Personal View site logo
17.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander topic
  • 205 Replies sorted by
  • I bought mine from Mainline too. They are the Australian distributor for Voigtlander. Their prices seem to be the best I've seen anywhere. Took about two weeks until new stock came in. The 25mm is also well priced @ $895.00 AUD.

• Just unboxed this beauty on the 25th! Very excited to start using it - my first serious investment in glass! is it foolhardy to use without a monitor? Am quite used to focusing through my varavon loupe, is this a viable approach with a wide open 17.5?

• Congrats. It's sharper than 25mm 0.95, but not really easy to focus at max aperture. I use the body's screen magnification feature. Varavon loupe sounds nice.

For being able to blur the background for full body shot, I think it's worth. Yes this lens inherits all the good things from 25mm 0.95. Max magnification ratio is 0.4. Nice flare starting at f/2.8 and max at f/11. Tack sharp at f/2.8. Very nice color rendition.

• Thanks @stonebat. Any lens-specific tips on shooting with GH2? I'll play of course, and find what i like, but just wondered, in terms of picture profile set up etc...

• Smooth -2, -2, ?, -2. Saturation is really up to you. Use 0.95 only if needed. More shallow DOF is not automatically more artsy. Yea use a hood or a matte box. Most of all... get used to this particular focal length. It wasn't easy focal length to me.

• @jules congratulations!

@valpopando There is quite lot of vignetting, how does it come? Did you use the original lens hood? I can't belive it comes out of the lens, especially in the anamorphic crop.

• @stonebat if using a hood, is variND ok on after the lens hood? in the 'instructions' it suggests any filters be placed between lens and hood..

• I use a 77mm vari ND on the lens. Then use a dirt cheap collapsible rubber hood from ebay on it. Rotating hood will rotate the filter. The whole setup looks ugly but does the job.

• What started out as saving up for a 25mm Nokton 1 year ago turned into saving for the 17.5mm, and finally the dream came true. just 798,00 yen = about $900 at current exchange rate. Used but flawless inside and out with 4 months left on the warranty! I will be broke and eating ramen for months, but it will no longer feel like a compromise when I want to shoot wide.

Here is a simple review I put together today minutes after getting the lens delivered.

and the unboxing if anyone is into that sorta thing ;)

• @tetakpatak yes I used some vignetting filter in post , but also enhanced by two ND8 filter plus a polarizer !! ...anyway that lens does vignetting at f0,95!

• I got out of the house on a good day with my New Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 beauty. Here is my first real day of filming with this wondertastic lens. It definitely requires a re-learning curve for me, and I had a doh moment after I started dialing it in, realizing the great shots I could have had if only I caught on 10 minutes sooner. Still I am one happy camper. Please enjoy the Sexy Japanese Anime babes ;)

Here is the unsquashed vimeo version.

• Ok. Since I have a growing suspicion that there´s a bit of fluctuation of the quality of the lens - with people expressing radically different views of it´s usability wide open; I thought it would be good to bring this issue to the table, to see if there are factual differences or just different views of it´s performance.

I´ll post some samples shot wide open on the gh2 and a couple slightly stopped down for reference, feel free to do the same! (and comment if you have very different experiences from the lens behavior at similar apertures)

First shot: f0.95 - Focus set on the restaurant sign with focus assist. "ok" exposure. Second shot: f0.95 - Focus set on building / lights in the background. Intentionally over-exposed to show the potential for fringing. Third shot: f0.95 re-focused up close to get rid of fringing in previous shot. 4-6: 0.95, 1.4, 2.0 no exposure compensation directly into the street light.

Oh, I uploaded jpgs directly from the camera. Shutter 1/60

P1030963.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    P1030964.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    P1030965.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    P1030966.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    P1030967.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    P1030968.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • I found it has very little lens breathing which looks good to my eyes. Can you also confirm that?

• is there a hack setting that compliments the 17.5mm well, in peoples experience? I realize a lot depends on what you want to shoot when it comes to deciding which hack to use, but i just wondered if any of the hacks really make the intrinsic look/feel of this lens sing more than others?

(i know i can test myself, but i just never will have the time!)

• Since OOC color looks good, no hack works just fine. Or relatively low bitrate 30~50Mbps works fine, too. In fact shallow DOF shots don't really need high bitrates.

• @stilly congrats mate. Looks like a winner. Thanks for doing one of the hardest things in the world. Making a good independent movie.

• Two questions, 1st) what ND fader are people using with this lens? I want the best one possible, but kinda have to run out and get one tomorrow in anticipation of coming snow. 2nd) any particular Follow focus well suited for this lens that one could recommend on a budget which won't sacrifice performance of this lens, ie the ability to make very fine slow adjustments. I would like to keep the FF price under $150USD.

• Day 1 part two 17.5mm Voightlander on GH2

• @mee I use the heliopan variable ND. Works for me.. but it has to be said that there is no variable ND that doesn´t compromise the image somehow, in some situation. As for FF´s there are plenty of good options on here (look in the gear section). Don´t be too fuzzy about it. The voigt should work with most FF gears.

• How is with macro, is it same as 25mm version ?

• @RRRR Thanks for the tip, I do want a Variable ND eventually, but for now I went with a 58mm Marumi ND 8 Neo MC. It works for most situations. I will be getting a second soon for very bright days, as it actually doesn't seem have any vignetting when I stack two 58mm filters, and the Marumi's are very affordable in that size and available just up the street from me.

@feha, I have only just started playing around with extreme closeups, and don't have the 25mm for direct comparison of quality, but it does achieve sharp focus at about an inch and a half distance, which is simply amazing. I went in for a close up of a girls eye, and bumped her nose X D

• @feha

it's been said that the 17.5 is better, but it may just be peoples opinions. I had the 25mm for about a week then exchanged it for the 17.5. De clicked aperture. Now I won't hardly consider a lens that isn't de clicked. lol