Personal View site logo
Microsoft bought Nokia
  • Microsoft to acquire Nokia Devices & Services, accelerating the Windows ecosystem

Nokia and Microsoft have always dreamed big – we dreamed of putting a computer on every desk, and a mobile phone in every pocket, and we’ve come a long way toward realizing those dreams.

Today marks a moment of reinvention.

Nokia has an identity spanning 150 years of heritage, innovation, excellence, and change which began and will continue in Finland and around the world. From humble beginnings as a paper mill factory, to manufacturing rubber boots and car tires, and then to mobile phones, reinvention is in Nokia’s blood.

Nokia will now write its next chapter, focused on enabling mobility through its leadership in networking, mapping & location, and advanced technologies.

For Microsoft as well, today is a bold step into the future, a huge leap forward on our journey of creating a family of devices and services that delight people and empower businesses of all sizes.

Our partnership over the past two and a half years, which combined our respective strengths to build a new global mobile ecosystem, has created incredible results: award-winning phones and amazing services that have made Nokia Windows Phones the fastest-growing smartphones in the world.

Building on this successful partnership, we announced some important news today: an agreement for Microsoft to purchase Nokia’s Devices & Services business, to deliver more choices, faster innovation, and even more exciting devices and services to our customers.

Today’s agreement will accelerate the momentum of Nokia’s devices and services, bringing the world’s most innovative smartphones to more people, while continuing to connect the next billion people with Nokia’s mobile phone portfolio.

Via: http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2013/09/02/the-next-chapter-an-open-letter-from-steve-ballmer-and-stephen-elop.aspx

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Big gets bigger.

• The heist was predicted:

1) Ex-MS Elop hired as CEO (he was called by Nokia employees a "Trojan horse")

2) Elop runs all previous Nokia phone-sales to the ground by announcing plan to move to Windows Phone, even before product is ready while sales Nokia N9 is restricted to a few countries.

3) When product is finally ready and selling ok, sell whole business to Microsoft for peanuts. Compare €3.79 billion for Nokia's Devices & Services unit + €1.65bn for a 10-year license on Nokia's patent portfolio with $8 billion for Skype)

4) Elop perhaps goes back to working to Microsoft (Ballmer gonna retire?)

• It was only matter of time. Maby better this way.

• The best would been not to use Windows Phone in the first place. Even Android would have been much better option. Although I'm happy with my Lumia 920, but there was too much damage done to the company already.

• Even Android would have been much better option.

It is not true, as abut 90% of all margin belong to Samsung. Many companies work in minus.

• In my opinion Nokia lost the game long back with symbian OS. It was good initially for the phone market. It was not the OS for the smart phone market.

When Nokia realized the mistake, they tried to correct mistake by going to the strongest OS in the market, Windows. Huge mistake again. Windows was for desktop then.

Now that Windows world realize the mistake of not going the hand held market, they decide to marry the once cherished trophy wife of hardware mobile phone market called Nokia.

This is marriage of desperation. Neither Microsoft nor Nokia has any strategic strength in their association. They wish. Stock holders pray.

Of course if the new couple henceforth start to breed children on the cutting edge of technology, there is still future for the offspring. Dad Microsoft is rich enough to tide off a decade or so of hostile environment. Son has pedigree, but nothing else that matters at the moment

• Microsoft = The Titanic trying to buy new lifeboats, but they keep buying lifeboats full of holes!

Charles Foster Kane: You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars next year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in... 60 years.

• The Microsoft Android Nokia (?) budget phone seems about to be released:

The numerous rumours (some from established tipsters) surrounding the speculated first Android phone from Nokia are slightly difficult to believe, what with Microsoft's takeover of Nokia's mobile devices and services division - why would the Redmond giant allow Nokia to offer a device on a competing platform? We'll have to wait to see if such a device actually arrives.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/nokia-x-budget-android-phone-launching-in-asha-series-in-march-report-478882

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/02/nokia-normandy-nokia-x-release-date-news-specs-round-up/