Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @jopnais Just to make sure I'm following correctly, do you mean "O.I.S." or "I.O.S."? Because if you mean O.I.S. then I would say that the stabilization and auto-focus don't really have much to do with each other.

But in terms of video AF, the camcorders have generally performed much better than the DSLR and mirrorless DSLR replacements. The deeper the DOF, the more forgiving AF tends to be, but I would think there are a lot of other factors in play.

The GH3 should be one of the better ones in terms of hybrid cameras, so I would try messing around with different AF options if focus hunting is a big issue. But I normally only use AF for stills - and I'm not a GH3 owner myself at this point.

• My 12-35mm Vario behaves similarly, but I've only ever shot in the shade or on overcast days (haven't been able to locate any decent ND filters here in Vietnam). But your samples are the most seriously bad examples of focus hunting I've ever seen. For sure the camera should have been able to keep the subjects in focus, esp. given the DOF in bright sunlight. My Panny TM 900 autofocus performs better, but that may also be because of the tiny sensor? I'd say it's best to use manual focus, but then why oh why did I spend so much for two Panny zooms with IOS if they can't even lock on a bright contrasty subject that fills 80% of the frame? Again, I have never experienced anything nearly as bad as what you shot though.

• @konjow @maxr This is the one I use for renaming GH2 and Canon files on Windows. http://www.den4b.com/?x=products&product=renamer

• Or its only my GH3?

@konjow that cannot confirm, but there are plenty free utilities, useful for many purposes, that batch rename and relocate files. Anyway, you may get more context response/feedback at GH3 issues topic :-)

• Any one know why after 999 stills number jumps to next 10000 and pictures goes to new folder? 30999 jumps to 40001. Very annoying with timelapse sequence import. Or its only my GH3?

• Got my GH3 end of last year, traded in my EX1R for it. So far I'm happy with the picture quality and am still exploring, my main opinions are about the controls:

• want more options for function buttons (eg zebra)
    • want less clicks on function buttons (eg Tele Conv as simple on/off, not a sub menu)
    • want more options on dials (eg ISO, or WB colour temp)
    • want dials on body and grip to be independent (eg ability to have F, SS, ISO and WB on each wheel)
    • want to be able to allocate no function to a control

other random thoughts:

• instant ISO would be handy (equivalent to instant SS) just to see what the computer is thinking
    • picture profile controls seem limited
    • it's cool!
  • Thanks lonely1. This confirms my doubts. Since it happens with more than one lens it must be a problem with the GH3 body firmware.

• Yes,

I got that autofocus problem too, and even worse on the lumix g vario 12-35 mm lens

• Does anyone have autofocus problems in direct sunlight with the GH3 and the 14-140 (old model) in creative video mode?

I'm using AFC mode (example videos at the end of the post). The AF gets confused in direct sunlight when shooting people moving (like dancing running etc).

I'm shooting in creative video mode.

Settings:

AF mode: 23-Area

Motion picture menu: exposure mode: P, Continuous AF: ON

Custom menu: Quick AF: ON

Video samples demonstrating the problem:

• This is raw humour Lol!

• ...not that there is anything wrong with that...

• Hello gays...can't wait for the pinky gh3 !!!!

• HELLO GAYS!!!!!!!!!!! Are we all having a fabulous time or what!? Mimosas are on the house!

• It's good to have dreamers. Even mildly cryptic, can't-tell-if-trolling, dreamers.

• Vitaly, I'm a little do not understand your answer. There is a possibility that will be the implementation RAW Video? I think after a short demo video that it is possible that your project will be happy to support. I would be happy to buy Option 7.

• Hello gays! GH3 will be have RAW Video in Hack Frimware?

Definitely. It is right after small microwave hand heater patch in our plans.

• @dak20 best comment ever .... (and we have no idea yet)

• Hello gays! GH3 will be have RAW Video in Hack Frimware?

• Panasonic today has announced that the company has been awarded a prestigious EISA (European Imaging Sound Association) Award for the Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) camera LUMIX DMC-GH3 and the interchangeable lens LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm / F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-FS14140) of LUMIX G.

The compact system camera LUMIX GH3 won ‘European Photo-Video Camera 2013-2014’ for its versatility as a high class still and video camera with the EISA Awards panel saying, “The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH3 offers the best video quality of any combined still and movie camera in this price segment – and actually in some higher segments as well. It offers full manual as well as completely automatic video recording, making it ideal for in-the-field shooting as well as more formal situations. It's also a pretty handy stills camera with a full range of controls, making it an impressively flexible package. The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GH3 is very popular with videographers partly because it is a very lightweight and rugged, weather-resistant camera that’s serviced by a great selection of high-quality lenses.”

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/eisa_gh3_h_fs14140/

• @olli66: There is no speedbooster for native m43 lenses.

Also, this is the wrong thread for speedbooster questions. Try this:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5770/metabones-lens-speed-booster-adapter-focal-reducer#Item_461

• hi guys, I want to buy the Speedbooster. I am using the Panasonic Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 lenses but can't find the according Speedbooster. Any help? Thanks.

• Call me a dreamer but what would make this camera stand out from the croud is, colour science and 10 bits 4-2-2, or some kind of better transcode from raw sensor data and the ability to record prores or avid. I dont need "focos pokos" or any other digital "manbo jambo" thing. Just good files out of the box. The camera is outstanding, when you come from canon you notice that, resolution, light sensitivity, dynamic range, good options on menu for timelapse, and setup all it's there.

What I need. A reliable tool that take good images, easy to configure and use, and let us work well with the files in post. Skin tones could be better (colour), file format could be better (compression), menu logics could be better (interactivity).

BUT EVEN SO AMAZING LITTLE CAMERA... ;-)

• Hoping for focus peaking and optional persistent screen info...and raw of course :)

Let the miracles commence ;)

• @driftwood you know something we don't ;) ?