Personal View site logo
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • @Vesku Pretty cool findings. After thinking it through I guess it makes sense. Darker lighting needs a boost vs perfect lighting. I've fought that battle while trying to color correct or grade my footage. Especially regarding saturation. You can crank up the saturation in post all you want but if there's no color there.... there's no color there. duhh. Thanks for posting you results with pics. Really helps.

• Glad to hear that this might help someone. There are limitations using High Dynamic filter. Exposure and WB is automatic and it uses horrible standard sharpening and nr. So you must do something in post but there is more information to handle with.

• @maddog15 No worries! Glad you're busy and working. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional info.

• a fast try for a kind of hdr video, a huge curve in mids with luma curve and then unsarp mask with high radius for clarity and some cc with 3waycc in leaves to be more green, unfortunately neat video is needed because the balcony was black

• Here are better examples of GH3 HDR video filter. I shooted a RAW-photo, HDR video and normal video in same situation. Then I graded them to match colors. I digged maximum amount of dyn range from RAW photo.

RawPhoto-sample.jpg
    663 x 663 - 164K
    HDRvideo.jpg
    663 x 663 - 152K
    Natural-5.jpg
    659 x 659 - 187K
  • @Vesku I cannot understand the way you made your hdr video, can I see the video instead of frames?

• Does he mean I dynamic mode?

• @starios, @Sph1nxster

Do you have GH3? Arent you discovered the features GH3? There is lot of fun stuff. This feature is under "artistic filters (in mode dial artist board and brush). Lot of these are crap but this HDR is useful sometimes. It is not real HDR wich builds of several exposures. It uses hole sensor dynamic to make photo or video (must use video button). Picture profile is hard but in post you can get reasonably results. I wont load any video because of data limitations and in this case it wont add more info to this matter.

• I thought this was only for stills, yep, it's fun, unfortunately the exposure is auto

• Yeah, I think we're talking about HIGH DYNAMIC and IIRC, it's available only in Creative Mode and not Manual Movie mode. So, there are some things you can't control, which is an issue. Still, knowing that the option exists in the camera means it would be an awesome option to hack, if possible.

• I would prefer a hack to use the advantage of 60p in 1080 to split them in 30+30 with alternating iso then blending in camera or in post, I dont mind :)

• Yep I think HDR is being confused with HD - High Dynamic and IR - Intelligent Resolution. HDR is for exposing and layering stills... I'm pretty sure. I've tried it a couple of times but I use my GH3 for video 95% of the time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case, since this thread is about best GH3 video settings, this is off topic. @Vesku You should start a new topic on HDR. I'm sure many would enjoy this discussion and your findings regarding photography. :)

• @maddog15

These examples are frames from VIDEO. I am not talking about still photography. Yes the exact term is "creative mode/high dynamic" not iDynamic or HDR. And yes exposure is automatic but you can control FPS, color amount (WB-button), and EV. There is also some kind of limiter - iso is not going up much.

It is annoying that GH3 wants to decide so many things itsef and not even show what it is doing. Like exposure values or iso value when automatic modes.

I have VIDEOd nice dark city scenes with A 1.7 lens and I am going to VIDEO Christmas lights with this feature. Shiny and bright colors remain in shots much better with this option.

• Driftwood's video, exploring the different Scene and Creative Modes. High Dynamic is about 6:05 in.

• My take on using both GH2 and GH3 together. Earlier posted in showcase section. Read description for details on grading. This is anamorphic btw.

• @elkanah77 Looks great. Very nice.

• Kinda off topicO Anyone seen a Gh3 rental place in Los Angeles?One of my cams just went down and I have a weekend shoot.

• @SuperSet I could potentially rent you mine. PM me.

• @SuperSet I always rent my extra cams from Borrowlens.com. They are very reasonable for a weekend shoot.

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Panasonic_Lumix_DMCGH3_Mirrorless_Digital_Camera

• Thanks kupchenpo. Unfortunately, it won't arrive in time so I was looking for a local LA rental house. 5thwall - sent a PM so please call, if available.

• New examples of Creative control/High dynamic video in GH3

GH3-HDR.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 229K
    GH3normal.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 218K
  • @Vesku how did you managed to record 4 by 3?

• It is cropped frame to save Vitaliys space. Height is 1080.

• @elkanah77 extremely impressive

• @Vesku would it be too much to ask to see the videos, a 3 / 4 secs of each?