Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • sony_cam7.jpg
    800 x 595 - 64K
    sony_cam8.jpg
    800 x 591 - 42K
  • I've bought the nikon to 4/3 speedbooster and more on connection the gh2 than I've with any cheap adapter. Anyone else bought got the same?

• A comparison of the Leica 25/1.4 at f/1.4 vs Nikon 35/1.8 DX + Speed Booster = 25/1.2 at f/1.2 on a GF1 camera. Interestingly, the cheap Nikon lens plus SB has sharper corners than the Leica/Panasonic even when comparing f/1.2 vs. f/1.4.

25mm Pan vs 35mm Nik with SB.jpg
    700 x 1325 - 243K
  • @brianc1959 that's damn impressive!

• @brianc1959

I've been telling people since I received my Speed Booster that when using it with the right lenses you get great results. Many people only seem to concentrate on the negatives and not the positives. Thanks for posting.

• I am pretty sure that @brianc1959 is Brian Caldwell who developed the focal reducer in the MB Speedbooster. Thanks for posting more good results about edge sharpness on the MB SB!

• @brianc1959 Can't wait to see how my SpeedBooster performs with the Sigma 14-35mm f1.8 zoom. I'm guessing it's going to be pretty special.

• I use the SB with my collection of Contax lenses, which are some of the finest manual glass ever made, and they shine on the SpeedBooster too. It saved me from buying the single lens I couldn't afford, the 21mm by using the wonderful 28mm instead.

• Any news abotu the EF to MFT Speedbooster release? I have the bad feeling we might never see it happen....

The makers of these sorts of adapters claim that their condensing nature actually increases sharpness. For my usage, sharp lenses produce sharp results with the Lens Turbo, although even sharp lenses do see some softness towards the far edges. Softer lenses (like the Tamron 14mm in the edges, frankly) produce softer results. Lacking a glassless adapter to compare, I uploaded a full-resolution un-sharpened image taken with my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 100mm f/4 macro lens, which is a consistently sharp lens.

Likewise, lenses which vignette without the adapter also vignette with the adapter.

Via: http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-lens-turbo-for-sony-nex-cameras.html

turbo.jpg
    800 x 525 - 67K
    turbo1.jpg
    481 x 663 - 71K
    turbo2.jpg
    800 x 545 - 69K
    turbo3.jpg
    800 x 555 - 86K
  • wow peep the chromatic aberation around the text in the last pic. I wonder if that's the lens or the SB.

• I wonder if that's the lens or the SB

It is out of focus stuff. And pretty normal thing with lens like Pentax FA* 85mm f/1.4 .

• @vitaliy seems to me that's about the Lens Turbo, not the Speed Booster

• @dtr

Correct :-) My bad :-) But it is almost same shit and flowers are pretty, so I'll let it reside here also.

• PV, catering for all your pretty flower needs!

• "Correct :-) My bad :-) But it is almost same shit and flowers are pretty, so I'll let it reside here also."

The Metabones Speed Booster for micro four thirds is specially designed for that format, and has particularly good center-corner sharpness.

• "the eye of evil"...the worlds first! ;)

• What is up with those stated exposure settings??? Those guys are local. I'll have to drop by and check out the GH3 to Magic 8-Ball interface they must have created, lol.

• Where are my fellow Europeans getting their Speedboosters from? Direct from Metabones?

• @dtr yep. They send through FedEx (which I just hate). You'll likely have to pay import taxes and VAT (according to your country's laws)

• Come on people! Is there any footage available from the sigma 18 - 35 with the Speedbooster on a gh2/gh3? Thinking about selling my oly 12mm f2 to get this combo!

• Correct me if I am wrong: it is not possible to have an adapter WITHOUT lens (lens=garbage) and WITH infinity focus to attach m42 lenses to Nikons, since Nikon flange distance is greater than m42 flange distance (the m42 lens should go IN the Nikon body). The flange distance difference is afaik 1 mm. BUT, wouldn't it be possible to create a special lensless adapter for m42 lenses to attach to the Nikon Speedbooster, since there is no such "body intrusion" problem? That would be an ordinary lensless m42 to Nikon adapter machined to make the lens go 1 mm closer to the sensor. Would it work?

• @Bara Hopefully there'll be test footage of the Sigma 18-35 on a gh2 by this weekend. From what I've been told there's vignetting at 18mm but it's gone by 21mm (which equates to 15mm with speedbooster). The gh3 might not vignette at all. Details about imminent test on this link http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/146347#Comment_146347