Personal View site logo
Fostex Audio Recorder
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • Some videos on this:

Hope this helps some, i wish the DC-R302 was affordable for my budget ...

• Just thought i'd mention that as an owner of this unit I can answer any questions anybody has on this, would love to be able to help anybody who has some questions.

• @Tobsen I'm surprised the only issue you're having is a low output as the mic input of the GH3 - or any device for that matter - is not made to receive a line level signal. Furthermore, the line output of the fostex in question is RCA. Are you plugging the phones out of your Fostex into your GH3 input?

• @spacewig no, I am using the mic out of the Fostex. the RCA is line out, which I tried with a Sony FS700 but with quite a signal as well.

• When you plug your Oktava into the fostex and you turn the gain up does the meter go up to -20db or more (when you speak into the mic)?

• The Fostex got a mic out on the other side where the XLR inputs are, see pic

Foto.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 661K
  • @spacewig yes it does. If I am very close to the mic the levels are fine, just when the mics re a bit further away, I am usually near the maximum gain level.

• I am honestly not an audio expert. I have only used SQN's before that I could borrow fro my former employer and those had a much higher output as far as I remember. EDIT: Which are mixers only, of course, but since the Fostex is adertised as both a mixer and a recorder I use this as a reference.

• @tobsen unplug the mic out cable. With the octava plugged into the input do you get a healthy level (i.e. -20db at least) when it is about 25cm away from your mouth and you talk at normal volume?

• @tobsen mixer, recorder, etc.... Don't worry about nomenclature. What counts is the individual blocks. If the unit has a microphone input it has a preamplifier, i.e. circuit to boost mic level to line level. This is what you we want to worry about right now.

• @spacewig at 25cm distance, levels are fine with room above on the Fostex. Most of the time I won't be able to place a mic that close though.

• @tobsen OK, so your device works fine to amplify level. Did you record and play back from the fostex to make sure it reproduces the level correctly?

• When you record actors it is normal for mic to be 1 meter away with a boom though you try to get as close as possible without mic coming into the frame.

• How limiters are implemented?

• Limiters make sure the signal does not reach the clipping point for the gain circuit or that the output does not go over 0 dbfs. Different devices use different philosophies, sound devices going as far as making sure the signal does not clip before reaching the gain stage which is very clever indeed.

• @spacewig

:-) I am not asking in general, I am asking about Fostex implementation.

• My apologies and I realize now my answer was general to the extreme, I'm sure you knew this already. I should be sleeping......

• @spacewig. I checked all my files in Audition CS6 and the readings on the Fostex display are close. At 1m, you start to get to the closer to the max of the unit, with reaching levels around -15db. Maybe the amplification is enough, but what about the output? I just checked again and sending a line out to a camcorder like a FS700 is quite weak. Using th mic out and setting the cam to "mic" is better in this regard.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev not fully tested yet. Limiters cannot be switched off as far as I know. Quality wise, I can't tell yet

• @tobsen If the fs700 has a line input, plug the line out of your fostex into it and see if the level reading on the Sony is the same as on the fostex. If it's not you might have a problem. But remember, the LINE OUT of the fostex must be plugged into the LINE IN(PUT) of the Sony.

• Ok, with line, I always have a lower level reading on the Sony. I checked in Audition and there was always a 6db difference.

• It is such a shame this thing doesn't record 3x discrete channels for mixing later, as it would be perfect for boom and 2x radios, which is what most shoots require. Mixing down live is not the best. I will continue to use 2x 2 track recorders, but I'd love 3x or even 4x discrete channels on one recorder ideally.

• I did post this as a separate topic but will ask here as well;

Can anyone who owns or has used this unit confirm whether it is able to remote trigger recording on the GH2? this feature is designed so that when you press record on the Fostex, recording is automatically triggered on the camera. This happens one of two ways;

1. via an infra-red trigger, which currently i believe only works with the 5dmk ii, or
    2. through a wire from the Fostex to the remote port on the camera.

For me the benefits of this have relatively little to do with synchronizing audio in post, but more to do with not forgetting to press record on both devices as this can lead to serious problems, but also only having to position one record button within easy reach of your thumb or finger. As the unit can have its own remote this could mean putting a remote on your rig bars.

@MRfanny who replied to the original thread, do you have the wiring diagram?

• Here ya go, gh3/gh2 same thing if im not mistaken. see if you can make heads or tales of it=) looks like you just have to wire up the green and pink to both ends of a 4pin 2.5mm male pole?

GH3_DC-R302cable.pdf
  • Are the front panel level pots analog/digital? I was looking at the Tascam 60D as potential but I hear its digital using ~3dB discrete steps giving audible clicks when adjusted whilst recording. How does the Fostex fair?

• its analog with no stepping. The Tascam is more feature rich isn't it?