Personal View site logo
RODE videomic VS the PRO version
  • 43 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Your recommendations carry a lot of weight Vitaliy. I have the Rode video mic and am not unhappy with it but want a balanced mic for the AC160 and the H4N's.

Amazon has the MXL FR-300 ten dollars less than ebay. http://www.amazon.com/MXL-FR300-Inch-Shotgun-Microphone/dp/B0029YPGQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347496547&sr=8-1&keywords=MXL+10%22+inch+Camcorder+Shotgun+Condenser+Microphone+Mic

Do you still like the MXL for an inexpensive mic?

• @peternap

http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/field-recording/FR-300/

Yep, it is very good mike, it is sensitive and quality is good. Plus price is really good.

Feedback from guys at comments at:

I have this mic and have had surprisingly good results for the price. Very surprising. I also own a Rode NTG-2 and a Sennheiser MKH-416. In side-by-side tests of the this mic against the Senn ($1000 US) I was blown away. The MXL has a virtually identical sound quality and timbre, but slightly more self-noise. Is the Senn $850 better than the MXL, in my opinion no way. The Rode is noisier than both so I never use it anymore.

It is all about 304. For me, it is too long, and not sensitive mike.

http://www.mxlmics.com/microphones/field-recording/FR-304/

With small recorders we use you need most sensitive mikes, as recorders preamps mostly sucks.

• Thanks! It'll be here Friday.

• Still waiting for the premiere of the Videomic HD in 2013..

• @fosterchen I'm not real excited about that. It looks like a videomic Pro glued on a squashed H4n. I'd rather have the component items....I guess it depends on the price

• Hello guys!

I need help!

Since there is 2.5" jack connector on the GH2, I ordered a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter to connect my Rode Videomic with it.

I was pissed off when noticed GH2 is not able to handle the mic, not even recognize it.

I am sure GH2 needs a special 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

Can somebody show me an ebay link to a simple adapter which works with the GH2 properly?

Waiting for your help guys!

• @JCVD

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3583/2.5mm-to-3.5mm-audio-adapter

As they are quite cheap I can recommend buying as many various as you can get and test them all. I got one here from amazon Germany.

• I ordered a RVM Pro for the BMPCC as it's the only small DSLR mic with a 20+ db boost. Unfortunately it does not record audio neither on the BMPCC nor on a Canon. I can hear the boost of the noise when switching to +20db and knocking on the body too - but no recording audio. I tested two batteries also another mic on the cameras which worked. Is there a possibility that I made a mistake in setting up or is it just dead on arrival?

• @peaceonearth I'd contact Rode to see what they say. Maybe first check the camera menu or camera manual to see if there's a menu setting to select audio source (might be a choice of on-board mic, versus the mic input) - just a guess.

• @matt_gh2 thanks for the hint. I don't think it's the camera settings as it works with the rode stereo mic and it's the same fault on two different cameras.

• @peaceonearth Once you get it working, I'd love to hear what you think of the Pro vs the Rode Stereo. I tried a Rode Video Mic about 4-5 years ago (it was probably the Rode Stereo) and didn't like the quality, so I'm curious if you're seeing an improvement. That Rode Video Mic from 4-5 years ago was noisy as hell.

• I'm bringing up this thread up again because I have the same question as when this started, but applied for the GH3. While I know that numerous tests show that the Videomic Pro is much better than the Videomic on the GH3 when turning on the +20 and lowering the input level all the way down, I would like to know if anyone here uses the Videomic on the GH3 and what settings.

I bought a Videomic for my GH2 some months ago. At that time I didn't get the pro version because the +20 was not important in the GH2 camera - according to other tests online. However, I have now upgraded to the GH3 and I can't get the Videomic Pro at the moment. So, I'm stuck with the original Videomic. I tried lowering the input levels all the way down like I used to do in the GH2 but it goes way too low, I am thinking maybe somewhere around level 10 would be similar to the GH2 all the way down. Anyone has test this, or anyone has the Videomic on the GH3?

• VideoMic Pro is updated

• Rycote® Lyre® shock mounting onboard
    • All new capsule with lower noise and higher sensitivity

http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicpro

panasonic_g16.jpg
    800 x 560 - 40K
  • It´s good they changed the shock mount on the PRO too - The rubber holders of the original version are slipping off quite easily - AND the mic is always hanging a little bit to the front - Especially with a windscreen attached ...

• RODE VideoMic Pro Overview

• Hi.

@ Vitaliy_Kiselev

"Pro version is smaller and have preamp."

Is the preamp useles, if the camcorder has mic-in-power? For example Sony AX53.