Personal View site logo
Sony A7 and A7r , FF gems, like GH3 but FF
  • 261 Replies sorted by
  • I am very excited about these cameras. I have a load of FD glass, some M-mount glass, a little e-mount. Been shooting stills on a nex-6. (Video on my GH-3.)

All of the strengths are apparent and way outweigh the one annoyance I currently perceive - that shutter sound! Forget discrete shooting, which is a serious bummer. I will have to hear it but I have not taken many shots with my nex-6 due to the noise it makes.

Josh from The Camera Store later commented (in eoshd) that he was disappointed my softness and moire in the video image but otherwise pleased with the functionality.

For non-German speakers, the video above is more general overview but he is certainly impressed. And you get to learn about a new elephant park!

@Renovatio It would be great if it worked that way but it doesn't. Read up a little on e-mount crop mode on this camera and you'll see. Basically, you cannot stretch coverage of the lens beyond a format it was designed to cover.

• Let me understand, please guys: why on internet i read about 35mm f2.8 as the first good option for this, when there are already so many e-mount lens such as the 35mm f1.8 Alpha E-Mount OSS? The lens mount is not going to have all this lens? Or we need an adapter...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_E-mount#Available_lenses

EDIT: Sorry, was writing this post veeeeery slowly (cause i'm not english) and didn't read the post before.

So, all the hype goes down. Yes, it's a BIG news to don't buy HUGE FF as Canon or Nikon are, and it's also a little cheaper, but you have to wait for the RIGHT lens.

Also, if you invested on m43 camera and m43 lens, nothing change. Maybe, with an adapter (eventually, will the m43 lens "cover" all FF size? Or "black corners" on the screen? Thanks).

• @Revovatio Scroll down to the three comparison images re crop lens coverage. This would be even more dramatic with a m43 specific lens on FF. http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-7-7r/

The new 35/2.8 is designed to cover FF. The 35/1.8 is crop lens and will not cover FF. No lens adapter can overcome this.

• Ok, i have found my new OM-D partner ;)

• @WalterH Thanks for all the info. Really dramatic!

Ok, i'll stay on the m43 system. Maybe it begins a new era, camera with mft sensors will become cheaper, up the ff sensors. Maybe, just an idea.

• Look at it this way: if MFT camera's want to continue to compete in the "stills" world they need to make the camera's smaller and smaller and cheaper and cheaper. If MFT camera's want to continue to compete in the "video" world they need to release new features like ProRes or RAW recording etc. Because of the FF mirrorless camera's coming out, it should trigger the next generation batch of MFT camera's to be pretty impressive to say the least.

• Doubts, doubts...in December I'll buy an GX7 and some m4/3 glass, but sometimes I wonder if it is a good investment - at least for about 2-3 years.

• Get full set of Samyang primes, Sony A7 and live happily :-)

• It's because I think that m4/3 will continue to be a very valid (and used) format for video, but not so sure for stills - but this is outside the scope here. :)

Sony allowed The Verge to take some images with the A7r. Bad move - the photos are crap. :)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/16/4844336/36-megapixel-images-shot-with-the-sony-alpha-7r

• sony20.jpg
    639 x 426 - 99K
    sony21.jpg
    638 x 425 - 80K
  • BIONZ X also brings two new features. Diffraction-reducing technology combats the effects of diffraction limiting, improving detail at smaller apertures. Interestingly, the effect applied is both lens and aperture specific, and said to work even with Alpha-mount lenses shot through an adapter. It also has what Sony bills as "Detail reproduction technology", which tries to draw out finer details without creating halos in the process

And here we have deconvolution :-)

• People on the other camera forums are amazed at how small the 36MP A7r is compared to the 36MP Nikon D800E that beat the 40MP Pentax 645D on the Pentax Forum ! http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/nikon-d800e-vs-pentax-645d/conclusion.html#conclusion

36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 493K
    36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E back view.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 481K
    36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E side view.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 340K
    36MP Sony A7r vs 36MP Nikon D800E top view.jpg
    2560 x 1600 - 465K
  • So, is it true OM lenses can go perfectly on the A7 without crop or problems?

Edit: also, uncompressed video with an external recorder. But how?

Edit 2: in any way i see, i'm realizing they do the best thing they could do in the worst way ever, with a different E-mount.

• Are you talking m4/3rd OM lenses ? No, the A7 has a full frame sensor. The A7 has the same E mount as the NEX cameras. The A7 should work like the Sony NEX-VG900 full frame E mount camcorder using the Atomos Ninja 2 to record uncompressed video.

• @joe1946

No, i was thinking to OM lens, legacy (or vintage? Don't know as you called them) lens.

• Use the OM-NEX adapter with Olympus 35mm SLR lenses on the full frame A7, A7r and VG900. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wKJWbGGHL.jpg

• @ Renovatio With friendship and warmth, I suggest you start searching these forums and those on other sites and using google search for topics such as "crop factor" and "legacy lens mirrorless", etc. I understand your struggle/curiosity as I was in a similar place once too.

But much of what you are asking has now been covered here and other places exhaustively. This is a supportive community but there is also an expectation of bringing some reflective inquiry to bear.

Do some searching. You will learn a lot and further inquiry will then also contribute.

P.S. I know personally what a struggle working in a second language can be, but your grasp seems solid. Just need to do some research...

• TheCameraStore posted their comments on A7 video capabilities. Lot of Moire and soft image. They still prefer the GH3.

https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/2013/10/15/sony-a7-a7r-hands-field-test

• I advice everyone to read this article, I think he is one of the most in depth writers in the photography industry. He doesn't do hype, he does facts.

----Links removed by VK -----

Sony made some weird choices: the NEX is their best selling line in terms of market share, it seems like they are killing it. They are also doing exactly the same as with the NEX: launch good bodies with horrible lens line-up. This system is only going to get really interesting in 2015. As you can read, the lenses need special optimisations because of the short flange distance. Zeiss and Sony lenses will have this correction, but all currently available lenses won't have those optimizations. I also noticed that almost all lenses are 1 stop slower than in comparing lens systems.

I hope the video quality will be good, especially the A7 has interesting specs for that.

• Sony made some weird choices: the NEX is their best selling line in terms of market share, it seems like they are killing it.

This is bullshit wrote by few guys on the net.

They are also doing exactly the same as with the NEX: launch good bodies with horrible lens line-up. This system is only going to get really interesting in 2015.

How so? They announced good lenses with it. Any E mount lens work perfectly in APS-C mode. You can mount almost anything on E mount, including amazing old lenses.

I think he is one of the most in depth writers in the photography industry. He doesn't do hype, he does facts.

He is one of most interesting guys writing things to boost sales of specific cameras and smartly add doubts to others. He is not a good guy to read, quite the contrary.

• @Sohus sorry but there are so many inaccuracies in what you wrote. Especially the 1 stop slower comment. So much for facts.

• @sohus

Yeah 1 stop slower makes no sense. It just doesn't work that way. Also lenses can be adapted, they don't need to be optimized. If you want to use all the auto features of the camera you can adapt canon glass via the Metabones EF to E-Mount Smart adapter. You can also adapt Nikon and any other full frame glass via adapters, but they will be manual.

Note: the current Metabones Smart Adapter (version 3) only works with APS-C so you'd have to use it in crop mode. Also you can use the Metabones EF to E-Mount Speed Booster Smart adapter in crop mode as well to gain a stop and still end up full frame.