Personal View site logo
Is a cheap 28mm lens suitable for filming with GH2
  • Hi,

I have recently invested in a GH2, it's hacked and ready to go, I didn't think It would get me into photography as much as it has! But I bought it especially for my film projects.

I'm 17 and shoot small scale short films when I can. I previously used a sony A1E HDV camcorder and so focusing was nothing of an issue.

I have the 14-42mm lens and focusing well is an issue, the auto-focus from what I have seen using the camera simply isn't suitable for film projects (this is what had expected). So as this lens is not a an option for pulling focus as there is no direct-drive focus I have bought a nikon adapter to use a 50mm 1.4 (lovely) lens I have and shoots great and I am able to pull focus but it is simply cropped far too much so I assume a 28mm will fix the cropping issue. I also already have a canon EOS adaptor for the GH2.

My question is: Should I buy a cheap but sharp 28mm lens from ebay with a smooth direct drive focus ring and use this to pull focus (as I believe 28mm will produce the best results as anything shorter would distort the image?) when shooting or is there a better option?

I've done some searching for answers but nothing conclusive, my budget is at most £100 for a lens.

Thank you very much for any help, Max Herman.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Lovely, Thanks very much.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions