Personal View site logo
RAW makes obsolete all your skill
  • 287 Replies sorted by
  • @dailyfilmfix

I agree, I just sold my ac130 to look for a camera with more flexibility in post, and the BMCC was it.

And yes, a real wedding videographer is running multiple cameras.

• I'm way late to this crazy discussion, but after watching the workflow demonstrated over at Cheesycam for the BMCC, I really saw great potential there. I also immediately thought of all the harddrives I was going to have to buy.

But seriously, photography is an art form. My wife is a terrific photographer and has been paid for her work. But she is not a technical guru, rather, one that can frame and make the choices of an artist.

When I shoot documentaries, I find myself making "safe" decisions over potentially artful ones. When you interview someone, you might, and often do, have one shot at it. As the DP, you are forced to take the ego out of it and get the cleanest shot framed very simply (I follow the old rule of thirds as best I can).

If you're capturing live events, like weddings, it is all about capturing the moment. And I'll bet that any wedding videographer worth his salt would be running multiple cameras and probably have a safety cam out there.

When I cut a Red feature for a guy last year, I was amazed how flexible the footage was in post. This enabled me to fix problems. We graded very little.

These days, I find myself amazed how much better footage I get out of my two old GH1s that have been hacked than out of my HMC150. In fact, I'm going to sell my HMC150, and probably buy a GH3. These days, I'm using FCPX, and I have the plugins from Crumplepop (the awesome Finisher is a must), and others that I picked up here and there. I'm fixing white balance better than ever before, smoothing skin in complex ways that looks natural, and adjusting color without having to use any other program. Now, this might not work for everyone, but I can't imagine the average viewer would complain.

Raw is just a tool, the art is where the money is.

• slide to fix? isn't that what RAW is for. adjusting and fixing?

• @GravitateMediaGroup

I alked specific thing, do not slide to "fix exposition".

• @vitaliy_kiselev I know 2 years old that can work an iPad, I'm sure if the lighting wasn't right, one could figure out how to fix it (if needed) in a specific situation.

although, I have brought a pitch black shot back to life, and a really blown out shot, back to normal.

• now, you can buy a camera, set it to auto everything, RAW, and adjust the rest in post.

What? You adjust aperture and shutter speed using raw? Can you teach me how?

• 30 years ago, a photographer would have had to make sure the lighting is perfect, the exposure is perfect, the focus is dialed in, and on and on and on.

now, you can buy a camera, set it to auto everything, RAW, and adjust the rest in post. Folks, I hate it just as much as anybody else, but it's real. I know it's real because I've been doing it since I owned my first DSLR. Although I still don't call myself a photographer, I like to take photos, good or bad is a matter of opinion. By my own experimenting, I can see how it would be EXTREMELY easy for somebody to jump in and say "I'm a photographer"

I will also be the first to admit that a real photographer doesn't need the help of RAW, or a $10k camera. http://www.iphoneography.com/

• @sph1nxster how on earth did you get that from what I said? lol there have been photographers, and now there are more photographers than ever, among those photographers will be village idiots, and with the help of technology/RAW, those village idiots can blend in better with the "professionals"

• @gravitatemediagroup Ah ok, I misunderstood. Totally agree with that premise!

• @robmneilson

my argument from the start has nothing to do with being "good" VK titled this topic. My argument is that RAW is making is possible for ANYBODY to do it, and make in convincing.

and I do not disagree with the chart VK posted. I very much agree with it.

• For those of you who want read more about VK's chart, the documentary filmmaker Errol Morris wrote a great 5 part article about the topic a few years ago for the New York Times.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/the-anosognosics-dilemma-1/

• But by your argument, he is good then? Since all this leaps in digital technology negates skill, knowledge, and artistry.

Sure RAW helps a total amateur take a decent looking still, but it's not going to create a legion of masters.

• @GMG are you saying then that all photographers are like village idiots? Because if you aren't then your logic above does not work.

• @robmneilson have you ever heard of "lil b" lol look him up and you'll get my point. NOTHING about his music is great. but SOME people think he is the best rapper to ever live.

wonder what 2pac would think of this? lol

warning: explicit language

• @gravitatemediagroup so all those rappers are putting out great albums? Or do they need to be an artist to produce good art?

• @spacewig you just summed up the whole conversation

there have always been village idiots, but now there are more with the help of technology?

there have always been photographers (since the invention of the camera) but now there are more with the help of technology?

• So is the number of village idiots thanks to a keyboard and a few fingers.

• @robmneilson I would say the number of "rappers" is at an all time high thanks to a computer and a USB mic.

@radikalfilm maybe I would if I was a photographer? There is no such thing as proper composition & framing BTW. What doesn't look good to YOU, may look amazing to somebody else.

• I would say that a similar argument to this thread would be....now that you can play and record perfect synthesized music on your computer that there is no longer a need for a musician to create a great song?

Which is equally full of shit!

• Dunning-Kruger Effect chart is just great! I wish, I wish you would have posted this earlier, I get in touch with so many people at work who think they could do my or the other guys (creative) jobs just as well, when they really are the most untalented and unskilled person's of all ----- they just don't notice it and it makes me so mad at times.

• absolete = obsolete or absolute? i guess both fit ;)

absolete means - absolutely obsolete

• absolete = obsolete or absolute? i guess both fit ;)

• Wildlife photographers, or landscape? no idea......

I am pretty sure that raw is all you need for wildlife.
    Just get big rock, throw it into the big lion and you will have some time to make few really dramatic shots. Your wife later could even sell them to cover part of expenses for your funerals.