Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995

Specifications:

• High resolution 1080HD Super 16mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
    • Super wide 13 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
    • Compatible with extremely high quality Micro Four Thirds lenses. Compatible with other mounts via common third party adapters such as PL mount and Super 16 cine lenses.
    • Built in SD card allows long duration recording with easy to use media.
    • Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as ProRes 422 (HQ) and lossless compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
    • Features all standard connections, including mini jack mic/line audio in, micro HDMI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, LANC remote control and standard DC 12 power connection.
    • Built in LCD for camera settings via easy to use menus.
    • Supports 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
    • Compatible with DaVinci Resolve Lite color grading software.

Availableat:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

• 4493 Replies sorted by
  • wondering if it'll be impossible to delete clips like in the bmc

• There is something I don't get: How is this camera supposed to record "lossless" CinemaDNG RAW on SD cards and the 4K camera only "compressed" CinemaDNG RAW on (what I believe) much faster SSDs? Is the resolution between 1080p and 4K that much of a difference?

• If this is true, I will order ASAP.

Please METABONES, if you are reading this... whtere the F&^% are you with that m/3 to super 35 adapter!?? Killer combination now.

• @niGGo

I think it does not record raw internally at all, just on external Thunderbird or USB 3.0 drive.

• @niGGo I guess we'll find out what "the catch" is with that this week. "Oh yeah - to have that feature, you'll need to buy our external Thunderbolt recorder, for $2000, it comes complete with all kinds of annoying glitches and such.... aren't we awesome?"

• @shian

As I understand it still perfectly records in ProRes and has good DR.

Better look around for that you have at $995.

• Prores to SD would be awesome

• i hope they dont make it SO mac oriented.

• I'd pretty much decided to finally upgrade from my 550D which has fallen apart in my hands after 3 years flawless solid use to a 5D mk III but damn, BM are making it hard not to try something new...

• @niGGo, 'compressed' doesn't automatically mean 'lossy'. Lossless compression is used everywhere (eg. .zip/PNG/FLAC files). You can losslessly compress RAW without loosing any information (and many cameras already do for stills) - but it requires processor power to encode so it isn't always done.

The catch with lossless compression is that you typically don't get very high compression ratios, often less than 2:1. Still extremely useful though.

The camera sounds awesome, but I have a big problem with the crop factor - hard to get fast/small wides for it. I shoot on GH2's with Panny's 14mm and 20mm primes only, and the convenience and speed is something I wouldn't give up easily. But I'd kill for the DR and RAW so ...

• If this camera honestly do what it says, it is perfect for studio green screen and special effects in general.

• @north if that thing ever gets to the market, it will blow the 5dmkiii away, which will possibly be a lot better for stills or better in lowlight. but who wants soft 8bit 4:2:0 for three times the price?

• 13 stops just like BMCC? Well if resolution will be on par - that's a killer news. Hope there will be a consumer codec as well with more manageable file size.

• @Mirrorkisser

It is just different camera with smaller sensor. And most 5D sales are from people who shoot video occationally, and it is mostly some small business and family stuff.

• Thanks for the help guys.

@_gl Same problem here. Really love the specs of this camera, but shooting wide must be a pain in the ass. I guess there is no way of buying the Pocket Cinema Camera without investing into some used C-Mount lenses (or the like) - although I really don't know if there are any suitable and affordable lenses on the market.

Funny enough, I'm finding myself leaning towards the Cinema Camera v1 more and more again.

• @niGGo One of my first thoughts when I read about this camera was 'Lumix 7-14mm'. They're going to sell like hotcakes, especially to people who also own a Panny/Oly stills camera.

• @P13DM

Yep, glabal shutter could be even better for multicopter :-)

• @_gl: The crop factor is not a big problem at all. The BMC was a big problem as it was too small for 35mm lenses and too large for S16 lenses. This one is S16, which means S16 lenses. I have worked two times with real S16 and I've really liked the format and I'm really excited with this one. You can pick up S16 lenses for steals (PL zooms for less than $1000 and LOMO kits for only a couple of hundreds). That means real cine glass on a camera with 13 stops DR that records ProRes on SDs (no word on what for RAW yet) in a small size. For me, that's very interesting as a camera to use for small gigs. Even just getting a body and renting a nice set of PL lenses would be cheap and deliver great picture. So if it's any of the BMCs I'm looking at, it's weirdly this one.

• @Cde If I'm not mistaken, 7mm on the Pocket Cinema Camera would roughly equal the angle of view of 21mm @ full frame. I guess that's okay, although I usually like to go a tad wider.

• @niggo that would be a bummer, because 7mm is probably as wide as you can get in the m43 and legacy lens park. If that equals roughly 21mm on full frame..oh boy...

• @Mirrorkisser Got to keep that GH body around for something, I guess...

It's a compromise, sure, but you've got to expect that for $995.

• wonder if there is a chance to put s16 glass on that mount with an adapter. no idea how much those lenses cost or if there are adapters. but i cant believe that they did not have wider options back in the days :)

And i will always keep my sweet gh2 body in an honorary place :)

• @Mirrorkisser

Just check various topics about C mount glass here :-)

• If the first BMCC was aimed at stealing canon users, this is clearly aimed at the gh2 hack community. Lets see -- got the glass, got top of the line SDs that will be required, and most likely got a DP4 or DP6 or some other small hdmi monitoring solution. Which means you only need to buy the camera.

That said, I'm not preordering anything until I see what might be possible with a hacked gh3 -- just watched Upstream Color and it was a solid reminder of two things

1. even the gh2 is more than enough camera for any project and
    2. shallow DOF (not 5d shallow, but shallow) remains such a key ingredient in making something appear like a film and the m43 sensor size is really great for that, and was put to excellent use in Upstream Color (especially in an indie context where m43 gives up a bit more safety on focus pulls than s35, without losing the bokeh-y backgrounds you want); would have been much harder to do on s16, although certainly not impossible.