Personal View site logo
24/192 Music make no sense

The upper limit of the human audio range is defined to be where the absolute threshold of hearing curve crosses the threshold of pain. To even faintly perceive the audio at that point (or beyond), it must simultaneously be unbearably loud.

At low frequencies, the cochlea works like a bass reflex cabinet. The helicotrema is an opening at the apex of the basilar membrane that acts as a port tuned to somewhere between 40Hz to 65Hz depending on the individual. Response rolls off steeply below this frequency.

Thus, 20Hz - 20kHz is a generous range. It thoroughly covers the audible spectrum, an assertion backed by nearly a century of experimental data.

192kHz digital music files offer no benefits. They're not quite neutral either; practical fidelity is slightly worse. The ultrasonics are a liability during playback.

Neither audio transducers nor power amplifiers are free of distortion, and distortion tends to increase rapidly at the lowest and highest frequencies. If the same transducer reproduces ultrasonics along with audible content, any nonlinearity will shift some of the ultrasonic content down into the audible range as an uncontrolled spray of intermodulation distortion products covering the entire audible spectrum. Nonlinearity in a power amplifier will produce the same effect. The effect is very slight, but listening tests have confirmed that both effects can be audible.

Read more at http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

• 40 Replies sorted by
  • This guy set up a way to test if you can hear them http://www.phy.davidson.edu/fachome/dmb/wmpviz/beats/beats.htm

There are detailed books on acoustics, like Benade, they are pretty dry. Benade's page at Stanford: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Benade/BenadeHome.html

Here is an interesting article, it is simplified a bit that focuses on difference tones: http://hjertmann.com/Combination_Tones_as_Harmonic_Material.pdf

Of course, I could be hearing things. I don't hear as well with the tin foil.

• @DrDave

On your link I do not see anything that you describe, instead all that is described can be recorder with easy.

However, since the effects are produced as part of hearing, the idea takes some getting used to.
    I remember the first day in physics class when these tones were described as being "in ear" as opposed to being "in air". Takes some getting used to.

Any links to scientific article, explanation of that you are talking at all?

• @Vitaliy frequency differentials have been studied since Tartini mentioned them in the 18th century. I personally can hear them, and most trained musicians can hear them. In addition, there is an extensive body of literature in physics on the subject.

However, since the effects are produced as part of hearing, the idea takes some getting used to. There is a similar branch of science concerning "filling in" of details by the visual cortex, but combination tones are considered "cochlear" rather than "perceptual", and as such represent physical phenomena. There are some who believe that the tones are primarily neurological.

Combination tones, like harmonics, comprise part of the texture of music. If you take them away, the music will sound different--maybe better in some cases.

Church organs have pipes that generate combination tones. So for the sine wave like character of the organ pipes, the combination tones add a dimension to the sound. Since the tones are used for low pitches, an accurate recording can be made that, when played on a very high quality speaker will generate the tones. They can be reproduced on very accurate headphones.

However, resultant tones derived from upper harmonics cannot be recorded or generated without increasing the recorded range by at least an octave.

I remember the first day in physics class when these tones were described as being "in ear" as opposed to being "in air". Takes some getting used to.

Very basic info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_tone

• @DrDave

no, they are not recorded.

In this case it is just myth.

As if harmonics or distortions are in audible range they will be recorded.

• Fuck spending 1000s on speakers et al - your room and your ears bugger it up far more than buying a 10k set of monitors can ever do. I spend more on a room than gear when I build a new space. Buy some speakers you like and know them with stuff you made or know intimately - cost a tenner don't matter! Back to Led Zep - their greatest album was mixed on a broken Yamaha amp with NS10's (also battered)

Huh. Spending on speakers is fun thing to do. At least it produce real difference usually :-)

Also, it is clear that good treatment is requiring for mixing, much less is ok if you just listen to things. Brain and ears are quite good dealing with reflections. if you have good amount of books, various stuff and soft furniture it is not bad already. Cheap way for mixing is monitors directed to you and being near field while back fall being far away and with some simple sound proofing.

• Graphs - arse - I like Hendrix and Led Zep however "inadequately" they were recorded, hell a 58 strat would be decimated by graphs and tests these days, but they hugely sound better than a modern variation - and yes I have both - and same with 60's Les Pauls Teles Thunderbird and 335 etc and yes I have them too as well as their modern variations.

If it sounds good it is aint it?

Similar thing with soft synths and the largely pointless discussion about what's "better" I have a Jupiter 4 6 8 MKS50 80 101 3030 909 blah - Jupiters are a fuck to tune very session - same balls about amps - have a Jensen AC30 JCM50 and a room of other old glowing shit - are they better ? No Idea - what get used - what sounds best fastest.

Highest earning single last year (on ipad?) - made originally on garage band and a shit old epi acoustic - how do I know ? leave it you you to discuss. If you only knew !

Just use whatever sounds right - fuck trends and graphs.

Fuck spending 1000s on speakers et al - your room and your ears bugger it up far more than buying a 10k set of monitors can ever do. I spend more on a room than gear when I build a new space. Buy some speakers you like and know them with stuff you made or know intimately - cost a tenner don't matter! Back to Led Zep - their greatest album was mixed on a broken Yamaha amp with NS10's (also battered)

Hey but what do I know !

Concentrate on making shit not talking about it!

Happy New Year - Im back to me mix working like a jobber, in the box on PooTools, as 90% of everything you hear is submitted these days not a valve or 192k in sight.

• @andyharris

I am really confused that you want to tell here. In reality most music is recorded to the mono mikes (condenser mostly), processed and panned (in stereo) by sound guys. Things that you seems to propose is that we need higher frequency for absolute pinpoint localizations of individual sound sources.

You can just get normal headphones, get good binaural demo and just see that your math and claims are not true (as most probably you make error in localization resolution). May be small numbers you refer originate for near pain volumes were frequency of signal does not matter much. But it seems like it is not so:

If the ears are located at the side of the head, similar lateral localization cues as for the human auditory system can be used. This means: evaluation of interaural time differences (interaural phase differences) for lower frequencies and evaluation of interaural level differences for higher frequencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_localization

• @vitaliy

Here's my math. It doesn't matter if it is phase or time difference because the reproduction system has to recreate it.

The problem with my math is that it gives a sampling rate of 15.5x2 or 31KHz

The article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference states: "The normal human threshold for detection of an ITD is up to a time difference of 10μs (microseconds)"

Which suggests that we can detect locational differences much smaller than I originally stated.

TimeDelay.png
    2358 x 899 - 146K
  • First, music contains combination tones which result from harmonics. These tones form in the audible range from inaudible harmonics above the range of hearing. If you strip off the top harmonics, you remove the combination tones sounding one octave or more lower, and these then disappear from the way hear the recorded sound. Note the phrase "the way we hear the recorded sound", because that isn't the same as the sound itself. Sound waves form in the ear as well.

I see logic problems here. Is harmonics or distortions resulting from >20Khz stuff is present in sound it'll be recorded. Recorder, unfortunately can't "make them disappear" :-)

Second, you cat (and you dog, but cats can hear higher) can hear up to 10.5 octaves, so if you pets are important to you, make sure to capture those higher frequencies.

LOL.

• This is a debate that has been going on for a long time and there have been tens of thousands of pages written about it. So I will add only a few lines to this.

First, music contains combination tones which result from harmonics. These tones form in the audible range from inaudible harmonics above the range of hearing. If you strip off the top harmonics, you remove the combination tones sounding one octave or more lower, and these then disappear from the way hear the recorded sound. Note the phrase "the way we hear the recorded sound", because that isn't the same as the sound itself. Sound waves form in the ear as well.

Second, you cat (and you dog, but cats can hear higher) can hear up to 10.5 octaves, so if you pets are important to you, make sure to capture those higher frequencies.

60 is a very good sampling rate for you and you pets.

• Remember that the analog audio chain is a weak link, even at 16/44. Indeed, one company (Wolfson) has built an excellent business by producing DACs which just sound better than the rest (even at 16 bit depth). Initially, Creative used the Wolfson chips in their early high-end MP3 systems (such as those I have used for a decade).

As far as I remember it is ESS that is on top now with their Sabre DACs, also TI is popular.

• Remember that the analog audio chain is a weak link, even at 16/44. Indeed, one company (Wolfson) has built an excellent business by producing DACs which just sound better than the rest (even at 16 bit depth). Initially, Creative used the Wolfson chips in their early high-end MP3 systems (such as those I have used for a decade). Now I see that smartphones need higher quality audio too... and guess who is still able to make a better system...?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2261101/samsung-galaxy-s4-set-to-ship-with-wolfson-audio-chip

I have used 24/192 in distortion measuring equipment. It has measurably lower distortion than 16/48, but a human would never hear the difference.

• got it, thanks guys)

• @sammy

I think we have few discussions on this. If you remove all except equipment it is mike and preamp quality (either in recorder or separate), ADC and recorder features are not very important unless it is utter cheap crap.

• @Vitaliy I'm not sure what you mean with the whole walkman thing – didn't the earlier walkmans and mobile CD players play higher resolution than the mp3 movement?

I wasn't saying it started with ipod... I was just giving that as a popular example.

• @sammy Order of Importance: Talent/Performance, Acoustics/mic placement, microphone, Preamp, Convertors.

Of course, sometimes talent, performance, and acoustics cannot be under complete control of engineer, so... yea, I guess I'd start out with good mic.

• HRTF - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

I'm of the belief that the high sample rates help to preserve the time and phase differences that we can detect. The previous assertions have been about volume and hearing frequency range.

