Personal View site logo
Tilta rig, follow focus, matte box, kits
  • 86 Replies sorted by
  • @Morphov looking at the picture JDN posted it looks like the should pad can be adjusted way back, or is it just me seeing it?

BTW as I already told Vitaly, I'm really interested in the Tilta rig. Anybody who can give me advice about its follow focus at least? My intention is to mount a full rig to use with Voigtlander 25mm, Helios 44-2, and Nikkor lenses adapted via Novoflex (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 105 macro). Really interesting if it worked all ok with the FF, as the Mattebox would give me the option to use 4x4 Lightcraft workshop ND Digi Pro filters with the 14-24 (it's such a superb lens...). Thanks.

• BTW as I already told Vitaly, I'm really interested in the Tilta rig.

And?

Anybody who can give me advice about its follow focus at least?

It is considered the best FF, as I know. Their and Lanparte one.

• Tilta FF is quite good, very sturdy, very low backlash (none at all if you move it one fraction of a millimeter away from the geared ring so that the FF and the ring are not pressed against each other -this tip also work for almost all FF- ). The two friction levels work great, feels like a real fluid friction system.

The whips are great and fit perfectly, the speedcrank is very hard to insert and remove at first but things gets better as you use, insert and remove it.

The Lanparte FF seems to be on the same overall quality level as the Tilta.

• @Raysito22 It seems that @JDN has extra gear than what's part of the Tilta kit. I thought the camera baseplate was attached to the shoulder pad. According to the picture you're pointing, it's not, which is good news. Anyway I'd still be glad if someone was kind enough to send a picture showing someone with the Tilta kit on his shoulder... or explaining exactly what is missing in the kit, to have the camera in front of the operator, and not on his side.

• @MorphoV and @Raysito22, sorry, looked through my stills and can't find a picture of me with it on my shoulder but here's a pic from the field. Let me know what specific questions you have -- happy to help the group.

IMG_3897.JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 4M
  • @JDN , thanks for helping me. My concern is about the shoulder pad. On Tilta website, the camera baseplate looks attached to it, but, on your pictures, it's obviously 2 different parts. Is this the shoulder pad you have?

Did you buy the complete Tilta rig? What extra items did you have to purchase?

TiltaShoulderPad.png
    772 x 520 - 99K
  • Nope -- that's not the one I got. I got the other one, I think sometimes referred to as "KIT B".

I ended up using the rail piece that was meant for the camera to hold the mixer and recorder (which doubled as a counterweight). I modded the original counterweight holder to hold my Dtap battery that powers everything through a bds, and then had a spare cavision rail mount which I used to mount the camera. Hope that helps.

• Hi everyone,

I have two questions; -Do you think that Tilta and Lanparte will upgrade their rig this year? Like a new version every year? -Vitaliy, would it be interesting to have a deal for a Tilta rig kit less equipped (like the Lanparte), and how much would it cost, same price than Lanparte?

Thanks in advance. Regards

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Hi, I bought the Complete solution with rig, FF and MB and would like to write a review about how I used it on my first shoot. Is this the place to post or should I be posting somewhere else?

• JDN, so you have this "shoulder rig" from Tilta? Just my opinion but this is terminator ridiculous. You want to have tilta FF and where precision counts but this is new ARRI, every micromillimeter counts (and costs).... Looking good though, offcourse, hope you are loving it too... If some new technology came out of it, like electronic FF or moving head that can be preprogrammed by any means, it would be NICE! In the meantime, this is just "my dad has a bigger tank than your dad" (and it costs less than Arri). Call Philip Bloom, oh wait, he's already in a relationship!

• Tilta FF is at my point of vue, really well build and really good.

• Tilta rig for BMC camera (19mm rails, complete with double FF, and MB)

tilta1.jpg
    772 x 520 - 87K
    tilta2.jpg
    772 x 520 - 83K
  • on the video above it looks huge.. is it the same as attached on the BMD CC? Someone told that Tilta has the same baseplate mount as Sachter. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks in advance

• Just got my Tilta BS-T03 shoulder base. Shipping is fast, one week from payment to delivery (with one day of public holiday in the middle).

Same overall build quality as their follow focus kit, everything is nicely made, well thought and sturdy. The product in itself is a killer, lightweight (100 grams lighter than Lanparte base plate + shoulder pad + 2 x 30 mm rails, and those do not attach to a VCT-U14), low profile, it is WAY easier to balance a rig with it than with a separate shoulder pad and camera base. Less counterweight force required means the overall weight and inertia of the rig also goes down. To me, Tilta pad feels more comfortable than Lanparte pad.

Overall it's a pleasure to carry on your shoulder, almost feels like a DSR450.

Things not shown on the picture :

• it comes with 2 x 10 mm and 2 x 20 mm rods + 2 x connectors.
    • the shoulder pad can be adjusted back and forth via a pair of hex screws (25mm range)
    • the version shipped has the new, updated camera plate shown below (I prefer this system, as I lost pretty quickly the two very small "blocking pins" on my follow focus baseplate).
    TILTA BASE PLATE_1.jpg
    600 x 398 - 93K
  • I am very interested in picking up Tilta gear, however I've done everything in my power to contact Tilta (http://www.tilta.tv/en/) and getting no response. I now at NAB they announced they have a new US retailer, but the price jump from their old prices for the exact same gear is a little bit of a joke to me. The old prices are all over youtube. Did this group ever get a bulk purchase done? I'm basically stuck looking at Ebay, which is still 70+ dollars more then the prices everyone previously got.

• Did this group ever get a bulk purchase done?

What group and what group buy you are talking about?

If you want to get any Tilta gear you can contact me.

• Thanks, I PMed you.

• @duch One of my concerns with this rig is that the GH2/3 will sit at your shoulder making the camera monitor unusable. But you mention about adjusting the shoulderplate further back. How far back can you adjust it?

• @sdes

You need external monitor or EVF. As for GH2, it is more optiomal to not mount it on such bases if you want to use it's EVF or screen.

• I see. Then Lanparte looks like a better option for the GH2/3.

• "Just got my Tilta BS-T03 shoulder base. Shipping is fast, one week from payment to delivery (with one day of public holiday in the middle).."

How did you go about ordering the Tilta BS-T03 shoulder base and what was the price? Thanks

• Im interested in the tilta mattebox. Is there a version with 2x 4x5.6 filter stages? Any chance it has a 138mm rear?

• Is there a version with 2x 4x5.6 filter stages? Any chance it has a 138mm rear?

They have Tilta MB-T04 with such specs, cost >$1000.