Personal View site logo
Time for GH3 to have raw video!
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • Im with vitaliy here. Low compressed intraframe h264 would be grate. Evenn better if 4:4:4 is managed. then so no other frame of low contrast and light willbe required. but a compressed form is important since managing raw data at this poin in time its not that grate. it very time consuming, and for video is about $ per minute.

• Evenn better if 4:4:4 is managed

For 444 encoded picture you need some custom formats as I understand and also need high resolution raw source, as otherwise it is just time waste.

• I agree with you Vitaliy raw could easily become a pain in the "Arze", workflow is too heavy and times are just out of reality for day to day work.

So if GH3 is to be hacked [of course it will :-)] Then if its possible, I would be much more happy with having directly from the raw sensor source 4-2-2 10bit 75mbp/150mbp h264 intraframe compression. EVEN IF ITS only 10bit 4-2-2 HDMI OUT I would jump with joy all around the house.

And just maybe it would be possible to squeeze 1 or 2 stops of extra latitude of DR, by having more information on low and highlights.

And just dreaming maybe more user friendly codec like ProRes 422 , Avid DNxHD, :-)

That for me clean 10bit 4-2-2 in GH3 is wayyyy better than raw, if you want raw just go with BM 4K producction camera and get a free global shutter, even with less DR, you can restore that in post.

• You can have lossy compression on raw. One of the benefits of raw is it is 1/2th the amount of data to store than the same bit depth of 4:2:2. And demosaicing does work very well.

You don't need custom formats for 4:4:4 and hi bit depth, just the encoder to support it. 4:4:4/14-bit is part of the H.264 specification in Hi444PP, just rarely used, I don't think any of the GH encoders are that complete and would work with that (or 4:2:2) by simply specifying the profile to use. x264 can do up it to 10-bit in Hi444PP iirc, which also gives better compression in many cases as well.

1 to 1, a demosaiced image beats 4:2:2 sub-sampled image in chroma detail. In terms of data throughput, you can probably get 2.8K mosaiced or raw data in about the same space as 1080p 4:2:2 at the same compression quality at the same bit depth, if compression is used.

If a camera has that kind of processing power to crunch that (eg; the processor isn't the bottle neck) it'd be nice to have either or preferably both options though.

In the mean time if you guys want to squeeze more out of your video, look into (real) superresolution methods using multi-image sampling. That works for video too by multi-frame analysis. You upscale 2x then downscale back down again, that should improve chroma detail, (and also luma detail on dSLRs, and can also help get red of moire and aliasing too).

• Low compressed h.264 with 2 streams . . . . sort of like MXF that also carries 4:2:2 data?

Anyway, Panny will not release GH3 raw for simple reasons:

1. The GH series was never conceived as a professional suite.
    2. What on earth were the engineers thinking when they took out peaking? A faux paus on any pro tool. Sign of more silly things to come?
    3. Panasonic has a broadcast range to protect. GH3 RAW? Who's going to buy AF102?
  • @kazuo

it's not just a case of Panasonic being willing to 'release' it. The bus speed has to be capable of those data rates, and then your media has to be capable of those rates as well.

• @kazuo

Problem with raw is not enginners or managers. It is simple lack of fast progress in chip industry. Most SD cards speeds are still low. Most of mobile memory is still not fast, supply is scarce, and it has limited width bus.

As for peaking, something tells me that engineers have nothing to do with it.

• @vitaliy

Interesting, so how does BM manage to produce a camera that can do raw at a fraction of the cost of high end cameras? Which off the shelf chip have they chosen? Is there only one such maker of chips capable of RAW?

• Interesting, so how does BM manage to produce a camera that can do raw at a fraction of the cost of high end cameras? Which off the shelf chip have they chosen?

BM is physically fraction of other cameras and have only fraction of features. Hence the price.

Otherwise they most probably using custom FPGA or similar coupled with some embedded LSI.
    Plus they made very tigh restrictions of FPS available.

Bm is not example of future cameras, as it uses bare 2.5" SSDs that are unsuitable for wide spread cameras (due to connectors not made for insertion and removal and high probablity of electrical damage).

• The pocket cam is a step in the right direction in alot of ways.

• This would be amazing for the GH2/GH3, but just the ability to have a more flat image profile would be great as well. The current hack bitrates are nice and high, but I would just love some flatness to compete on a similar level to raw in post, even if raw itself is not possible. Either way, I've never owned a Canon DSLR, but this makes me want one... I love color grading and having all that raw data to manipulate is a colorist's dream... Here is to hoping for something like this for the GH2... if there is even anything left to gain...

• If you look at the comparisons of GH3/ML on 5D Mark III/ and 5D stock output the GH3 it is clear why someone needs to at least explore the possibilities of RAW output. I am wondering if a hack could divert RAW data from a GH3 buffer through the HDMI port to avoid possible issues with possible GH3 SD Card processor limits.

