Personal View site logo
Modern filmmakers, in pursuit of perfection
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • @DouglasHorn

I would add one side of narrative gear which major producers are using as just one trick to get ahead of the pack: massive, robotised, pre-programmed grip gear, (combined dolly, crane and steadycam) seen more and more often now,

I remember when both A and B-movies would still use the same cameras and film stock, but what gave away the low-budget genre used to be more its tripod-mounted shot-list compared to the dolly shots of the high-budget movie. In the late 60s -early 70's they even tried to compensate using zooms,

These days, narrative movies require a quality stabilizer as a bare minimum - by which I mean the combination of gear and a trained professional. Robotized grips are like a Formula-1 step ahead of that, arguably needing less human muscle and fatigue.

• Or maybe the paradigm shift will be to movies with a good quality story. Something most large budget, "robotized" production line movies lack.

• Like it or not hype is everything in this business just like it is in the music business. I spent 4 years recording, independently releasing, and marketing an album and it was the buzz that we slowly created that got the attention of the majors who came to us. I did the deal knowing I was gonna get screwed but after 4 years with no return on my investment it made sense to take the money and run.

Hype is what makes garbage like Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch huge and a good film like Rampart flop. Who would have ever heard of Andy Warhol if it wasn't for hype?

One thing I learned in my dealings with the majors is they don't know much about music, they just sign a bunch of artists and wait for something to "pop". So like the sales agent said they mitigate risk by looking for films/albums that already have a buzz.

I produced the album with the audience very much in mind just like I have with my screenplays. I don't see much point writing something that is destined to be one of the 97% of independent films (In the US) that never gets theatrical distribution. How do you know you've got something that will get hyped? I dunno, instinct?

Filmmaking is my business and chosen career so I have to make a living out of it but it 's years before you can expect a return and only if you have the guts, determination, patience, skills, and talent to engage an audience. It took Kubrick years to make a living out of his filmmaking and I don't think it's gotten any easier or harder for us, just different.

• It's all well and good to take the artistic high road and consider yourself above hype but there is no psychic power in a film that alerts an audience to its very existence.

Unless you've got millions to promote your film, you're already hopelessly uncompetitive in the international film market.

Filmmaking at this level may have its personal justifications, but it isn't a viable business and there's no rational approach to it.

Look at the case studies. The handful of ultra-low budget commercial successes pretty much came out of nowhere, and it's far from clear that the filmmaker's own marketing efforts, beyond festival submissions, had much to do with that success. It's also worth noting that none of these films were masterpieces, by any measure.

Just tell a story. The camera ain't holdin' ya back.

The camera isn't, but a whole lot of other factors will be. Money buys dramatic illusion, and telling a story effectively on screen -- unless the movie is really about making a low-budget movie -- doesn't come cheap. Bad as most Hollywood movies are, indies are typically worse, for lack of the resources which make Hollywood films at least half-watchable. Put those same stupidities in an indie, and the indie won't last 5 minutes.

• Making a film that isn't completely stupid doesn't have to cost any more than a stupid film. If you're a writer/producer/director you can start thinking about the budget as soon as you start writing. You don't buy dramatic illusion, you create it, sure it usually has a cost but that cost is determined by your creativity. The scene I linked to earlier in the thread didn't cost a cent to make and there's plenty of dramatic illusion going on there.

Same goes for promotion.

• If you're a writer/producer/director

then you're already in big trouble. The number of "directors" (actual or self-described) who can write at a professional level is tiny. Add "producer" to the job description, and the odds descend into the microscopic.

Even "directors" who have the sense to seek out a DP, instead of shooting the movie themselves, rarely have the modesty or good sense to concede that they can't write worth a damn.

Of course, everyone is his own exception to the rule. Which is another reason why there are thousands of unwatchable and unmarketable movies.

• Trouble? The trouble with most films is the lack of continuity of vision from the writer to the producer to the director, which gives me a distinct advantage. I'm also a DP and editor, and I might end up writing the score too. Sure there's not many people who can do all these jobs well, but the ones who can do very well.

• Okay, good luck guys. Sounds like everybody has it all figured out then.

• Looking at VK's graph, how many here think they could handle/direct/DOP/ a Hollywood size project?

Where & when does confidence / expertise kick in to bring you through into a big project?

Ask yourself, can you handle it?

Keep learning as much as you can, but in the end good delegation and team spirit are one of the most important aspects and certainly help as the economies of scale begin to increase. I believe no one can do it all.

• Is there not a radical disparity, quickly being normalised by D-Cine, between the creation of films, their projected quality ( something that is unbelievably under looked, perhaps I'm a traditionalist seeing movies as something we watch in the cinema) and their distribution? Films, out with the 'Hollywood' system, though arguably this applies to established European studio production, union jobs in other words, has always been made. It seems like a ridiculous point to canonise (pun) the 'democratisation' as changing this. (Please bear in mind this a small comment on a forum, the democratisation is an interesting topic with amazing changes and as many caveats, for another time)

• I've been really interested in so much said here. My above comment is just the basis of a far more in depth essay I could not be arsed to type on my phone

• Trouble? The trouble with most films is the lack of continuity of vision from the writer to the producer to the director, which gives me a distinct advantage.

+1

I have the same theory. Again, everything here is just going to be my observations and thoughts, so take it how you will... but to have multiple talents, in different areas, working together requires MORE effort and MORE delegation, IMO. This costs time and money. Having a director that can act as his own DP and Editor saves a ton of time... and it ensures things "work" together. The producer (or director) won't have to worry about styles between all the roles matching. Same with composing like you said above. I also like to compose my own music. Is it the best music? Who knows? BUT... it always works and fits the tone... because it's the coming from the same brain. I just work out the original music I heard in my when writing the scene, or when shooting. Again, is it as good as spending $10,000 on a real composer? Probably not. But, in my mind (and wallet), that's not even an option. The only option is to get better at composing myself. It doesn't cost anything, it's fun, and it allows me to work with other musicians with greater "precision" when the time comes. And like I said before, even if it's not "the best" score in the world... it's still the original music and cues I heard in my head when envisioning the scene the first time. So that part works at least...

And since everyone is talking about "experience"... I have two interesting stories:

The first one was me as a PA on a car commercial. It had this awesome German director worked as his own DP. Basically, it was probably the easiest/quickest production I have ever been around to date. He would just set up the shot and bam, it was done. No explaining crap. No delegating. He knew what he wanted and just shot it. This was one of the first projects that really got me question the "professional" process. So fast and easy. Why weren't all directors shooting their own stuff when it came to mostly visual pieces like commercials?

The second was me working as an assistant editor on a pilot for Comedy Central. I was also working a "DIT-ish" job on set and would constantly hear the "director" arrogantly proclaim such non-sense as "oh, I don't touch cameras... I'm a director", or "I don't know how it's going to work, that's for the editors". To make a long story short, in editing, the project was a mess. They had to hire on another assistant editor, as well as another main editor. Took an extra week. Went over budget. Why was this guy a "director" in the first place? Who knows. And even worse, how did the producers and executives not realize this guy had no idea what he was doing? I have multiple theories again, but as just a quick observation... "Hollywood" and the execs. really buy into the whole "I'm too creative to be technical" game. It's like an epidemic. The production meetings must have gone something like this...

Executive: "Wow, so you're terrible at visuals and editing?... you must be a GREAT director!!!"

It's really bizarre. How can you direct anything without AT LEAST being a great editor first?

I guess the disagreement on this thread comes from two different school of thought on film-making. One is the "exclusive" model. Where people believe the "secret" to great films is having as many specialized positions as possible. It's the belief that everything on a film is a separate discipline and should always be treated as such. Technology will always have a minimal effect here. As combining jobs would actually hurt the production.

The second, is the "inclusive" or holistic approach. These people believe that there is basically only one-talent involved in the process... "Film-making". There are no real separate talents in this model, just delegating. The director is the director, because if the technology existed... you could record the images from his/her brain.. and the movie would pop-out on the other end. Technology has a HUGE effect here. As it allows the fewer positions on set to get closer to the "original vision".

Neither is right or wrong I guess. Just observations on two schools of thought that people seem to have. And most things probably fall between the two.

Sorry, for the long post again. I always go off on tangents when I drink my first coffee of the day... :)

• There are people in this industry and every other industry that suck at their job but somehow they managed to get celebrity and so they get paid the big bucks. I hate celebrity, I much prefer to be the behind the scenes guy and just do my thing but if you want to be really successful you have to play the game. I know I sound arrogant at times (that's the German half talking) but I'm not some punk who just picked up a DSLR and thinks he knows everything there is to know. I started out as a runner over 20 years ago. I learned how to cut on tape and shoot on crappy Hi8. I was a record producer and ran my own label and when the D90 came out I started making films and I've crewed, shot, and directed more shorts than I can remember over the last 5 years. I've written 2 feature screenplays and a few shorts. I'm confident and scared shitless about my first feature.

Back when Kubrick, Coppola, Scorsese, Tarkovsky, Lucas, and Lumet were in their prime directors wore many hats and had a lot more control, the results speak for themselves. I'm not a control freak to the point where I think I can or want to do everything by myself, it's just hard finding good people to work with who you can trust. Good people are always in demand so it's a lot to ask them to come and work on a feature for a couple of months for almost nothing. Once I get the first film out there and prove myself it should be easier to find the right people to collaborate with, maybe then Shian won't think I'm a wanker and he'll come downunder to DP the prequel.

• In journalistic radio or TV journalism, I never, ever submitted anything unsolicited.

Like everybody else, I first organised with the executive producer what they wanted to do. If I'd been away from things for a while I've often had to prove myself all over again. I'd say I had an idea and what did they think - and the invariable reply would be:

I suppose you're offering this for free?

we don't pay for stories

we've spent our budget for this year but good idea anyway

we did a story like that earlier this year

(at this point I mumble something I've submitted before, mention a name, plead perhaps)...

Oh well there is a producer working on stuff for next year which is nothing like what you're proposing but sort of reminds me of what you're proposing ...

Later, I schmoozle, compliment and wrangle with the new producer, establish stuff like exact durations of each item in the series, intros, outros, what sort of common spin each episode will have ... bugger it, I'm prepared to change as much of my idea as the producer wants for the audience -

• then...

Blow me down if the producer doesn't end up seeing things my way after all! - he or she maybe shares my idea or thinks it's his/her own. Somehow he now suddenly thinks a longer duration would be better after all. All his constraints are out the window! I'm home & hosed!

A week later, he's moved on a whole quantum-leap. He's glad he's got that particular episode under way and he's "under a bit of pressure right now, can he hand over the whole pre-prod to me?"

That was before. Now there's an empty office and just a counter. The receptionist shows me to a pubescent somebody called a Purchasing Officer, who listens to me, then raises his eyebrows and says stuff to me while those eyebrows are saying, "Wha-a?"

Even as he's headed back to his office he's muttering to himself, once again,

"Wha-aaa-aaa?"