot Samsung. It's designed to clean up and enhance any footage.

• @shian Just a question: CGT could be used with other cameras besides the ones listed in the "About" section of the site? Namely, in the case, a Lumix GX7?

I know that the concepts and the tools are useful for all types of footage, but just want to know if there are things that are optimized specifically to some cameras.

Regards.

• Just 2 weeks left to take advantage of the 30-35% off in the CG store. New contents coming as soon as I emerge from the studio - lots of CG pro tutorials coming for FCP X, Davinci, Film Looks --- and using AE as a LUT converter.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

• I'm happy to report that with the aid of this utility, - http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility - CG Pro LUTs, and node based grading are now available inside FCP X. You'll lose the folder organization that you have in the other platforms, but you can layer and mix to your hearts content now in FCP X.

For the next 32 hours or so, you can get it for around $18 by using this promo code - biggestsale2013

I haven't done any tutorials on it yet, so you'll be flying blind except if you've used CG Pro anywhere else, it's basically the same concept as using in FCP 7, only easier. But I wanted to give you a chance to get the utility this cheap rather than the usual $30.

Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 1.01.22 PM.png
    1628 x 1432 - 1M
  • @shian ...

I second Alienhead's comments, that a couple straight text-documents on use/suggestions of your Ghears & adjustments would be very useful. Less work (immediately) for you than doing a full-up "vidorial", and ... perhaps more useful than a video. We can print it out, have it sitting by our workstation, refer to it ... cool.

That said, when you get past the current grind, any more tutorials will be appreciated. I've especially learned from your example-of-shooting stuff also.

Neil

• @Alienhead The very first video on the Pro Tutorial page walks you through all of the original GHears. (minus the newer ones in CGT 1.1 and the CG Pro film stocks.) If you are a PLUS user - all the theory is in the CGT tutorials 3-8 and 12 I haven't had time to rework all of them for the Pro platforms. I've got a long list of tutorials to record for the site. And hoping to get to them before the end of the year.

I finally have a nice quiet studio to record tutorials in, unfortunately, I booked my first gig in in it sooner than I had expected - I'm producing and engineering an album right now, so I have to be hyper focused for 10 hours a day, and by the time we finish in the studio everyday I'm wiped out.

• @shian, really like Colorghear LUTs and I've been incorporating them into my projects, and I'm getting some great results. One thing that would really help is to have more information on the LUTs and how to use them -- specifically, what order to use them in. Yes, much is necessarily trial and error, but some helpful specifics have been lacking, unless I've missed it somewhere. You don't necessarily have to make another video, what I'd like to see is just a written description of each as a reference. Or does that exist already? Thanks.

• So refer back to the Part II of the Zone System tutorials... and these photographs that reveal the 1960's, B&W Addams Family color palette will make perfect sense..... photographically speaking.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3021327/asides/the-addams-familys-living-room-was-pink

[the pink is actually faded.. the wall would have been a bit darker in real life]

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters