Personal View site logo
5.6" 1280x800 on camera monitor with peaking, aka H056
  • 344 Replies sorted by
  • @elghorba @feha How is the focus assist? I'm going for this or a SmallHD. What kind is it among the examples in this video?

Image from first post.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev

I have seen those generic photos on too many different monitors on eBay. I prefer to see something real from one of our users.

• Anyone have a spare sunshade for this? I bought one used that didn't include the shade. Send me a PM and let me know; have Paypal ready to go. Thanks, Shawn

• No one has mentioned how long this runs on one camera battery (Sony or Canon), the stated 13W power consumption sounds high. Also, is the weight really 470g, seems high compared with DP6's 360g?
    Thanks.

• @TimBall

I think it is maximum consumption with brightness at max and all.

Also, is the weight really 470g, seems high compared with DP6's 360g?

Metal version is made very good, I think DP6 is much more easy to beat.

• Answer for Oscillian and about battery drain (I apologize for so late reply but I had to work hard). After two months of intensive use of the monitor I can confirm my positives impressions. - focus assist: it depends from the output of your camera. If you feed the monitor with a 1080p signal the focusing job it's really easy (without the focus peak too). If you use a 480p (a lot of camera output this ridicolus resolution when recording...) the focus on the fly it's a little bit difficult and you have to use marks on you follow focus. And the focus peak helps just a little more. But nothing of relevant. Anyway I'm able (with a little effort) to focus on 480p signal with good results. In your video I can say the result (480p) looks like Zacuto evf. Whit 1080p it's like the best one. Ok... not the same actually... but really, really close. - battery drain: it depends from the backlight you set in the menu. For outdoor shoots I set to 60, for indoor 40. Anyway I can run my monitor with a cheap aftermarket NP-F550 (2000mAh) for more than two hour with 60backlight. Not bad! If I neeed more battery life I use a NP-970 (but really heavy and the whole thing is unbalanced) and I reach much more than 3 hour. Hope this help! Please feel free to ask more questions. I'll be glad to help.

• I got one more, think is a latest firmware version there has been fixed some bugs ... Guide shows OK: 4:3,16:9 and 2.35:1 ... But the problem is I can't find anywhere to download the latest firmware on order to upgrade previous monitor ?

Also when not used pull out your DC power cable in order to save battery. Just pushing the "Power" button won't help much ....

• Yeah, the power button is useless. The led stays red when off. My battery died after an hour…

Anyone can explain me how to put false colors or correct the colors? I don't have the manual and don't understand the menu...

• @elghorba - You seem to have a newer monitor than the rest of us. I have possibly the first ever metal one. The colour reproduction is starting to become an issue for me. How is yours for colour?

Do the darkest areas of the image go blue? No matter what RGB values I use I can't get the baked in blue shadows to go away and others have had this problem.

• Just wondering if that's any chance to update firmware? I can see there are many new feature on the new firmware. I have sent an inquiry mail to the manufacturer in China(Charmvision) and waiting for their reply.

• @closeddawn LMK, I emailed someone months ago and got no reply. PM me your contact and I'll email them too.

• As far as I remember my talks with factory, firmware can't be updated.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, you are right. I got their "initial reply" said firmware cannot be updated but software can be updated. What software? I am asking them what's the software they are talking about and how do I update it by myself.

• I'm still thinking about getting this monitor. Any recently new users of this nice little monitor here yet? Would like to read some more reviews or see some videos. I'm a 5DII user, I like to use this monitor for director's to watch over my shoulder and for myself for framing and focusing. The Neway monitor on this site also looks very nice, but is a little over my budget and maybe to big.

• @snvid

I suggest 7" Neway for your task, as 5.6" most probably will be small.

You can get CT700, it is cheaper and with same panel and features.

• Hi Guys....just wanted to pass along a little bit of news.....I've been recently emailing one of the eBay vendors who sells the h056 monitor about the color accuracy issue for a few weeks now..... The vendor said that he was going to receive an updated monitor in the very near future that would address the color issue.....fast forward to today, he apparently received a new batch of monitors with better color accuracy. He's currently testing them out but the new firmware will only be for the h056 with the hdmi in/out version.

• he apparently received a new batch of monitors with better color accuracy. He's currently testing them out but the new firmware will only be for the h056 with the hdmi in/out version.

You mean just updated firmware? As I fail to understand how it can fix all color isues.

I'll ask factory directly and let you know.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev ....One of the Ebay Sellers who carries this model sent me the firmware update for the monitor this morning with a set of instructions on how to update it....The problem is I don't own any of these monitors so I can't test it out ( I have no clue why he sent me the firmware in an email lol).

If anyone has the H056 with the hdmi in/out, they could try the firmware and let us know if it fixes the problem.... I could email you the firmware update for you to try it out...or better yet I could put you in direct contact with the seller who i've been in contact with :)

• @arknox the color balance is always an issue on these aftermarket items... I just tried to match the color balance of the monitor by eyes using some test chart. A Spider-type setting instrument could be batter, of course. But I'm quite satisfied and I've not blueish blacks. Maybe the led panel of this new model is better...

• Any news regarding the Firmware by now?

I'm also interested in this monitor, seems good. Are there any differences except for the body from new to old version? That comes up a lot and I like that it's much lighter.

• Any news regarding the Firmware by now?

What you mean by news?

• Regarding color accuracy, what Mark_Henkins talked about earlier. I'm interested in this monitor as a step-up from my old Lilliput which was horrible in color, contrast and everything

• I am looking for a small monitor to mount inside a pelicase as a field monitor / test signal generator. For this I have a signal generator, however I need to know the video format it is outputting. So I have some questions, will this monitor show what signal is being input and can it support 1080p50/60?

I see that the special deals has 2 versions of the monitor, which is the preferred one? I must say I like the looped out of the plastic one.. Can the metal one also accept voltage between 6v and 24v?

• @FW200: Maybe check out this review of the new version of the H056:

About the signal type: It seems like it´s showing it a few seconds after a input change (so like every other monitor). About the 1080 50/60P -> Maybe ask the reviewer on YouTube. BUT: Normaly it´s not a problem with ANY (more modern) external field monitor (at least I never had any problems with one of the monitors I used til now -> with 1080 50P signals). I would recommend the metal one (because it´s more stable too and by far not too heavy - altough it´s out of metal). Voltage is accepted from 7 to 24V (at least over the DC jack). Maybe even lower (but that´s the official voltage range). ^^