Personal View site logo
Panasonic upcoming fast zooms topic

There will be a 12-35mm and a 35-100mm fast X zooms!!!! Panasonic said they will come in 2012 and have a “large” aperture.

Via: http://www.43rumors.com/
  • 77 Replies sorted by
  • A fast 12-35mm zoom is exactly what I was missing, too bad for the focus-by-wire thing, but there is no alternative, so I guess I have to train focusing manually with that f... system after all.
  • @lenuisible

May be they'll make focus position dependent and not velocity dependent.
    In this case it'll be usable.
  • Those look sweet, especially that 12-35 can we expect an 'x' camera body at one point, maybe next GHx?
  • I'm very curious, as how this new Panasonic lenses will compare to my top end Olympus 14-35mm F2.0 ...

...time will tell.

• Constant aperture please...
  • I am pretty confident that these will replace (or supplement) the FourThirds lenses that Olympus is already offering. I hope F/2.0 but expect F/2.8. These lenses also pave the way for more professional Panasonic and Olympus bodies. Olympus has already mentioned that they are going to release a E5 type body for MicroFourThirds. I am Pana & Oly are collaborating (see all the similar lenses they offer) on these lenses.

Looks like I made the right decision with MicroFourThirds -- the system is really gaining traction now with the recent releases of the Olympus 12mm F/2.0, Panasonic Leica 25mm F/1.4, Olympus 45mm F/1.8 and the new X lenses (both compact travel lenses and professional constant aperture lenses). I am impressed!
  • With booth lenses do you cover the most used focal lengths, but sure this thing it gonna be expensive as hell.
  • 12-35.... just by looking at the photo... I can't tell...

I'm interested in the slowest aperture. If 2.5-3.3, I can use it like 3.3 constant aperture.
  • It would be stupid in my opinion to not use focal reducers in these lenses. From what I understand they are geared towards the professional and not the prosumer. If they were meant to be for the prosumer, price is more important so that would be different. Professionals want fast/high quality optics and price is less of a factor. Internal focal reducers would definitely help with the speed when attached to a M4/3 camera. If they did this we could expect as fast as a constant f2 like the Olympus lenses, but I would be ok with a constant f2.8.
  • 14-42's nose extends... but it has no zoom ring. Only the power zoom button can control the zooming. So it's "ok" to extend its nose.

45-174 has a power zoom and a zoom ring. Fly-by-wire zoom ring? LOL. But that means it must be using inner zoom which implies... fixed length front barrel!!! That would be great for using with matte box.

If that's true, we could expect fixed length front barrel from all future X lenses with zoom ring.

• @Brian202020 At first I thought those lenses can't be constant aperture... but those could be inner focus and inner zoom. Why not constant aperture? 2.8 would be fantastic.
  • Hoping for F/2 or better...............hoping for under $800. Porca Vacca!
  • Dont get your hopes up....
    If the zoom is F2.5 I will be impressed.
  • If those are real photos, those lenses don't look wide enough to be f2.0. For f2.8, I'd expect the front filter ring would need to be at least 77mm wide. I'll be very surprised if they're not f4.0 or slower at the long end.
  • Assuming fixed length front barrel... They look shorter than Oly 2.0 zooms. A lot shorter. Also shorter flange back distance. Then no need to be 77mm wide to be 2.8.

20mm 1.7 pancake has 37mm filter thread. The front glass element is a way smaller than 37mm.

See Rokinon 35mm 1.4. It's a long lens. Thus bigger front element.
  • Maybe F/4. Canon and Nikon also offer professional lenses in that class. I am not buying unless they are F/2.8 or lower.
  • The rumor is FAST ZOOMS.
    So F2,8 minimum
  • fast_12_35.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
    fast_35_100.jpg
    800 x 600 - 108K
  • Mmmm 12-35 and 35-100 with a 2x crop will be a perfect rivals of the 24-70 / 70-200... So if the rumor is correct we can expect f2.8 'maximum' constant aperture. Hope that is not just a hazard (that don't exist :)
  • Around other forums it's been said that the expected price should be around 2000$. I don't know if this conjecture is reliable but for that price they have to give me f2.0 minimum.
    A pro lens for moviemaking in m43 has to be at least that fast.
  • No idea why some think this sized lenses can achieve 2.0. I will be happy for 2.8 at cheaper price.

The focal lengths are equivalent to 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 from Canon and Nikon. I don't think Panasonic is dumb enough to release their first flagship pro lenses at slower than 2.8. Lumix G 14-42mm has same 3.5-5.6 as Canon's kit zoom's.

Most m43 primes perform well at 2.8. See the MTF charts http://tinyurl.com/3bfzj9x By the way Olympus 45mm 1.8 looks impressive at 2.8 and 4.0 at least in the chart.

See the width of the focus ring of 12-35. It looks as thick as Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Ai-s. Hopefully... much faster responsiveness from slow focus rotation. Also inner focus and inner zoom.
  • See the image I attached (source: 43rumors). I do believe that these can be F/2. Although I hope they will have a price around $1000 and not $2000 (not buying them if they are that expensive, unless you get both for that price!).
    rjgwt4.jpg
    1599 x 861 - 90K
  • I am thinking to buy the Oly 14-35 F2 with the adapter if these are not faster then F2.8 and does not have constant aperture. I do not think Panasonic will make a constant aperture lens...
  • If that 12-35 is F2.8 or faster I'll be saving up for it. Looks like it could be a winner if it's image quality is as-good or superior to panasonic's current lenses, which I find quite good.
  • I will be lining up like Apple fanboys to get 12-35mm. I'd have yard sales to raise more cash. I'd work overtime. I must get this lens.

@Hazna Oly 14-35 needs lens supports. It blinks between 14mm and 15mm. No OIS. No AF-C. Sluggish AF-S. Zooming extends the front barrel. 43 system is dying.

Buying these X lenses mean locking into m43. Nothing wrong with that. Most Canon users buy Canon lenses. Most Nikon users buy Nikon lenses. Those gears will become useless one day. Only the footages will remain.