Personal View site logo
Nikon D800 topic

Specifications:

• A 51-point AF system for improved subject acquisition and focus performance under dim lighting. In addition, 11 focus points (five at center with an addition three to each side) are fully functional when lenses with a maximum aperture of f/8 are used.
    • A 3.2-inch, approximately 921k-dot LCD monitor with reinforced glass, automatic monitor brightness control, and wide viewing angle
    • A virtual horizon that shows the degree to which the camera is tilted sideways (roll), or forward or backward (pitch) with display in the monitor and viewfinder
    • A new shutter unit that has passed testing for 200,000 cycles and supports a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 s and flash sync speed of 1/250 s
    • Continuous shooting at 4 (FX-format/5 : 4 image area) or 5 (DX-format/1.2x image area) fps*
    • CompactFlash and SD dual memory card slots
    • Support for SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0)

The D800 records movies exhibiting superior resolution with optimal processing of information acquired from the 36.3-million pixel image sensor. Recording of 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies is supported, and users can choose to record using the FX-based movie format or the DX-based movie format according to recording conditions. The FX-based movie format offers a shallow depth-of-field with an emphasis on blur characteristics while the DX-based movie format enables recording of movies that bring subjects closer when lenses with short focal lengths are used. The D800 is also equipped with a headphone jack and supports precise adjustment of microphone sensitivity. In addition, it supports simultaneous display of movies or the movie live view display in the camera monitor and on an external monitor. Further, the D800 responds to the needs of professionals who require uncompressed movie files with the ability to record movies directly to an external HDMI recorder in movie live view mode. The D800 also offers a time-lapse photography function that captures images at a selected interval and then combines the images to create a time-lapse movie that shows the changes in a particular scene that occur over time.

Nikon D800 price: $2999.95 Nikon D800E price: $3,299.95

Available at:

Links:

• 246 Replies sorted by
  • Nikon ME-1

• I love Philips work, but he is incorrect in this instance. Because both camera's are down scaling from a 36 mp source there is no difference in the video from the cameras. Also have used the bitrate hack, very useful and definitely makes a difference if you have a lot of movement or are shooting at higher ISO's.

• Philip Bloom says the D800E is terrible for video. Anyone have experience comparing D800/800E for video? Also wondering if anyone has tried Nikonhacker's patch for 64MBps video

• New firmware released

• Custom Setting f13 has been changed to Assign Movie Record Button.
    • With Custom Setting f13 changed to Assign Movie Record Button, Assign MB-D12 AF-ON is now Custom Setting f14.
    • Custom Setting f15: Assign Remote Fn Button has been added.
    • Support for CompactFlash memory cards with capacities greater than 128 GB has been added.
    • When AF-ON only was selected for Custom Setting a4 (AF activation) and the AF-ON button was pressed to initiate autofocus during viewfinder photography, focus remained locked even after the user took their finger off the button, and the shutter could be released at any time. However, specifications have been modified so that the shutter cannot be released under the following conditions if the camera fails to focus.

• Autofocus mode is set to AF-S (single-servo AF)
      • AF-area mode is set to Single-point AF
      • Custom Setting a2 (AF-S priority selection) is set to Focus
    • When values for 12 or 18 lenses were stored with AF fine-tune > Saved value in the setup menu, only some of the lenses for which values had been stored were displayed under List saved values. This issue has been resolved.

• When the live view selector was set to live view photography with Custom Setting g4 (Assign shutter button) set to Record movies, a value for preset manual white balance could not be measured. This issue has been resolved.
    • When the built-in flash was set to Commander mode, remote Speedlights sometimes did not fire. This issue has been resolved.
    • In some rare cases, the memory card access lamp remained lit for longer than usual, and some time was required before any operations could be performed. This issue has been resolved.

• Why would anybody use the LCD to shoot stills on an SLR camera?

• yes, focusing can be hit and miss.. we did a couple of walks towards me..just as with most of the shots where dolly was at the beginning. Focus assistant with marks on the rig is a must, in such situations! thank you!

• @olegkalyan thanks for posting!
    I love the shot 1:45-1:48. If you did it, how did you keep it in focus, did you test before the shot? Was it a Ai-S lens?

I love to shoot in low-light with my D800, but just like by 2:40 it is a big problem to focus with fast lenses: while the eye is in focus, the nose is totally out of focus. No problem in this shot here, but if the singer just moved a bit to left or right out of her perspective....

• DrDave thank you for your comments, will do better next time, it's hard to lip sync, because in video, the singer does different things, more subtle, than in studio, or on the stage.

• @olegkalyan totally cool Pergolesi. I wish I had thought of shooting some scenes like that when I filmed it, the imagery is quite striking. The audio is slightly out of sync with the video, I just mention that in case you are going to use it for production. Easy to fix.

• shot with D800e

• A Russian girl for VK-

Kate Tumanova

KR4471web.jpg
    594 x 890 - 116K
    KT4322web.jpg
    594 x 920 - 187K
  • Very very nice footage from D800 and ninja recorder

• Really nice looking work here. Goes to show if you know what you're doing, you don't need too much gear. D800, Flycam nano, a slider an AIS glass. If we get Cinestyle as rumored - then FTW! Not that I love Cinestyle, but more so excited that we are getting the recognition and support, therefore more options. Fuck ML too, the RAW hack is great and all, but it just ushers in more incompetent fanboys and endless tests :-p

• @johnnymossville Thanks Johnny. If you liked that, try this video that I shot last week on my D800. It's just over 2 minutes long -- a casting video for a friend who wanted to audition for a part in a web series.

• @ahbleza Great looking video. I can't tell which is which. Every angle looks good and evenly graded. Nice work on your part.