Personal View site logo
The welfare state of the 20th century is gone
  • In new society people must take responsibility for their own future and create their own social and financial safety nets, with less help from the national government.

The shift to a 'participation society' is especially visible in social security and long-term care.

The classic welfare state of the second half of the 20th century in these areas in particular brought forth arrangements that are unsustainable in their current form

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-king-willemalexander-declares-the-end-of-the-welfare-state-8822421.html

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Let's hope this is so.

• Let's hope this is so.

I do not think it is right words.

As it is same as "it's welcome winter and let's hope it'll be winter forever"

• @johnnymossville

That utopia already exists, throughout the so-called Third World. Not many capitalist heroes emerge from that part of the world, thanks to "less help from the national government".

• A few days ago I watched Alex Gibney's "Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream." I recommend it (Gibney has had consistently good and important work so I'd recommend everything of his that I've seen). But it goes to the heart of the matter. Unfortunately, being rich seems to make people heartless nutsacks.

I read a couple of weeks ago that in the last 5 years in the US, 99% of the income growth went to the top 1%. Literally true. And if you haven't seen this video yet, it's a real eye-opener.

• Fantastic, hopefully from the fall of the welfare state we'll see rise up a better & more successful society. :-)

I was shocked to watch last night that "Welfare Pays More than Minimum Wage in 35 States":

• All this in an age where automation is slowly taking over farming and manufacturing to such an extent that demand for certain types of human work practically disappears.

Funny thing is, some people think it is all bad.

• All this in an age where automation is slowly taking over farming and manufacturing to such an extent that demand for certain types of human work practically disappears.

It is wrong view, btw. As if you have energy and resources all automation do is just transfer workforce in other areas. Today it is not so, as you reached limits you basically save on this workforce, as it is smarter to have them at home at some social welfare.

• AFAIK many limits come from the fact that part of the workforce cannot be transferred to other types of work. Either they're too old to learn new trades to be as good at them as younger people, or plainly not the right material for demands of new work. So they cannot compete, and the question is to either leave them to try and survive on their own, or support them. It becomes a question about values - should the systems be intended to serve all, or just some.

• The question is how long this situation will last in our rich countries : let s say I put now an official countdown here in PV :-)

• The question is how long this situation will last in our rich countries : let s say I put now an official countdown here in PV :-)

If you mean workforce issues and issues in general, it'll last for centuries. And will be worse with each year.

• Haha I am the only one seeing here the irony of a king bemoaning the welfare state?

What's the emoticon for a belly laugh?

• @ppcroft

Noticed that as well, though it seems sad more than amusing. The speech was written by government for him to read out, so it's not quite as "let them eat cakes" as it could seem. Still, I suppose his and his ministers' families will have more social and financial safety nets than most of his citizens.

• Welfare for Corporations will probably continue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_welfare

Even Hollywood depends on foreign tax subsidies as part of its financing:

http://boingboing.net/2012/12/05/new-zealand-give-120m-subsidy.html