Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • Here is a example of the jitter effect on my 12-35. Probably similar to what the 35-100 users are experiencing. Subtle but very annoying and not what I expected from the expensive lens OIS stabilization. Image is not floating as smooth as with other camera systems stabilization. Premiere example is just as a reference, not expected from the lens alone.

• @MikeA Have you installed the firmware update for this lens? It corrects this problem.

• nex-5t_20.jpg
    505 x 295 - 31K
  • @MikeA - What firmware revision for your lens? What shooting parameters (fps, f-stop, ss, ETC, and such)? Which camera/FW are you shooting with?

If you can, try to film in 1080p30 with ETC mode enabled, maximum zoom, 1/60, f4 or so and just hold it steady for about 15 seconds or so. No zoom...no pan.

• Since Panasonic never released a firmware for the GH2 beyond 1.1, does the 12-35 and 35-100 exhibit these same stabilization issues? If so, the "fixes" are only good for the GH3?

Or am I missing something here?

For the most part, these lenses would sure fit the bill, but I'm worried about investing the money for my GH2.

Anyone try these on the Blackmagic Cinema 2.5k and 4k cameras?

• I think the lens firmware is what fixed the issue not the body firmware. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• I am using the 12-35mm with GH3 on a Hexacopter and the stabilisation is perfect, no issues at all.. I haven't bothered trying it on GH1 or GH2 as I thought it was not perfectly compatible from memory. cheers

• Works fine on a BMPCC, stabilization is good, only AF is veeeery slow.

• The 12-35 decision is also on my table as i got MAD switching primes ... I will sacrifice (sell) my loved Oly 12mm black for this...

But for me the important question is: do I need the OIS that desperately? or do I just wait for the Oly 12-40mm? There are clear advantages of the 12-40 as shorter min focus distance, focus clutch, 5mm more range ...

so is the OIS really that effective? I guess its only effective for micro-shakes and not able to compensate the movement when walking with attached mono-pod only? Anyone has a good example video made when walking with/without OIS?

Nevertheless I will end up testing both lenses in a local shop .. but the judgment on OIS might get difficult right there.

would be glad about opinions and inputs...

• The OIS helps a lot with jelly-cam effects, aka rolling shutter…

• This is literally a few minutes of footage and a few minutes screwing around with an 'edit'...overly graded yadda yadda but I just had to share, the GH3, Varavon loupe, 12-35 and ability to go to 2.3x crop or 60fps when needed is just a damn amazing little kit. I am pushing to have personal video feel more like the way I feel with personal photography, motivated to shoot, fun to quickly edit, great results...and this tech is getting me closer. I fucking love this camera and the X lenses.

• I just wanted to say how awesome this lens is for landscapes. The quantity of details that it captures is incredible, and the colors look vibrant and very natural. It's small and easy to carry, which is a big bonus in landscape photography when you must walk for hours, and it's a charm to use. I have no negatives about this lens.

You can check a collection of beautiful landscapes of rice fields in rural Thailand here:

http://gonzalobroto.blogspot.com/2014/01/digital-skies-watercolors-in-isan.html

• Hello, I use this lense with BM pocket camera. It not changes exposure (diafragma) at 7.3, 10, 16 and 21 stops. Is it normal behaviour? I mean every changes from f2.8 up to f22 I can hear and see how diafrahma steps. But it's skip 7.3, 10, 16 and 21 value. Thank you.

• Yesterday I tested my new 12-35 and I'm really satisfied:

• @odessa

While I wouldn't use 16 (not even speaking of 21) on a small sensor, my lens doesn't show that behavior.

• @nomad

Thank you. Strange. Friend of mine has the same. Do you use BlackMagic Pocket Camera? So, without zoom you start to encrease stops from 2.8... and hear/see steps for every f value? For me it looks like BM camera has 24 steps from 2.8 to 22. But Panasonic fisicaly can handle just 20 in total, so some stops will be skiped.

• I'll check for you after a cup of coffee. This lens is on my BMPCC right now.

• @odessa My 12-35mm on Pocket Cam has no such problem. I can set 7.3, 10, 16 and 21 value.

• @odessa

Mine is fine too.

• Well, I have to admit that I didn't test all zoom positions. It might be possible that Panny is making it constant aperture by electronically adjusting and that might influence it. At which zoom position do you observe that behavior?

• Mine is fine, but my last one wasn't - my first copy had some weird aperture problem, each time it was powered up it would go all way up to 22 and stay there.

• @nomad - Well, I have to admit that I didn't test all zoom positions. It might be possible that Panny is making it constant aperture by electronically adjusting and that might influence it. At which zoom position do you observe that behavior?

My test is at NO zoom position. I have the same filling as you, while zooming lens gradually adjusting aperture. And this value that skip at NO zoom will be changed. Like 7.3 will work, but next one skiped and different zoom position.

It's seems like BM has 24 steps of aperture, but my lens able to produce just 20. in total. It will skip some of aperture steps. Still strange that some has it, and some not. I have last firmware on my pocket.

• @last_SHIFT - my first copy had some weird aperture problem, each time it was powered up it would go all way up to 22 and stay there.

Hmm.. I have the same. After power up, it goes to 22, but then you can change it.. right? maybe it some new rev. of Panasonic bahavie like this. My supplyer assure me it's last new version. )