Personal View site logo
19mm, 30mm, 60mm F2.8 Sigma m43 primes
  • 55 Replies sorted by
  • Honestly, not too much has changed with these lenses from the last generation. The build quality has improved and the rattling issue is much better but I don’t see any noticeable difference in image quality or Autofocus speed. If you have the last/original version of these lenses, I would say pass on upgrading your lenses unless you despise the plastic build or the lens rattle. Overall, we found the image quality to be quite good with both the 19mm and the 30mm.

In the end, these lenses are not bad in terms of results, they are simply more limited (slow AF and aperture) than other lenses available for this format. Image quality is very good and the build quality is better than some more expensive lenses in this format. In the end, the sluggish Autofocus and max aperture of F2.8 will immediately alienate a large chunk of prospective buyers.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/06/02/review-sigma-19mm-and-30mm-dn-a-lenses-for-micro-four-thirds/

• I've also been noticing a bit more aliasing and moire on the GH2 when using these lenses because they are so sharp.

• @Mordae

Because their main target is not m43.

• Why didnt they go with 12mm, 25mm and 42,5mm. In my opinion thats what the m43 market needs, 35mm equivalents.

• I own the 19 and I must say it is very strange lens and takes some getting used to (but it is worth it). Howcome you ask?

1) At 2.8 the sharpness field has some curvature. And that means no focus and reframe, that does not work to well, what you do (on my OM-D and on many micro 4/3 cameras) is to use touch focus in combination with this lens (at 2,8). The lens will then focus on the main subject and cause some nice background blurring. Not to much of cause, but nice enough to seperate main object and background to some degree.

2) At 8 the center sharpness drops a little but the edges benefit (I shoot landscape mainly so F8 is my F64) and you get a nice crisp sharpness across the field (reframing is possible but even here it is better to avoid it and go for touchscreen autofocus).

3) I use DxO in combination with this lens. Because the Olympus system does not remove CA that well (or better not at all). DxO greatly improves the image quality of this lens. I would recommend it anyway, but for this lens it is sort of essential. Not that it is a bad lens, but the guys at DxO seem to know what they are doing with this lens, the model rocks.

4) Near focus is 25 cm's and that means that with a 19 I can do closeups......not a replacement for a true macro lens (like the Oly 60) but nice to have around.

All in all, at a price tag of 120 euro an excellent lens.

I'm trying to get my hand on a 60 as well. 120 is about as much tele as I need and if the Sigma MTF graph is any indication this lens should rock even more.

Greets, Ed,

• By idea they must be same as old (optically)

That the Sigma 30mm, a $200 lens, is keeping pace with it is really amazing. Obviously it’s not really a wide aperture prime, with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, but it gives world-class resolution.

Some tests of 19mm and 30mm on NEX - http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/nex-7-lens-imatest-resolution-comparison

• @igorek7 Thanks for linking the m4/3 image samples. The 60mm looks like a great budget portrait lens... smooth bokeh, great color and very sharp wide open. Looks like i will have to pick one up!

• I just figured the steps would either be smaller or that it would have an analog motor. In any case, I did some video testing last night and found the lens to be pretty good. One thing I really like is that while focusing, there is almost no breathing at all. I might buy the others and stick focus gears on them just for that aspect alone.

• Of course all m43 AF lenses use fly-by-wire.

• Well, I got the 19mm and so far it's living up to the hype. It's a great LITTLE lens (it's so tiny, it looks like a toy) and so far it focuses fast and seems to be pretty sharp, a lot sharper than my Nikon 20mm f2.8 when wide open. The manual focus works pretty well except when you look closely the focus "steps" as you turn the barrel meaning it's not analog. The steps are fine enough that I don't see a problem focusing on specific objects. I missed out on an auction for a 30mm but I'll probably end up getting the 30mm and 60mm eventually and I'll have to do some testing to see how they work on video shoots.

• Sigma lenses are for me hit or miss for photography. I found the 20/1.8 and 30/1.4 soft, the 24-70 pretty good as well as the big ma 50-500. The 10-20 is very good.

• Well, I went ahead and bought the older model. I'm not concerned with boot time, only autofocus speed. We'll see what happens.

• Well the new one start up much faster than old ones, don't need to take few seconds to get ready to shoot

• A good review, but he mentions that Sigma said that the lenses had redesigned optics, while @John_farragut says that they are repackaged.. I doubt Sigma would say as much even if they were, but has anyone seen proof of either? I'm asking because I found a good deal on the older version 19mm but if the newer version is indeed better, I'd probably give the new one a try.

• "Hands-on with the new Sigma DN lenses for Micro Four Thirds" by Mathieu Gasquet http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2013/03/24/photoshow-2013-hands-on-with-the-new-sigma-dn-lenses-for-micro-four-thirds/ "...my first impressions are more than positive, especially for the 60mm".

• Any word in the pricing of the other 2 lenses? Will they also be in the $239 range? If so, then these look like a great deal. As Vitaly said these look good for general purpose shooting.

never mind, B&H is listing them for $199, what a steal.

• This is good lenses for practical tasks, like corporate and interviews. Sharp from F2.8, and you really do not need more. Cheap enough to have full set.

• I heard they are much faster than 20mm.

• Do you know how they autofocus? Is it as fast as the panny 20mm?

• What you don't see from the specs on these lenses is the quality of their images. They are superb. Google around for some comparisons. Sigma colors are rich and contrasty, The image pops off the screen.

• The other new A and C lenses are very interesting imo, these have really nothing appealing to me though and I don't quite understand them.

• So does anyone have any opinion on the lenses (old or new packaging)? I need a few autofocus lenses for the occasional photo shoot stuff.

• 60mm lens will cost $239, it hits the shelves in mid-May and will be available for Sony NEX E mount and Micro Four Thirds mounts. Shortest focus distance is 19.7 inches. It has 8 elements in 6 groups, 7 aperture blades