Personal View site logo
Canon 70D topic, camera with unusual LV AF and sensor
  • 104 Replies sorted by
  • Lets see when we get some good samples... Moire and aliasing, anyone?

• @kurth

Most probably it is one of the guys who just post things to attract viewers

• dude...maybe he was a beta tester. I didn't see that publishing date but it could have been a pre-production camera ...or ytube messed up the date.

• dude, this is 4 month old and certainly not the 70D, go remove that s***

• The Auto-Focus is not so good LOL

• I don't like this sample...

• ...after thinking about it ....the date would make it illogical ...even if it was preproduction...canon would have made him take it down ...

• Canon 70D or Nikon D7100 ? This is question ! :)

• No headphones output. Ouch.

• seems very very soft in the vimeo 720p version.

• The Canon´s PROPAGANDA machine will make this newborn a camera like no other , believe. And its gonna sell like hot bread in US . What about the audio ? As it seems you cant monitor it using a headphone ...

• My limited understanding of filming I only see two major advantages of manual focus pulling. The first and most obvious is that until very recently that no autofocus can track properly without alot of hunting. The GH3 and G6 (I don't recall if the GH2 is as good) is one of the first cameras I've seen to come close and this new Canon seems even better. Also with touch screen you can change focus to anywhere you want at anytime. However you still can't control the speed of the focus pull like you can with a manual lens. However I see it coming to a point where autofocus is advanced enough to start to become a consideration for certain projects of professional filmmakers. Aside from the fact that it's much cheaper than buying a $4000-$20,000 cine lens.

Joshua

• No 1080/60 - c'mon guys that's a huge slap in the face in the current scheme of things. I don't need AF in video.

• @oscillian

This camera certainly won't make pulling skills obsolete.
    And it still won't be best for documentary, it still will be making focusing errors.

• Autofocus is impressive and makes all my focus pulling skills obselete. Even with the 50mm f1.2 it nails it! Face tracking, 3-10x digital zoom during recording, the list just goes on. Pair this with a fast 16-50 2.8 AF zoom and you've got a great documentary camera. Would prefer mirrorless and M-mount, though.

• @kurth Looks like that this new focusing method will be available in the new EOS M - but have to sse if it will work well with EF lenses. In theory, might work (and must, since the very restricted number of M lenses available...)

About the HDMI output, read in some preview (don't remember where) that there is no uncompressed HDMI out in the 70D - but no information about live view HDMI out during recording for monitoring.

• ...if canon would kick this into a mirrorless m with delayless adapter to ef and an evf, then that would be cool. I'm wondering how the hdmi out works ? The "handmade" video looks very nice. Will this be canons reemergence as topdog ? I guess we'll know by sept. And if they follow their past strategy, we should see all of this in a new rebel by next year .

• Looks pretty impressive for the price. No 1080/60P, but the rest seems like a nice upgrade. Definitely competition for the GH3.

• There are two videos, made by Canon, showing the capabilities of the camera - one is a behind the scenes of the first video (Engadget link, but I saw the video in other sources):

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/02/canon-70d-hands-on/

The AF system looks impressive; for me, much more for focus tracking than focus point switching (you can't control the speed of the refocusing, like a manual focus pulling). Some hand-on previews says that it is indeed pretty fast.

But will wait to see about the image quality. The DPReview preview of the camera (http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d) stated the same thing that crossed my mind:

The big unknown right now is image quality - the 70D uses a 20.2MP sensor but the image is formed from 40.3M photodiodes, which is a lot to fit onto an APS-C chip. We're assuming that much of the work Canon has been doing over the past few years has been directed towards keeping noise as low as possible, and the company is confident enough to offer the same ISO range as its latest 18MP APS-C cameras (100 - 12800, with 25600 as an extended option). But ultimately the proof can only come from the images themselves.

The other one (made by myself) is about regarding the precision of the microlenses in the sensor's surface - since each microlens splits the image in two to feed the two "half-cells", if there is a minimum misalignment of these microlenses, could bring some serious image issues - but I guess that they have the engeneering skills to avoid that.