Personal View site logo
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • well, at least they are not sugarcoating it in their posts! :)

• Can anyone make out (they're blurred) which AFEs are being used in the design? Can anyone make out the model number of the two Micron DDR chips?

• this is pure entertainment: "We are getting into a time when we need special equipment to do our work."

:-) very funny!

• @philiplipetz That's a good idea - we could start a secondary market for people looking to unload...er, I mean "sell" their Kickstarter slots. I'll start the bidding at...uh, what is that Kickstarter slot for a Bolex worth?...hmm....shit, why not, I'll go $10. Any takers?

• @matt_gh2 Sorry, are you buying or selling? If selling, then I bid $12 for shits and giggles... :-)

• @ahbleza lol - that was my offer to buy at $10, but if you're at $12 then you win...I just don't think it's worth any more than 10 bucks

• Beleive it or Not, and clearly this is not the place to state it, but some of us think that the Digital,Bolex may become the go to Indie cam, especially with the forthcoming anamorphic lenses. I was serious about wanting one. Now do I have to surrender my membership in this forum?

• I was, of course, joking. Hopefully their team comes through. I did actually like the skin tones test recently released. As you know, many people debate D-Bolex heatedly. I was really just poking fun. This forum has a variety of views and a variety of people with different interests - you should definitely enjoy and contribute. Many here use Panny cams (GH2, GH3 and others), many use Nikon, many use Canon, and many are looking forward to new Blackmagic cams. Common thread amongst all is quest to better their skills, knowledge, and tools in service of better imaging, sound, editing, and many other things. Hopefully DBolex is released soon and that will become one more interest.

• I was intrigued when i saw in the above post that db was getting into the anamorphic game...until i saw they would work only with their aperture locked lenses.

• I've been a regular on the db forum.. they seem decent enough, but the price is above what I am able or want to spend at this point.. I went with a 50D instead, and hope to use my s16 lenses for actual film. I like the truesense sensor, but again 3000$ is a lot of money for a startup device.. especially when I have no idea what low-cost devices that established companies will release over the next couple of years

• I've been a regular on the db forum.. they seem decent enough,

What you mean under "decent"? They spend big time talking on forum, yep. But it was much better if they spend comparable time solving isues with cameras.

• They are polite and respond to any questions about the product.
    Sometimes the confident tone in spite of many months of delays makes the whole thing seem surreal and possibly dodgy, but I'm staying neutral on the whole affair.

The suspicions raised on here really make me wonder what roles the two principals truly have in the company, especially when all they seem to do is maintain the webpage, but Joe said that he owns it and started it, so whatever. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

• Brand new footage from the D Bolex can be downloaded here

http://www.digitalbolex.com/240-frames-grade-a-raw-motion/

• New footage from industrial camera :-)

• @robertGL is Bolex SA, Yverdon, Switzerland still on board?

• OMG they are faster than BMD in delivering raw footage to the public! Sorry I meant BMDPCC obviously.

• @dream_beam - not sure what BMDPCC is supposed to be. In any case, seeing the latest batch of BMD cameras were announced in April or so, and the Digital Bolex project was announced 1-2 years back, I don't think that is much of a valid statement ;)

• Agreed. Very inaccurate statement. I.do believe BM actually had working cameras at the timeof the announcement as well.

• @dream_beam

They had raw footage from sensor right at the start. In fact no one ever saw their camera working and no one can assure you that it is not same old industruial camera.

• Sorry, guys. I made a poor joke :). I'm with you, not with DB.

• Ahhh, text and the internet causes so much lost in translation stuff, not to mention the addition of language barriers! :)

• The new test footage complete on vimeo and a behind the scenes that shows the camera working. http://vimeo.com/digitalbolex/testfootage

http://vimeo.com/digitalbolex/behindthescenes

• tried grading a 6 sec footage, but footage looked strobey. Not impressed

• I don't mind imperfect test-footage as it can help show flaws, but it would be nice if things were in focus at least 25% of the time.

• looks video-ish to me. Ikonoskop has much better sensor processing at the moment