Personal View site logo
GX1 vs GF5 etc... (already have a GH2)
  • This is a bit of a weird post. I have a small army of GH2s and completely love them. I run them all hacked and use on every paid gig. However, I am going to purchase the Panny X 14-42mm lens for an upcoming concert (not a paid gig, just one I am attending) and noticed that for a few hundred above the cost of the lens, I could get the 14-42mm WITH a GF3/5 or GX1! THEN, I noticed the GX1 is supported by the hack..

Do you all have an opinion on a nice SMALL M43 camera supported by the hack? This would likely be a B camera on future shoots, and would be a great travel/family camera. The GX1 looks nice. If the hack allows me to get great footage and manual app controls over filming, then I would be THRILLED!

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated. I love my hacked GH2s... Vitality has done amazing work.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Goto

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3114/deals-m43-bodies-and-stuff-panasonic-olympus-gf5-pz-for-339#Item_21

Check suitable kit and buy.

Note that cameras you referenced do not have manual video mode.

• Thank you for the thread reference, have it bookmarked for further research.

Do you have a recommended alternative or should I just stick with my trusty GH2?

I guess for an extra $100-$200 I shouldn't complain about loosing that control. I really just want the 14-42mm X lens lens, but was thinking there was bound to be a good small alternative. Such a nice price!

• If you have not checked it out before, I think the FZ200 is a great compliment to the GH2. Uses the same battery and offers a LONG zoom lens in a compact package.

• The 14-42mm is quite a nice lens, but quite slow. Also it has a lot of 'breathing' as it tries to find the autofocus point. Can be annoying. But the lens is good for outdoor work. Indoor, maybe not

• My thought is to have it as a go-to lens for family stuff, and for... filming... a... Rolling Stones concert next month. =) HOWEVER, if it ends up being a decent lens for documentary/quick-run-n-gun stuff, then that is a bonus.

Regarding the FZ200, I am considering picking one up. Really wish Panasonic would put out a firmware update so that Vitaliy could open it up. High framerate with a higher bitrate would be perfect for several projects I have this summer...