Personal View site logo
Single lens 3D
  • 25 Replies sorted by
  • Cool, finally I 'll do some 3D stills on the GH2 (I prefered sofar for the "common" 2D stills always the GH1)....the lens will be adaptable, hopefully?

• @tetakpatak

It is not about m43 lens :-)

If you want 3D, get 12mm lens :-)

• Pity... Hasn't F12 bit too much diffraction on the m43 sensor? Is there topic for the 12,5mm lens?

• This is neat! Similar idea to anaglyphic lens/imaging. Except this looks like it would work in full color. Synced 60fps for equivalent of 30fps per eye. Is that the current format of 3d BR? This technique sounds like it would work best with shuttering glasses and not so well with dual projection/polarized.

Neat find VK! Thanks!

• Has anyone tried the 3D SCN on the LX7? If not, I may need to go to my friends house and see what the pics look like.

• Well - to my novice eye, the 3D pics from the LX7 look awesome on a 3D TV (70" Sharp Aquos).

The 3D TV would not directly play the MPO image files that the LX7 generates, but I was able to view the 3D pictures on the 3D TV using the HDMI connection from the LX7.

Really quite nice, especially with the fast lens on the LX7. I scanned the GH3 manual and did not see a similar 3D image function like the LX7. Too bad. There is the 3D lens option for the GH3, but it has drawbacks. Perhaps Panny will add the 3D option to the firmware at some point.

• @v10tdi

Strange for Sharp, all last year LG TVs have MPO support as I know. Most probably Panasonics also.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev the Sharp 3DTV does show MPO files as "3D" in the TV's file browser interface but when trying to load/view the MPO file, it has an error...~invalid file. Called Support and front line said MPO will not load from USB Media interface. USB Media menu indicates otherwise so I asked for technical escalation.

• i have a pana 3d lens, but is very crap, bad quality lens, 3d is unusable if you are not in a specific range of distance from subject, the shot is 2mpx only (no comment please)... good for used bought at 56$ but if bought it at original price, 350$ i would ask the soul of stupid pana developer that sums all possible error that you can do to build a 3d lens...

• @madrenderman

First, you will be using 3D TV for viewing, so more resolution is not required.

Second, small stereo base and small F number are good for amateur.

And last. Lens works. Yep you can find better cameras, but it works.

• VItality i respect a lot you knowledge, but i'm stereographer from some years, and 3d lens with fixed interaxial and small F numer is the cause a bad reputation of 3D picture and movie... same things for cameras with double lens, also if is 20k $ cameras ...

3d is very delicate balance between eye distance, subject distance and more, and fixed lens give every time or flat 3d effects, or (when you are too close) cause strain to see 3d picture instead of two separated picture.

the only way to do a good 3D is beam splitter; side by side rig are only for panoramic shooting where you lie to viewer with hyperstereo technique. Other way to do 3d are poor, give to viewer a poor sensation of depth, only few plane, not a full and continue depth information in every direction, often give ocular strain, and many other problems.

This is the reason be cause most of movie are converted and not 3d shooted. Is not simple to shoot in stereo be cause not exist a real math formula to build a correct stereo alignment and convergence, but like a musician, you must have a correct sensibility to setup stereo rig.

I reviewed most of software for stereo calculation, and all are based on wrong assumpt that they must replicate fisical distance of eyes, or near it... but our stereo viewing is not based only on it, but is a brain matter where we reach and build all informations, where we discard info that not we need, and build that we need. On 20 meters screen you have printed two different point of view, and brain cannot discard part of that information, then you must have ONLY the correct information, or causes strain. ps i throw pictures on 3 meters screen at home, i have a fullHD 3D projector.

