Personal View site logo
Short GH2 film - A summer in Belorussia
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Very impressive short. It captures a lot of what has seemed to be lacking since the long demise of 16mm celluloid and the sort of verite material I associate with it. Most immediately it reminds me of Chantal Akerman's D'Est. I found a clip of it here:

• Wonderful, just wonderful! Love the pacing and your choice of framing. The shot at 12:07 - genial! I especially like your use of sound, weaving together images in a very poetic way. Thanks for sharing this with us! Fort bien!

• This is fabulous!

• @DanPV Thank you so much for taking the time to write such beautiful things. I was a very surprised by your comments, I didn't imagine that this short could make such an impression to someone not directly involved in the film. To be perfectly clear I made a little short fiction 15 years ago with a group of friends, but it was with a super 8 camera, and it was a true team work (here on Dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4inh2_il-diablo_shortfilms) - and I did nothing else after.

I uploaded the film on Vimeo, and your right, apparently no problems with copyright matters. But it is at the price of a drastic downgrade in terms of image quality, because I had to compress the film so that it stayed under the 500 M limit, witch is quite low for more than 17 minute. I have added a title, following your suggestion. The result is here, but I think that YouTube might be a better place for this short in terms of image quality :

Thank you again for sharing your impressions and advice!

• @sulph - A few more suggestions: It seems like Youtube is blocking your film from playing on mobile devices due to music copyright restrictions. I suggest hosting it on Vimeo - it seems like the major music labels don't hassle you about the music you use there. I also tried your www.ireina.net links but video only plays for about two seconds and then stops.

• What a wonderful film. I've watched it several times. It reminded me of the travelogues I used to go see with my grandmother many years ago. What I especially liked is that your cinematography (not sure if that's the right word) and music don't get in the way of the the story. After the first minute I forgot I was watching a film because I got wrapped up in the stories told in each section. The music you chose is beautiful yet isn't distracting.

For contrast, here is a link to another travel film about a trip two guys made to Canada:

It is beautifully filmed with the all the trendy shallow depth of field shots, slider shots, pans etc. but it seems to me that rather than telling a story they are just showing off their camera skills. The music is totally distracting. They close their film with this: "We have travelled 7,000kms, met many great people on the way, hit rock bottom and had an unforgettably great time." Questions I have are where are the great people they met on the way? What is the rock bottom they hit? The only thing their film depicts is lots of scenery and two hipsters having an "unforgettably great time". I'm happy they had a great time but since that is all they depicted it results in a one dimensional boring film.

Your film has suspense (when the airplane has a rough landing), a sense of time passing (with the timelapses and fade to black transitions) interesting scenery and fascinating characters (that old lady with the babushka is adorable) and you have a perfect ending with the two women and child walking away.

The only suggestions I have that may improve your film would be to start with a few seconds of a title. Then in the first scene I would include a shot of your companion doing something to prepare for landing (such as buckling her seatbelt) to help reinforce that the flight is about to end. Those are minor quibbles and I only mention them because you asked. I have a hard time believing this is your first film but I guess I'll have to take your word for it!

• @matt_gh2 I followed your advice and its now on Youtube. I have updated my first post. Thank you for your kind words!

• Had trouble with the streaming from that site, but god damn the first 2 minutes was great! You've got an interesting eye. Get out there and make more movies - you're good! (Maybe put it up on YouTube so we can watch without streaming problem.)