Personal View site logo
Looking for a GH2 standard focal lens with f-stop around 1.7
  • So I finally want to get rid of the 14 - 140mm kit lens (you know, bad aperture and moving to manual lenses...) I bought with my GH2 and already own a SLR Magic HyperPrime 12mm/f1.6 and an old Canon 50mm (with adaptor about 70mm)/f1.4 lens. Both never let me down. What I'm currently looking for is a lens for most kind of shots that would be between 20mm and 30mm (so finally more or less 50mm equivalent). I've already read about the 20mm/f1.7 Pancake from Panasonic (40mm equivalent and not thaaat a big difference to 12mm) and the Sigma 30mm (adaptor needed, so it would actually be about 80mm then)/f1.4 but still have absolutely no idea which one to choose... I've heard about the Voigtländer 25mm/f0.95, but that's far too expensive.. What is important to me: - fast lense - nice bokeh (that might match the 12mm HyperPrime a bit) - more or less 50mm equivalent, even with adaptor - max. price ~ 500 € (!)

Thank you in advance Simon

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • We have certain approach here, meaning minimum "suggest me" or "looking at" topics.

Check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/lenses category, we have topics for specific lenses as well as lenses categories (like old 24-28mm lenses, etc). Choose one you like.

• SLR Magic 35mm 1.4 works nicely with their 12mm T1.6. Has some user reported repeat focus issues, but great value, has gears, and a bokeh king!

• Sigma 30mm (adaptor needed, so it would actually be about 80mm then)

Which adapter is that?

• I really recommend the 25 mm voigtländer. I got mine from ebay for about 600€. Everyone will recommend that one. It has f0.95 (which you will rarely want to use!), and a very smooth focus ring. I love its bokeh!

• If you don't have a Panny 20mm then you should buy one :)

• @inqb8tr Canon FD to M4/3 adaptor.

• Thanks so far for your support guys...

What I worry about concering a 25mm lens is that it might not be such a big difference to the SLR Magic 12mm.

• I'm just looking for a lens for almost any kind of situation that is not a wide-angle one and not more than 60mm equivalent. Do adaptors really affect the focal length? I just found the Samyang/Walimex Pro 24mm f1.4 that has to be mounted with an adaptor (Nikon > M4/3 or Canon FD > M4/3).

• What I worry about concering a 25mm lens is that it might not be such a big difference to the SLR Magic 12mm.

Don't worry, completely different. An example on a protrait shoot (look the difference between 24mm and 50mm): image

• @lenuisible So you think investing in a 25mm Voigtländer or whatever would be worth it...

• So would the Samyang 24mm mounted with an adaptor still be 48mm equivalent or more than that?

• @simonhestermann adapters do NOT change the focal length of the lens (unless there are optics in the adapter, I guess). The whole crop factor equivalent mm-discussion is a little irrelevant unless you are familiar with shooting full frame and know which lenses you like to use, or for some other reason want to compare to a full frame camera.

• @perder I do compare shots to the Nikon D800 and like to combine both GH2 and Nikon footage. What made me wonder is the fact that the old Canon 50mm lens I was talking about really seemed to be converted to a 70mm lens using the adaptor. I compared the shots of the Canon and the zoom lens in FCP X afterwards and got an idea about the Canon focal length that way.

Anyways, I've just had a look at the SLR Magic Twitter page and asked for the 25mm/f0.95. Hopefully, it's a bit cheaper than the Voigtländer... (well, otherwise nobody would consider investing in one...)

Other suggestions still appreciated!

• @simonhestermann
    @perder

Please, keep all focal length / adapters talks out of the topic.

• All right then. No more discussions about adaptors and stuff...

Besides the Voigtländer 25mm, has anyone heard about or tested out the Sigma 30mm/f1.4 or the Samyang 24mm?

• Samyang 24 is a fine lens, not cheap though. Still has a little breathing but I don not have a Voight to compare it too.

• @simonhestermann if you can live with f2, you have some choice with old lenses (a lot of mount have 24mm and 28mm f2).

To have some ideas of the price, just search on eBay "24mm f2 -F2.8" and "28mm F2 -F2.8" (minus to remove the numerous F2.8 lenses)