• besides the panasonic 3d lens, there is a beamspliter for m4/3 from a small company called Loreo, i believe they are plastic and not glass though, they also have a macro 3d lens but not for m4/3

http://www.loreo.com/pages/shop/loreo_products_online.html the lens is at usd 150+13 ship

Alt text

• btw i used to have the pana 3d lens, and is just not worth it, after several months i managed to sell it but is not a good buy, a better option is the Fuji w3 (around 250 usd)

• Samsung makes a 2D/3D lens that produces 3D video on the NX500 and NX1. The shallow DOF you can get with these big-sensor cameras combined with 3D produces effective 3D video that cannot be matched by the typical 3D camcorders (in color and DR too). Here is one example:

• @markr041

Yep, it works on NX300 and NX300M too. :-)

• @markr041 Cannot be matched? At least you can get synchronised footage from 3D camcorders, which is very important when you take any shots with "moveable" subjects/objects. See below just one clip from the footage above (NX500) and try to fuse it into 3D. No chance. Moreover, 3D camcorders have at least larger stereo base. Shallow DOF is, usually, not considered as an advantage for 3D photography (just the opposite). However, I agree about the colour and DR. I don't want to go into details, but Samsung's 3D lens does not give synched 3D footage. There is always inherent time difference between both views, which is about 17ms (this is huge missynch for stereo photography/film making).

I am rather using pairs of synched GH4 (before pairs of GH2 and GH1). Try to spot unsynched clips: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9azB3Y1w9R2cv3r1gK5rg

Damir

Missynch_m.jpg
    1129 x 1077 - 726K
  • @crunchy Not matched in color, DR and shallow DOF effects - and portability.

This is a typical response from someone who has invested in a generally impractical large two-camera rig. Sure, synchronized large sensor cameras have an advantage. And ARRI cameras shoot better video than your GH4s - want a link?

The issues you raise from the technique used are well-known - in theory. Should we conclude that only nitpickers defending their 3D investments would actually dislike the video (representing a tiny and shrinking universe) or should no one ever use this device? Fast-moving subjects make up less than two percent of the video, and are peripheral to the scenes they are in. Is the gap in synch ruining every shot? Clearly no; the 3D is very effective when the distances are chosen wisely.

And I disagree strongly that 3D and shallow DOF are not complementary.

People with this device can take more 3D video in more places, given the portability, than anyone with two camera rigs. Obviously, they shouldn't shoot sport events, however.

• The issues you raise from the technique used are well-known - in theory. Should we conclude that only nitpickers defending their 3D investments would actually dislike the video (representing a tiny and shrinking universe) or should no one ever use this device?

LOL.

Shallow DOF and 3D are really bad pair, yes. It is not related to cameras at all, but on how your own eyes and brain work. As in 3D brains can't tell that they ara not actually allowed to refocus at any point they want :-) And if they want and can't - it makes you feel not very good.

Sometimes you can use it, yes. But not in any usual amounts you see in 2D.

Also, Samsung approach really can't be used In any serious production (due to serial shutter and tiny base). But it can be good for short distance shooting of any static things. Like nature or such. If you do not have big space for gear.

I can tell this as guy who has NX300 and 45mm lens, plus SOny 3D camcorder and Fujifilm 3D W3 camera.

• I beat you - I have (had): Sony 3D Bloggie, the Fuji W3, the Panasonic 3D1, the Sony HD10, and the Panasonic Z10000 (I forget the # of zeros). I have scores of 3D videos on Youtube, that no one watches.

In any case, here is another NX500 3D video:

I left in two artifacts of motion, just to show the issue:

1. Fast L to R tail wagging up close.

2. The vertical leap of a dog.

I like the combo of 3D and shallow DOF; makes me feel good :).

• I have scores of 3D videos on Youtube, that no one watches.

Well, yep.

As most youtube videos are watched on computers, tablets and phones - and around 99.9% of them do not allow to watch 3D.

• And there is the NEW Nintendo 3DS XL - it plays 3D Youtube through its browser, full color and glasses-free with face tracking camera. A good experience, and a way to share 3D video that is actually more acceptable among at least the people I know - everyone hates the glasses and other hassles of 3D.