Again, nature of our ear do not allow this :-)

The whole clicking experiment was in 'Audio World' several years ago and out of interest I tried it for myself.

OK. In this case make math and logic basis here step by step.

Other listening tests witnessed by the author have made it quite clear that the sound quality of a chain is generally regarded as better when it runs at 96kHz than when it runs at 48kHz, and that the difference observed is ‘in the bass’. "

Doubly blind tests unfortunately show that this guys can't detect 96Khz recordings :-)

• @Vitaliy

Where I wasn't clear is that it 2Mb/s DSD starts to make sense, 192/24 is about 9.2Mb/s (Stereo).

Your link in a step leads me to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaural_time_difference

Which suggests that it is either time or phase that is being detected, time for impulse, phase for tones, particularly above 1500Hz (ITD and ILD). A click is an impulse.

I'm of the belief that the high sample rates help to preserve the time and phase differences that we can detect. The previous assertions have been about volume and hearing frequency range.

The whole clicking experiment was in 'Audio World' several years ago and out of interest I tried it for myself.

Your link also leads to : https://www.meridian-audio.com/ara/coding2.pdf in which Bob Stuart says:

"Other listening tests witnessed by the author have made it quite clear that the sound quality of a chain is generally regarded as better when it runs at 96kHz than when it runs at 48kHz, and that the difference observed is ‘in the bass’. "

This ties up with a lecture from Richard Lord I attended a good few years ago. Bob Stuart's conclusions are on page 19, the rough synopsis is that 58K/20bit

I have vinyl, CDs, DSDs, SACDs and DVD-As at home. I agree that vinyl struggles against CD in many aspects. I have a 1960 recording of 'Take-5' which was transcripted from 30ips tape to DSD which shows me that great audio was available back then. I also have a SACD from a Police recording (Sting,Summers,Copeland) which I find very unpleasant to listen to.

From my diving medical I know that I have a hearing notch at 12KHz and Tinnitus which by rights should give me pretty poor hearing on a 'golden ear' basis. Therefore I can't argue that much!

• As a very simple experiment, if you have someone stand 2 metres behind you and click their fingers most men can detect when the clicking has moved about 30cm. If you do a little trig and math you find that the time difference between click arriving at the left and right ear is very small, double it for Nyquist and 2Mhz sampling rates start to make sense.

LOL.

I hope you are jocking. It is not true. Including very bad logic and math defects in your statements and not understanding how localization works.

First. Click on the article and read how our ear works, can check medic literature after it.

Second. Put "HRTF" in the google and spend some time reading that it is. To be short, time difference is not the only thing that is used for localization.

Third. With time difference. Huge flaw is that you mixed all things without properly understanding that they mean and make "shocking" conclusion. Hope after reading flaw with mixing wrong things will become clear.

It is believed that one of the reasons that good vinyl can sound better than CD is that the timing differences between the left and right channels are better preserved

You are joking here again :-)

Try to read how vinyl player work, it'll just become obvious why it sounds always inferior to any good CD player (under good I do not mean "high cost", just designed properly).

• @vitaliy The very high sampling rates make most sense to male hearing.

As a very simple experiment, if you have someone stand 2 metres behind you and click their fingers most men can detect when the clicking has moved about 30cm. If you do a little trig and math you find that the time difference between click arriving at the left and right ear is very small, double it for Nyquist and 2Mhz sampling rates start to make sense.

The time difference is : 0.0000657 seconds.

It is believed that one of the reasons that good vinyl can sound better than CD is that the timing differences between the left and right channels are better preserved.

• @kingmixer

Mobile started from this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkman and car/mobile radios , not iPod :-)

• I would say more compressed sound was pretty well popular before mobile devices like ipods and phones became commonplace. Upload a commercial track from 80s then upload a commercial track from the 90s... that's probably the most drastic difference you'll see, and it was a bit before the mobile took off too much.

I misunderstood when you said noise floor, I thought you meant the noise floor of the track/recording itself. I agree that you do need more compression for different environments – it's like, when you watch a movie on an airplane vs in a theatre, you definitely want a lot more dynamic range in one and not the other.

• It started out of continuing competition for outstanding sound compared to other companies, and the fact that human hearing percieves louder sounds as being "better" or atleast more sonically full (we hear more frequencies more evenly at louder volumes)

Please, read it carefully. In mass it started with people going mobile with high background noise. With such listening conditions you MUST use compression as keeping dynamic range either kills music even more or kills someones hearing.

While it is perfectly true that we like louder sound more and that compressed sound were widely used already before mobile players(but not so in mass), main reason here is also radio stations who wanted to be better... in the cars.

• I have to disagree that loudness wars started as answer to background noise levels. It started out of continuing competition for outstanding sound compared to other companies, and the fact that human hearing percieves louder sounds as being "better" or atleast more sonically full (we hear more frequencies more evenly at louder volumes)

With digital, we have quieter noise floors than ever, and loudness war has been getting worse.