Personal View site logo
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by

(Broadcast version)

• OMG! It's hand cranked too!

• elle schneider:

"The crank is programmable to a number of purposes, including over/undercranking FPS and, in the future, follow focus for our lenses".

Programmable follow focus handle! Now why didn't anybody think of that before?

• @goanna

Do not worry, they have no idea why they need crank. Their lenses as I remember will be without aperture at all with price exceeding any premium lenses. Of course, they also exist, in their mind only.

I am still waiting comments on how you can drive focus of fully mechanical lens by turning fake crank that has opto sensor.

• Hmm, that design reminds me something ;-) image

Above is an IR Thermal Imaging Camera by Testo: http://www.testosites.de/thermalimaging/en_UK#/0/11/

• Here's a nice quote on availability:

I’m not sure what you mean “reaching market (not just a few individuals)”. In some ways you are correct. We are not scaling to meet huge demand this year, but we will be delivering the first 100 cameras this quarter, and we will be pre-selling 300 cameras after that. Then when those 300 are delivered (in a much more timely way) we will pre-sell 500 more, and so on raising the number of cameras we can produce each time. And growing our production facility, distribution, and service facilities organically. So if you are saying “reaching market” meaning on the shelves at B&H ready to buy not in a pre-sale environment you may be correct. But we will be delivering a couple thousand cameras this year, depending on the demand it may or may not be difficult to get one, but it will be possible

• @ahbleza - yeah, I read that and said, "WTF?" So, they produce/ship 400 units the first half of this year (not that easy) - they're suddenly going to crank out 1600 in the Fall? :/

• interesting to see what happens on this… not sure we'll see it for some time yet.

• @rockroadpix I think they will deliver some of the "first 100", and will try to pre-sell the next 300, but will get so many returns when people realize that it doesn't meet their needs that the whole house of cards will collapse. And that's the optimistic projection. I'm keeping my order for the BMCC.

• I'd love the ergonomics of this camera if it were $500. But man, I would be annoying having all those XLR's poking me in the face would I wish to attach an EVF to this and operate with the camera on rails a bit forward of my shoulder. Why not get rid of the crank, and just put all the XLR's on the dumb side of the camera. I can deal with pushing buttons to get through menus, no need for a crank.

• So now they've outsourced the PL mount (allegedly). I wonder how this will workout for all the backers expecting a PL mount... http://www.digitalbolex.com/hot-rodding-d16/

Still no launch date in sight, but at least there's a monitor hood that uses irregular screw threads and interferes with the hot shoe mount... http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29041409

• We don’t have any specifics yet on price, but it will be on the less expensive side of what he makes PL wise. I think it would be below $1000.

:-)

This guys rock. Most interesting thing for me is how long this circus will last.

• This is funny. I would not want to be anywhere near this train wreck!

Screen shot 2013-02-05 at 6.52.46 PM.png
    638 x 462 - 38K
  • I'm going to design a new camera including 8K gshutter and 10000fps in raw, please donate 1 million dollars, i am based in the Bahamas, first i will need a Corvette so i can meet up with production hq

/sarcasm

• My guts have never failed me yet, the hippy chick lost me in the interview with Phil Bloom, never trust a hippy chick.

• Is the trigger handle removable? Because, if it's not, I don't get all the love for the ergonomics of this camera. There is a reason why camcorders evolved away from the center mounted handle underneath that the super 8 cameras (&some 16mm cams)had... It's not really a comfortable way to hold a camera. They would have been better off going more modular with a grip on the right side and losing the "adorable" crank.

• @rockroadpix

I think it is removable.

• Yes, it is. They want you to be able to rig it however you like.

I hope they pull it off.. I want to shoot 4:3 anamorphic.

• http://www.digitalbolex.com/kish-prototype-lenses/

This guys announced their "beloved" lenses, fixed focus and fixed aperture, as promised.

• ...and the whole camera incl. lenses tarred, now it's waterproof!

• Ugh. They list that lack of moving elements inside the lens will keep you from having to have your lenses "recalibrated" (I don't think I've ever needed to bring a lens in for recalibration before - how many people have?), but they brag that the in-camera focus mechanism is motor-driven. You know, because motors work for pretty much forever and never need repair.

Also, f/4 is awfully slow for a modern-day prime and it's even worse if it's fixed. People have been putting apertures into lenses for more than 120 years. Not every scene wants the same DOF.

While it's supposedly a fixed f/4 aperture, they made no mention of the fact that their chosen focusing system results in less light coming into the lens as one focuses closer...

• Wow great, buy some slow lenses that will only work with this one camera system forever. Sounds like a great deal!

I'm sure the focusing system won't give anyone a headache when they need to pull a quick move, or are working on the fly for a doc shoot.

Down in the comments they say they will also make an F8 and F2 set as well. So figure you get an F2, 4.5, and F8 set of three lenses it will run you about $2700 plus the $500-600 mount.

• Sounds very proprietary. Is Steve Jobs running this from the grave?

• Is Steve Jobs running this from the grave?

Second part of assumption seems to be true, but I am sure it is different individual and this one was born in Romania.