Personal View site logo
Cleaning a Helipan vari ND filter
  • I was cleaning my vari ND filter and noticed that inside the filter is dirty as hell, i can even see mold. So i'm wondering how to pull the filter apart to get to the other side of the glass. I've unscrewed the little bolt on the side of the filter but have had no luck in breaking it apart. Any ideas?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • What does the other side look like? Some filters have slots for spanners just like lenses. Easy enough if you have the spanners.

• I am totally pissed off. I got a 77mm Heliopan Vari ND, and there is dirt and huge haze inside, between the two glass elements. This looks like a common issue, read the same here:

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/heliopan-77mm-vario-neutral-density-filter-reviews

I would expect german quality for 200 euro...

• same here. I have two and one 77mm stayed on a Canon lens for month. It looks smeary at the backside of the front filter. Damn.

• FYI: I sent my filter to Heliopan and asked them to clean it. They sent me a new one for free. Great customer service!

• Cleaning on mine (required every month or so, as some smeary haze develops inside) is easy: on the back side, on the inner glass diameter is a very thin ring with a thread which can be carefully screwed out with two fingers. Then the inner glas can be taken out.

• Has anyone managed to figure out how to clean the newer generation of the Heliopan vari-nd filters? The newer ones come with a thread filter at the front.

• @PiotrJ

There are two different versions: slim which has no front thread and standard which is thicker but has a front thread. I don't think there is something new.

• Has anyone separated the two glass elements in the standard (front thread) version of the filter for cleaning?