Personal View site logo
GH1 Stable 24p Setting
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • just tested the rigs patch set at gop3 and buffer at maximum....its looking good and giving me bitrates of 40mbps outdoors, am using carl zeiss G lens blogon 28mm 2.8 with ISO at 1600....when tested with Canon 50mm fd 1.4 the bitrate drop to 30mbps average
  • @DrDave Do you have a link to Blues's settings? Same as OP but with the 84 change?
  • WooHoo! Keeping GOP at 12 and bumping up the video buffer to 84,000,000 I recorded *native 24p* with a 50mm macro at F/5.6 the Shrub of Doom to my cheapo Transcend Class 10 card for two minutes, and regular outdoors stuff for longer. Up till now, the Shrub of Doom ate anything that came near it. Thanks to Rigs and Blues, will test further.
  • Blues is reporting stable 6 GOP after bumping up the video buffer to 84,000,000
    Hoping we are close to rock solid, great IQ in low light and smooth panning in GH1 at 24p native
  • Sad to hear the Sandisk crashed MrAnthony--thanks for testing. I already ordered my Sandisk, I guess I'll keep it if it gives a slight improvement. Would be interesting to try the 45 MB/sec version that is just out but I can't buy another flash card right now.
  • 1:15 seconds and 1:30 of foliage is probably more than most can stand to view as well as the camera.

I'm not sure how it compares in quality to LPowell's 100 Mbps hack, I'm pleased with the results so far. This one imports into Avid perfectly where with other patches I have had some trouble with +50Mbps files needing to be transcoded first, which is a step I would rather avoid. We have been using GH1 and GH2 for broadcast work for the past year and prefer the GH1 because it has less of a grainy look to it compared to the GH2. I have been playing with various GH2 patches and it does show an improvement in macroblocks but the overall image is still to detailed and grainy for my liking. I wish Vitality will continue to help improve the Ptools for the GH1 and add in some of the tweaks only available for the GH2. Perhaps this will lead to an improved 24p patch for all.
  • And just for comparison, the LPowell 100 Mbps hack crashes after 10 seconds of the same scene, even with a stop of underexposure, so your hack seems more stable, although I haven't been able to compare quality between the two hacks.
  • Okay, so I ran off the BestBuy to get a Sandisk 30 MB/sec Extreme card to test out the original hack. It still crashes, this time somewhere between 1:15 seconds and 1:30 after start of recording. Even underexposure by a full stop doesn't keep it from crashing. This is just not a good hack for bright outdoor light with lots of detail and small movement, like foliage in a breeze. I'll have to do more testing with artificial indoor lighting, but it was definitely more stable in that setting. Thanks for giving me some hope--I really would like to find a good outdoor 24P hack for the GH1, but will probably have to just get used to using the GH2, which seems to have a much better codec. Indoors, I have been using LPowells 100Mbps 24P hack, which is very stable except under the same conditions which crash your hack.
  • I ordered a Sandisk 32gb from Amazon as the price has come down a bit and it is nice to have one fast card in the card menagerie. I'll give it a spin! In the meantime, if anyone has a Sandisk AND a Transcend class 10 it would be interesting to see if it is indeed the card that is the bottleneck, and if the settings can be tweaked for more stability. I'm really liking the ISO 800 on Rigs's settings indoors.
  • Standard cards being what a class 4 or 6?. Thats why the GH1 has 17Mbps interlaced modes. Its hard to push this camera to its limits without faster cards. Sure wish there was an easy answer. This hack works well for me, sorry if you dont have the same results.
  • If you found settings that don't crash with a standard card, that is a major step forward.
  • Well, that was a bust. The quality sucked. Looks like there's more experimenting to do!
  • Okay, looking at your settings, the Overall Bitrate is 120,000,000 in the ini file, and your original post says 115,000,000 which is lower than Video Bitrate H (and is not recommended). Probably a typo.

I'm fairly certain that this bitrate of 120,000,000 will cause a crash in bright light. I wasn't planning on experimenting, but I lowered FHD to 75,000,000 and the overall and H to 100,000,000, and the L to 50,000,000 and I'm not getting crashes at all with the foliage, even with 24P checked and slight 1/3 stop underexposure.
  • Sorry for your crashes MrAnthony. It works great with my cards everytime, under exposed and over exposed as well. I must have one of those lucky Sandisk 30mb class 10 cards. My fim mode is set to - 2, 0, 0,-2.
  • Tried again today, with 1-1/3 stop of underexposure with the 24P hack. Still crashed repeatedly at about 45 seconds in. The LPowell Reliable patch (not 24P) doesn't, even at 1/3 stop underexposure. It could be my non-Sandisk card that's causing the crash, but I'd put my money on the GH1 codec at 24P.
  • Hmmm I'm reluctant to buy a new SDHC on the chance that this will work--anyone have both cards, a regular class 10 and the Sandisk to see if this will overcome the dreaded shrub of doom?
  • Well, indoors the patch works well, no crashing and it does span files. No doubt the outdoor crashes in daylight are due to the poor GH1 codec and the issue with the camera trying to pull detail out of bright highlight areas. I'll have to try more than 1 stop of underexposure and see if that works. For what it's worth, every other hack option crashed today with the foliage test. My hacked GH2 did not, which hints to me that it's inherent in the GH1 AVCHD codec.
  • Pixelvore - 422 color sampling is for MPEG video mode only. It does not affect AVCHD modes
  • Sorry i bit of a noob here, Would it hurt if I also checked the 4:2:2 color at 720 setting on top of these settings on this preset? I like to take to oportunity thank all you for your hard work. It has really helped me with my work.
  • I have been using the 14-140 lenses, and a variety of Canon lenses at various focal lengths and apertures without any failures, where I have had failures using Lpowell's and other patches fail. I too always underexpose by a half or full stop in bright exterior lighting. For me this patch is the best out of the thousand I have tried in the last year. As many would know, a freshly formatted card always sets you up for the best results. I’m not sure of how other cards would fare as I only have Sandisk 30mbps cards.
  • So far, with my outdoor shots on a tripod of foliage, this patch crashes within the first minute. Underexposing does not seem to reduce the crashing. I'm seeing if a full-format of my PNY card overcomes the crashing. A GH2 with the same brand card and an Lpowell patch doesn't have this issue with the same scene.
  • @rigs

great patch!
  • I had good results indoors; however, outside, using the Panasonic 20mm, the camera crashed in 40-45 seconds each and every time at F/3.2. Bummer. Used two different class 10 cards, but I don't have the Sandisk, so hoping that is the difference.
  • Please use the second one "rigs 24 p 12 gop.zip". The first one was uploaded by mistake and I can delette it from the post.
  • You have two zip files posted-which one is the correct one?? Or are they both the same? one says ini.zip, and the other doesn't/