Personal View site logo
Panning with GH2
  • Hi all,
    great works done here, many thanks to VK, I supported only with small amount of $ now but try to send more as I earn.

I have a question. While panning with GH2 (pure or hacked, doesn't matter) I get very strange effect. Shots played computer (MacPro in Europe) on LCD screen, shows a serious judder in many areas. Is there any way to avoid this and have nice panorama shot?

The only setting I could find without this effect is 59.57 but this is a soap-opera aesthethics and 720 height so nothing exciting though.

I would like to shoot 24p with ability of making panoramas without judder - is it possible?
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • I believe judder is a result of many factors, primarily write speed to the SD card and frame rate of the sensor. I think the hack lessens the amount of judder you would see but there's many other factors to be considered as well. For example you may be panning too quick or the amount of detail in the scene may be too much information that the sensor can extrapolate.

I'm by no means an expert, so I might be talking out my @$$. Can anyone with more experience verify this?
  • Been discussed recently, pls search the forum
  • @LittleSword_dot_PL I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, but perhaps it's simply that you are panning too fast for 24p to resolve the motion? A general rule of thumb is that is should take seven seconds for an object to cross the screen.

According to my old DVX100 book at 50mm (Z25 on the DVX) a 90 degree pan should take 21 seconds! Even at 32.5mm it's still 15 seconds.
  • same prob for every cam at 24p ; i posted in the gh2 sample topic a "motion test" in 24p and i don't see any prob specific to the gh2, his sensor, sd card or whatever ; like sam said, don't go too fast. Another trick is to always follow a subject (human, dog, bird, car ; anything that move !) so the audience wont notice the choppy background. It will be even better if you can have a short DOF and a blurred background. Blur smooth the motion.

For a fast landscape pan in long DOF without moving object to follow... you're fucked ! With GH2 & any 24p cam...
  • @LittleSword_dot_PL

Welcome to the funky world of 24p...
  • I believe that we have topic about the same subject already :-)