Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • I still don't understand why the GH3 is about +185% more expensive body only than the GH2. Admittedly it's better, but they've priced it almost like another camera range.

Edit. I'm on about high street release prices, not discounted after 18 months.

• Let me get this right. If I have anything bad to say about the GH3, however constructive or reasoned, I have to put it in that thread? Righto

• I don't know what that guy did in his test but D5200 is not looking that good, period!

And I've seen a lot of low light situations on the street with GH3 and non of them ware that bad, something is fishy about his test...

I search everywhere on the internet about D5200, it looks modest at most.

• Does the GH3 use AGC for mic inputs? Or does it act more of a leveler to prevent clipping?

Can't seem to find any concrete information on this anywhere.

Obviously you can alter the mic levels in camera but I read somewhere that the GH3 still has AGC across all settings which seems bizarre.

• You can set the new MS2 shotgun to a required peak threshold using the 'mic level adj.' - the AGC will still use that peak as its topmost limit like without a ext mic. See more info here regarding this excellent (but expensive) GH3 designed microphone;-

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5440/panasonic-dmw-ms2-shotgun-condenser-microphone#Item_7

• Hi all,

We just shot a short film with the GH3 and it is finished now. It might be interesting for you guys to see what the GH3 can do. The film was shot over 2.5 days. I added some details in the film's description. Make sure to download the film for full 1920x1080 resolution, as I don't have a paid Vimeo account.

Let me know what you think! Questions will be answered as well.

Link:

Enjoy watching :) Cheers.

• "Bhutan - Land of the Thunder Dragon" by Ira Bloc [

• GH2 Cluster X Series 12 GOP setting outperforms the GH3

GH2 Stock 12 GOP - versus - GH3 Stock 12 GOP IPB .mov mode - versus - GH2 Driftwood Cluster X 'DREWnet' Trial 6 setting;-

Driftwood's Cluster X Series 12 GOP 24p setting 'DREWnet' underlines the fact that the GH2 still resolves finer quantisation (using its 4x4 transform with 20+Mbps more datarate) on a death chart resolution test. The GH3 employs both coarser 8x8 transform and 4x4 transform (4x4 is only used by the GH3 for hi contrast luma edges).

Cluster X 'DREWnet' 12 GOP 1080p24 on average resolves 60+-72Mbps and a QP avg of 10 for most scenes. GH2 owners can try out the setting by going to this page and link in the 12/15 GOP comment;-

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5806/driftwood-new-cluster-x-series-drewnet-1215-gop-nebula-6-gop-spizz-3-gop-moon-intra/p1

Note: Ive also measured the 5DMKIII and its pretty bad.

24p

• @Driftwood thanks for the comparison! Did you test 25p as well?

• @Driftwood Interesting stuff Nick!

• @Tobsen As you know the GH2 can only do 25p/30p (HBR mode) in a 50/60 wrap. The GH3 25p/30p is setup similar to the 24p stuff - pure progressive. The GH3 defo wins in this matter.

Whats interesting is that come the GH3 hack we should easily be able to deliver all the settings from the GH2 straight into the AVCHD GH3 settings in beautiful co-existence - GH3 stock mov settings and GH2 AVCHD. Best of both worlds... until work begins on the mov settings.

• Cluster x trial 5 is much better,. Just loaded and grabbed few low light shots,..@thepalalias any plans for comparision test in 24p ,, between Sedna canis intravenus and cluster x t5 ??

• @rajamalik Probably not until mixing slows down. 13-18 hour workdays don't leave a lot of time for that. :)

• the drewnet 6 gh2 hack may test better on a death chart, but in real world footage, i'm still finding the gh3 outclassing every gh2 hack, including drewnet 6. i'm not meaning to downplay the work nick has done, these hacks are incredible and drewnet 6 is no my go to hack for my three gh2's which serve as b-cams to my gh3. obviously personal preference plays a role in all of this.

• @SeekingHeartwood Not so fast. I think you may be surprised by the measurements - try Cluster X DREWnet 24p versus GH3 IPB 24p in real footage - you will see :-) 4x4 transform is a finer transform than 8x8 - 4x4 just uses more bitrate (20mbps more than the GH3). Quicktime mov IPB FHD modes are only High Profile Level 4.1 on the GH3 (High profile level 4 on GH2) so macroblock sizes and mb count (8160) are the same. The use of 8x8 transform means that most of the GH3 picture is coded at a coarser quantisation which allows for slightly higher i frame sizes but average frame size as you will see in my graphic comparison above is lower. 1080p50/60 modes and Intra modes on GH3 are level 5. 108050/60 average frame sizes on the GH3 are incredibly small.

I have 2 GH3s but still using my hacked GH2s as A cams. Encoder wise there's nothing in it 12/15 GOP wise. The sensor of the GH3 may be better which in HVS terms means people like the look better.

Hacked GH2 Intra (like moon setting) is way better than the current GH3 Intra modes.

• Thanks Nick, I'm happy to be proven wrong, shooting an interview later today with the gh3 and the cluster x drewnet, I'll try to squeeze in an extra camera with moon and compare all three and re-evaluate. Thanks for all of your work.

• @Driftwood thanks! Yeah, makes sense. Like most of us, I am quite excited about a GH3 hack :)

• We recently tested a number of new SLR-like (mirrorless) cameras, and we were surprised to find that one, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3, scored higher than all the SLRs tested in this group.

In addition to scoring well in the Ratings, part of the story revolves around how the Lumix DMC-GH3 and other SLR-likes have built in many of the features consumers want. For example, the GH3 is one of the few advanced cameras with a swiveling touch-screen LCD. And you can set focus and shoot by touching the display. You can find this feature on some smart phones, but most SLRs won't have it, as they don't have touch screens.

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2013/02/slr-like-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3-outscores-slrs-in-consumer-reports-lab-tests.html

:-)

• ///////////

• I can never take that guy seriously anymore. I asked him on his page why he used cam audio for such a review if him and his friend are such pro shooters. He said he doesn't have time for something like that, told me unless I had something important to say, to go away, then deleted my comment. I just figured if you are presenting yourself as some sort of expert or pro and review products, maybe your sound should be better than an 11 year old doing a video on their phone. Just my two cents.

• Rik Cordero ‏shot the Jared Evan & JoeyBada$$ video "Black & White"

on their custom GH3 Anamorphic rig http://three21media.tumblr.com/post/41209761910/anamorphic-gh3-eng-rig-version-1-team321

• Just Released! New GH3 Firmware had been announced at Panasonic Japan Web site along with new firmwares for three lenses. http://panasonic.jp/support/info/dsc/update_gh3.html (Japanese) It says the release of the new firmware will be around the end of March 2013.

GH3 1.Wi-Fi connection with PC name(For Apple Mac NetBIOS name) 2.MP4 Mode will get 1920x1080 60p and 28Mbps Mode

Lenses (H-PS14042, H-PS45175 and H-FS45150) improvement for AF Speed and continuous photo shooting in AFC, etc...

I have no further info, just translating this newsto be shared. Stay tune for the English or Global site's announcement...