Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Nice coverage indeed

• Here's a short movie using GOLGOP3-13 that shows a Cosmicar TV 8.5mm f1.5 lens on a GH2. I have overlaid an approximate crop that I think the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera will look like when using C-mount lenses. I had to take a file to the lens mount as it wouldn't focus to infinity but it works now. Considering this is a very wide lens it's safe to say we won't be seeing much fisheye on Blackmagics little baby. But this is surprising good and sharp considering the cost.

• @double_vision, adding a LANC or Follow Focus or short rails or LED or LCD etc is simply an option. Like all cameras it's flexible. Why should I be limited to only one use of the BMPC as if some sort of usage purity has to be maintained. If larger cameras can be outfitted to enhance functionality then there's no reason why someone can't do the same with the BMPC. I actually think it's going to be quite common to see rigged up BMPC's. I'm already thinking of finding the smallest possible gear to outfit the BMPC. I think it's going to be fun.

• it would be cool if a third-party company makes a pro-body case for the BMPCC. you could easily snap the camera into the case that would provide more conventional placement of connections, have space for a longer life battery, and give the camera a more ergonomic and professional-looking form factor. sort of like a cage, but with more features than just additional mounting points.

• Of course nothing will stop you from doing this. It's just probably not the most ideal camera for a lot of studio style shooting.

jb

• let's wait whether in practice it's only for fun. I used the GH2 for some commercial videos as testimonial, tutorials and even image films. In practice I had two handicaps: beeing taken seriously by clients when you set up this tiny camera for the first time. Having a request for 25p and shooting in HBR not with maximum quality.

Being taken serously will increase with the BMPCC ;-) but I dont see too much handicaps with the small sensor.There are a lot of amazing films shot on S16.

edit: if it's "only" fun.. well, I already spent some more money for useless things

• Adding LANC means adding bulk and budget. Thus, defeat the purpose of the pocket cinema camera (affordable and portable). Yes 12-35mm 2.8 is the shortest Pana lens with IS, but the price is around 1k, but the image quality is crips and sharp. I would suggest pana 14-140mm for low budget people. Used is only around usd400 and I heard good review about this lens. Pairing this with slr magic 12mm 1.6, you will get a nice combo of low light, and range. Suitable for traveling and minimalist like me.

• The shortest with IS is the Panny 12-35.

Regarding remote focus I'd not bet on it. Controlling it with LANC shows massive lag and lack of precision on other cameras.

• @johnbrawley thank you for confirmation. Could you advice one or two lenses with IS and wide (not too narrow) field. So I can see a final budget more or less. Thank you.

• @double_vision, I do know of a LANC for Panasonic that controls the Focus. The Manfrotto 521PFI

• @Aria, you can control the autofocus using external controller. "1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, Iris Control and Focus." Quote from BMC pocket webpage under tech spec http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/techspecs But Im not sure where we can buy the LANC.

• For the third time in this thread....

The pocket supports lens IS. If the lens has IS then it will have IS.

JB.

• COME ON @Maya, John is the official BMC representative, he knows this camera because he tested one.

• Why so many people refuse to believe the BMPC has IS? :) It's one of the funniest little disputes i've seen. It's like we keep going back and forth over IS on this camera. I do hope that one day they can add Auto Focus, tho I have no idea whether the camera has the processing to make that happen. I'm so used to shooting Manual that It almost doesn't matter, but there are times when it could be convenient.

• @john please explain us about this mount? does it supports the Lumix lens power ois option?

• @Maya

John has a BPC, I think he would know..

• There is no image stabiliser in bmpcc. active mft doesn't support Panasonic lens optical stabilisers mega ois and power ois.it has no details on any option other than electronic Apature control

• Hello @johnbrawley, could you clarify the crop factor of BMPCC?? There are so many misconceptions out there.

• @johnbrawley Thanks for the clarification.

• @stonebat

IS works on the pocket cinema camera.

JB.

• A used Gf3 is $110, and it enables in-lens image stabilization. Why not from $999 BMPCC?

Probably just more a more complicated task then they have time for. Blackmagic seems to be simply about bringing RAW video to the prosumers as cheap and fast as possible right now...

• There's in lens stabilization for bmpcc. Read John Brawley's blog.

• A used Gf3 is $110, and it enables in-lens image stabilization. Why not from $999 BMPCC?

• It seems many are thinking of this as a production camera. I like thinking of it in the way it's being discussed by some... Discrete and fun.

Oh definitely. But as long as companies like canon are refusing to sell anything besides 8-bit compressed cameras for under $15k... people are going to try. Not many other affordable options with great codec options like Black Magic.