Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • @apefos : I hope you don't mind me abusing your expertise on the subject, but is there any technical reason why they couldn't make an adaptable front mount? I've got a lot of Konica Hexanons, a few OM's and 3 very long Adaptall telephotos that I'd like to use, but it's unimaginable to get 3 Boosters.

Or can the Hexanons & Adaptalls be converted to OM/FD with proxies?

• @duartix

in the pdf white paper they explain why the rear adapter is better than front adapter, take a look at it.

VK sent to them the idea of makinf the booster with interchangeable mounts, so lets wait to see what they say about it.

Adaptall lenses can be converted to other mounts with tamron Adaptall adapters, search in ebay.

longer flange lenses can be converted to shorter flange lenses with no glass adapters. Just search ebay to try to find what you need: "OM FD adapter" "Adaptall FD" "Konica FD" and so on... Maybe you can find one booster version to fill your needs, or avoid some lenses to use just one booster, or in the worst case get two boosters.

My case is the simplest: get the FD booster to use FD and Nikon lenses.

• Thank You Vitaliy. I just got an email from Metabones, they said m4/3 version will be available around June.

• A question out of curiosity.

Does SP adapter shorten the flange back distance?

If yes, the adapter is shorter than a simple dummy EF-M43 adapter?

• @stonebat The Speed Booter EF-M43 will be shorter than a normal EF-M43 adapter. It is covered in the white paper linked on the first page.

• SEems like the Active EF to MFT mount will be some time off, and there doesn't seem to be a plan for a Passive EF to MFT... to me, that's the best option we have and although I'm usually against mass emailing a company with a wish list... if anyone else feels like passive EF is necessary I would email Metabones' Mark and let him know.

I'd be more than happy with either Passive or Active, but IMO it should come before any of the other mounts as most of that glass can be adapted to EF anyway.

Also, I was told that the MFT mounts would be released sometime Feb-March.

• @fredfred27 Thanks. I'm too lazy to read the doc :) I guess that's why they can't support Leica R mount.

• The June timeframe sounds fine. Hopefully they iron out all issues from the NEX version and release a solid product for M43.

• @kholi

I can't see any point in a passive EF mount, at all. Passive Nikon F (which is already planned), yes.

It would be nice to see if there are any options for PL mount, but I know the design is tricky with PL, regardless of mirrorbox or not.

• @kholi

I need a passive EF-m43 mount for the rokinons. But using an active EF-m43 mount could also work in this case right?

• @itimjim

Most PL lenses wont cover full frame and hence will likely vignette quite heavily on aps-c. the cp2's will be ok i guess. but with m43 a pl mount would be amazing. master primes on the gh2 anyone?

• @apefos: Obrigado! I believe you have answered my question.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting a front mounted adapter. I was suggesting an adaptable front mount on the current Booster, like Vitaliy said before. I was just asking you if there was any technical reason not to do it.

• I wonder how long before the Chinese start making copies of speed-booster and selling it on eBay for $30 :)

• @kronstadt

I think the kodak patent will expire in March and this will be the new thing. The metabones adapter has 4 elements in 4 groups..... maybe you will see this go below $100 bucks in a year or two but I would not count on it. Not everyone can manufacture this like you see with passive adapters.

I am more excited by other manufactures pushing the limits of this technology, what if you used this on a medium format lens. 60cm image circle to something that will work on a m43 size sensor..... what is that 3-4 stops extra.

• I really hope they do an mft to Canon FD. This + Tokina 11-16 + BMCC = wide and fast solved.

• Would you really gain 3-4 stops using a a medium format lens? That seems pretty amazing. What would a Mamiya 110/2.8 turn into? A Mamiya F/0.8?

• The Tokina trio: 11-16 2.8, 16-50 2.8, 50-135 2.8 turns roughly into: 8-11 2.0, 11-35 2.0, 35-100 2.0. Can't think of a better set :)

• "Hi all, I pre-ordered the adapter and just got it in today. I am planning to do a thorough review of it soon, but for now I've just been messing around with it. As far as I can tell, there is no loss in sharpness or light blooming or any of the other weird effects that adapters with built optics often have. I'm not sure if it makes lens necessarily better, but I don't think it makes them any worse. It really is like having a full frame camera.

The speed boost really works too. It feels kind of subtle from F1.4 to F2 but it's really obvious at F4 and slower.

There is one caveat and it's potentially major and that it doesn't seem to focus quite to infinity. It's almost there but it's just a little soft. I think focusing in general is thrown off a bit as compared to the focus marks on the lens. Like, it might focus a little closer than normal. However, I could be wrong and it might focus to infinity. I haven't done the proper tests to confirm this.

All in all, this looks like the real deal. And it's really not that heavy to address that one dude who was saying something about it being 197 grams or whatever it weighs."

THIS COMMENT IS FROM TERRYKIM

For infinity focus issue:

http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/155-infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

• Holy crap, most people here seem pretty confused about this whole thing. Flange focal distance (FFD) refers to the distance between the sensor and the lens' mount. The FFD CANNOT EVER BE CHANGED if the lens is going to focus properly. A lens with a LONGER FFD can be adapted to any mount that is a SHORTER FFD, but not the other way around.

For example, a Canon FD lens has a FFD of 42mm. Canon EF cameras, however, have a FFD of 44mm. This means that the front bayonet of the EF camera is 44mm in front of the sensor. An FD lens, however, MUST be 42mm from the sensor. Therefore, you cannot put an FD lens on an EF camera, because the lens cannot be mounted close enough to the sensor. The EF mount sticks out in the way by 2mm.

Now, for this reason, cameras with a shorter FFD can accept any lens mount type with a longer FFD. It stands to reason, then, that you'd want a camera with as short a FFD as possible. To adapt lenses with a longer FFD, you simply bridge the gap with a correctly-lengthed "adaptor" (which in most cases is a fancy word for a tube with the two different bayonets on either side). This is why mirrorless are so adaptable. They have very short FFDs. (M4/3 is 19.25mm, and Sony's E mount is even shorter at 18mm.)

To adapt straight from the 18mm front of a NEX camera to the 44mm FFD back of an EF mount lens, you need a 26mm adapter to bridge the gap.

However, mirrorless cameras have smaller sensors, and therefore smaller fields of view compared to larger sensor cameras at equal focal lengths.

Metabones looked at that 26mm of empty air between the 18mm NEX camera and the 44mm EOS adapter, and figured they could put some optics in there that would correct for the difference in sensor size between EF cameras and APS-C cameras (NEX).

Now, why would we want a cold mount EF-M4/3 SpeedBooster? Well,

@Paddy mentioned: "From one of the developpers, on another forum: "Passive MFT will be added in March 2013 for Leica R, Alpa, Contax C/Y, Contarex, Rollei and Nikon (including DX and G). An active MFT for Canon EF is planned for the future.""

Canon EF is a shorter FFD than any of the other mentioned mounts, meaning that any lenses in these other mounts could easily be adapted to the EF SpeedBooster. Not so in reverse. A speed booster in these other mounts would not accept any EF lenses. The ideal is a SpeedBoost adapter where the camera side (rear of the adapter) has a LONG of a FFD as possible, and the lens side (front of the adapter) has as SHORT of an FFD as possible. Now obviously, there are limitations to this. MetaBones has put optics in there which take up space. The real question is, how much space do the optics take up? If MetaBones could shorten the front from the 44mm EF mount down to the Konica AR mount at 40.70mm, Minolta, FD (and of course Konica) lenses would be added to the list of adaptable lenses. Also, if MetaBones could change the camera end of the SpeedBooster to, say, the 25.5mm FFD Samsung NX mount, it would be mountable to both M4/3 AND NEX cameras quite easily with an adapter.

TL;DR . . . READ THIS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

• Concerning the "light boost" that this sucker gives you, it isn't really making the lens any faster. The lens still transmits the same amount of light as it does on a FF camera. It is just that without any corrective optics between lens and sensor, on a crop sensor camera much of the light from a FF lens doesn't even hit the sensor. As far as I know there is no way this adaptor allows lenses to have a higher T-stop than they do natively on a FF camera. By using the "SpeedBooster" on a crop sensor camera, you are not boosting anything, but rather are gaining back the light that you otherwise would have lost by cropping in (remember: crop sensor) on the lens' image circle.

So, to answer your question, @DrDave "Would you really gain 3-4 stops using a a medium format lens? That seems pretty amazing. What would a Mamiya 110/2.8 turn into? A Mamiya F/0.8?"

Yes and no. F-stops would "increase" (i.e. be brought back up to medium format level), giving you as shallow a depth of field as you get when using this lens on a medium format camera. You would gain back 3-4 T-stops of light that you "lost" by using the lens on a crop sensor camera.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it is possible to actually increase a lens' light intake at the rear end.

• @brunoalmedia

So it is, thanks for pointing that out. Missed that one.

• @B3Guy Now we need to get someone that makes cheap adapters, Nikon - ALPA (8.7 mm) , Md Minolta - ALPA (5.92 mm) and Canon FD - Alpa (4.2 mm).

• @Brunoalmeida I intend on doing this. i don't need electronic control of ef lenses, nor do I use Alpa lenses. I will buy an alpa speed booster and probably fashion some type of flat metal adaptor to replace the alpa bayonet. since there is infinity focus adjustment built into the speed booster I will aim to get as close tolerances as possible and have the infinity calibration to tweek it to perfect. the simplest option would be to take the front flange off whatever cheap dumb adaptor you need to use and use a thickness of machined aluminium to make up the extra distance.

it'll be a nice few hours project and I'll save $200 off the ef version

• I as well don't use lenses with electronics, and I think for those that do it is really safest to use lenses native to their camera body mount.

I've had good luck with basic cold mount adapters from China off of EBay, but I think what @Vitaliy_Kiselev was getting at is that MetaBones could make the SpeedBooster in just one or two core models and ship it with front and rear adapters for various other lens/body mount combinations. SLR Magic has done this with their new 35mm, which I believe has a Leica M mount and ships with either a M4/3 or NEX adapter.

I do not know if EBay seller ciecio7 is still making new adapters, but he makes top quality adapters and might be persuaded to make some kits for the SpeedBooster. I have one of his FD-M4/3 adapters and it is amazing. He already has adapters for OCT-18 lenses, which is pretty niche, so special application adaptors seem to be right up his alley.

I do wonder, though, if the SpeedBooster cuts flare. I generally don't like too much flare, but I'd hate for it to cut flare on the occasion that I actually want some, especially from my anamorphic.