• 10bit log.. that's all I need!!! if gh3.. or gh2 could do it I would cancel my blackmagic mft reserve

• I would stil like to see the gH2 hacked (with its larger than standard sensor) but either or will work.

• Really 10bit workflow will be enough for all tasks. RAW itself is very heavy and $$$ but if the will be no way other than RAW - if will be ok too.

i own gh1, selled somedays ago af100 (a f104 edition) and bought canon 50d for RAW testing, and you know - RAW really ROCKS!

I've worked with different workflows (all my camera upper) and at work with sony ex1r and with nanoflash recorder, and also tried RED one mx workflow, on which I am working on right now at work, and also tried sony ex1r on HD_SDI with BM DeckLink 10bit, and RED looks really amazing but ALL I really need and (and all that cover all my needs) is 10bit 422. everything that is more than that - is redundantly data. It is very good to have ability to use 12 or 14 or 16 bit and have more than 1080p but for most cases 1080p (maybe 720 because of internet videos?) with 10bit is enough for most tasks...

• With RAW the GH2/GH3 would only be able to resolve 5-10 seconds per record - as VK rightfully mentions - the memory controller and SD card is simply not fast enough. Equivalent - think the Canon 60D.

• What about some kind of motion jpeg format at higher resolutions, similar to 1D C? It's already capable of 20fps with the electronic shutter enabled for 80 images. Is there no way to extend that amount, and wrap it in a video codec perhaps? A 4k 24fps option would be pretty nice even if it's a less workable format.

• i don't know if gh3 is prepared to process raw video. but i'm sure it's capable to manage high bitrates near uncompressed video which it's like a lionel messi goal in the champion's final, i mean, it would be a professional progress on the camera's settings.

higher bitrate (up from 244mbs) or uncompressed, proress 4:2:2... 10 bit, if we think in the sd card posibilities, or we can get a ninja... i guess we'll get an incredible quality out of our GH3 and stop thinking about mark III and his reign of chaos hahaha, but i'm saying RAW it's too much talking and not necessary!

thanks!

• I think what's important is not actually to achieve uncompressed raw capabilities in the GH series but rather a more sophisticated codec in these cameras like AVC-Intra or even AVC-Ultra. Having either codec (but preferably the latter) would open doors for 10-bit or 12-bit 4:2:2/4:4:4 at 100 Mbit/sec or higher in these cameras; plus would make for a much easier workflow as opposed to dealing with the workflow that's currently in the ML hacks. Uncompressed raw looks good on paper but it's not ideal. Why do you think there's Redcode for the RED cameras and the new Sony XAVC for Sony cameras to handle high resolutions and bitrates? On a side note: I'm interested in how Blackmagic managed to squeeze all that information in their pocket cam.

• Now just give me a hacked GH3 with better intra mode. The build in one suck. Small artifacts for grass and tree shots is unuseable even for 24P I can still notice it. Raw is off the chart but better debayer and color sampling should do. It does not seem like it is happening soon thou. Still I am with the GH2 most of the time.

• Now just give me a hacked GH3 with better intra mode. The build in one suck. Small artifacts for grass and tree shots is unuseable even for 24P I can still notice it

Interesting... I haven't had any problem with the Intra-mode yet. I'll have to shoot some comparison stuff. What lenses are you using? Maybe it's again, only something that happens with the Panny glass?

• I'm just hoping for 4:2:2 over HDMI, and focus peaking, that's it :)

• Same Request... Could we have raw footage out of GH2/GH3 ?! I am a huge fan and ambassador of GH's (since GH1) yet recent breakthrough on 5DMIII Raw seems like the Holy Graal for indie/pro users. A friend of mine juste told me, he sold all his GH3 gear and lenses to get 5DM3+Raw and he seems more than totally satisfied with it ! He was speechless watching the quality of his own footage. I was considering BMC Pocket but I now consider going for 5DM3 ...

• My perspective may be amateurish as hell, but I'll say it...I think Lumix really dropped a ball on their GH series.

They started off great, with the GH1, then they overachieved themselves with the GH2 (albeit they could've give us another firmware and bring the bitrates somewhat closer to average hack levels) ..and then they came up with the GH3 with its silly new sensor and dubious moire issues...god knows what were they thinking when they released the GH3 firmware...cause that's nothing but pointless.

They had it, I really think they did...they were in position to shift the market momentum and become the go-to indie DSLR hybrid...now they lost the race to Canon.

• Now just give me a hacked GH3 with better intra mode. The build in one suck. Small artifacts for grass and tree shots is unuseable even for 24P I can still notice it. Raw is off the chart but better debayer and color sampling should do. It does not seem like it is happening soon thou. Still I am with the GH2 most of the time.<

I fully agree

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions