Personal View site logo
REQ: Good explanation of how settings work
  • I know, this has been asked before, but I didn't find much after a few searches in the archives.

I'm sure that someone's written a good outline of how the patches work. Explaining what higher bitrates do. Explaining what matrices are, and how they affect the footage. Explanations of what "intraframe" means. Something that I can read, understand, and use that understanding to evaluate the patches. Does such an outline exist?

• 23 Replies sorted by
  • Delete.

The author of this thread has been here more than twice as long as I have.

• @RBD I don't need to know the stuff to the degree that Vitaly or Driftwood know it. But when I'm reading he threads on the various patches, I'd like to have a clearer idea of what's going on. (Especially since the usual response to questions about patches is "read the forums.")

Take the issue of matrices. The impression I get is that the GH2 uses a table of values to facilitate rapid calculations of the incoming data stream-- rather than perform calculations over and over to, say, compress the data,, the camera simply consults this table. And, that people have created different tables that lend themselves to better image quality. Now, I could be wrong, and I'd like to know how I'm wrong.

• I have to agree with Brian. I'm very new here and have been reading and reading and reading and I'm totally stumped. I get RBD's point too, I'd like to have enough information so that I feel semi confident that when I install a patch I'll be able to figure out what's working and what's not working and how to improve. I realize it will take time, and I don't know what the solution is as everyone here, who run and create the site and settings are rather brilliant. Maybe I'm missing something, is there a "Primer" with a glossary of terms anywhere? For example, I found what "spaning" was. But it took me a long time of reading about it without have a clue about what anyone was talking about. I hope I understand now, but I'm not sure. Okay, nose to the grindstone. More reading here. Thanks for the GREAT site! - jasantana. (Reading here IS like going back to college.)

• Delete.

The author of this thread has been here more than twice as long as I have.

• @Brian_Siano

You can browse all FAQ topics and also all forum topics considering AVCHD (you can use search on top).

• @Brian_Siano

One place to start is to go to the following folder and read the first few posts in each topic:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/categories/hack-top-settings

That should give you a quick impression of the most popular patches. When you come across an unfamiliar term, like "intra-frame" or "GOP", just whip out Google, combine the unknown word with the term "H.264", and you'll likely find some helpful links. For example, Googling "GOP H.264" will lead you here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

• I like this one , these are the basics

H264 codec and avcdhd introducing blurring and smearing color image. So for video (but not streaming) and post production of the video , highest bitrate in mjpeg mode is better in my opninon than h264 because you have more original information from sensor. This is in theory because in reality matter how the codec is implemented in the camera.

• Maybe we ought to have a thread where we draft up and refine a good FAQ on the subject. Here's a first stab at it, and obviously, changes, amendations, and clarifications are needed.

1. The Basic Overview

When video is recorded, it is usually compressed; otherwise, it'd require writing massive amounts of data to the memory card, which may not be large enough or fast enough to handle it. This requires the camera to perform some very intensive processing to compress the data, so that it can be written to the memory card.

Because this processing takes place during shooting, the camera has to do this very quickly. So the camera relies on shortcuts, which will be described later in in this FAQ. As a result, the camera uses "lossy" data compression, and the image and motion quality can be compromised. (For now, we recommend reading Wikipedia on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_coding#Video.)

Vitaly's hack enables users to reconfigure the way the camera encodes the video, in order to improve the quality of its recording images and motion.

This reconfiguration is complex, and sometimes, the settings may not work with each other. (For example, some patches with high image quality may have trouble recording acceptable sound, or "spanning" across multiple files. More about this below.)) So some users have spent a lot of time and effort experimenting with the settings, and they have developed "patches" with various strengths and weaknesses. These include the Sanity patch, the FlowMotion patch, and the many patches developed by Driftwood.)

New or less-techy users may find it daunting to read through Personal View's lengthy forum discussions, which can be very technical. This FAQ is intended to give such users a rough idea of what's going on.

1. Bit-Rate

(Need discussion here of what bit-rates mean in terms of video compression.)

1. Interframe and intraframe

These are two techniques by which video is compressed. The simpler technique is "intraframing." For each frame of video, the camera compresses it down in the same manner as a JPEG picture file. This can be very lossy, or even lossless, but it also requires a lot of processing work by the camera.

A more complicated method is "interframing." Here, the camera records an initial frame as a full photo. The camera then records the subsequent frames as only the changes that occur from the previous frame. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_coding#Video) for a discussion.) So the video file may consist of the initial Frame 1, and then data that contains only changes between Frame 1 and 2, then between frame 2 and 3, etc.

Since most frames aren't stored as full frames, but are calculated, this technique requires the camera to make a lot of calculations before writing the data to the memory card. It is also a lossy technique. It can be made less lossy by sampling full frames more frequently.

3a. Refinements to interframe Not written yet: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-frame#H.264_Inter_frame_prediction_improvements for now.

1. Matrices (Not written yet)
  • Okay, one question I have. Driftwood had the start of a good description of AVHCD and macroblocking at http://www.driftwoodproductions.co.uk/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start:guidetest. He discusses the use of prediction in macroblock compression.

My question is this. Where does compression come into the process? Doesn't the GH2 record the frames, and then compress the data when writing to the memory? Or does the GH2 actually try to "predict" frames, and correct that with more frequent image sampling?

• @dadix

"The Hidden Cost of H.264"

Irrelevant, unless you're concerned with the cost of network streaming H.264 video from a centralized server running on circa 2008 hardware.

• I think I just answered my question above. The "prediction" occurs when the image is read and uncompressed from the data file; the data for a pixel is read, and the algorithm "predicts" what the surrounding pixels would be in the uncompressed image. The video above named "MPEG2 vs H.264" illustrates this, both in the video and in a PDF file on the YouTube page. Does this sound about right?

• As a very beginner here, this is all very helpful. And, I'm finding LPowell's "Flowmotion" to be a beautiful choice for long take free form wide-angel intimate documentary shooting, that I'm testing for at the moment. Thank you to everyone.

• I have a second draft of what I'm hoping will be a very useful FAQ. Sorry about the cut-and-paste-from-Word formatting.

The Basic Overview

All moved to

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/hack-terms-faq

• @Brian_Siano

You can just make page on wiki, don't thing that forum post, especiall unformatted is so great place.

What do you think?

• I cleaned up the formatting a bit so it's easier on the eye. As for posting it here... this is mainly for review and correction. And I figured, if anyone's searching this site for info, they'll probably see this thread and read what we have. Is there a way for me to put this on your wiki?

• Check

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown on formatting.

As for Wiki, register on wiki and tell me your nick on it.

• Addition to my outline above: what bit rates really mean. DRAFT for comments.

Moved - http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/hack-terms-faq

• Okay, I've posted a full First Draft of this FAQ over at my Wordpress site:

http://briansiano.com/?page_id=340

If it's accurate, then if anyone comes in asking for an explanation of how the hacks and patches work. you can point them here.

• Great summary @Brian. @Vitaly could add it somewhere on top so newcomers with be informed before they start posting.

• @Brian_Siano

I put it into proper place. really, spend few seconds and register at wiki.

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/hack-terms-faq

• @Brian_Siano If you don't mind me spotting, I've seen a few "incorrections" :

"Earlier, we said that video could be stored as a series of full-resolution TIF files, but this would create far too much data. One way of compressing that data would be to store each frame not as a TIF file, but as a compressed JPEG. (As you may know, saving a TIF file as a JPEG makes a much smaller file.) This technique is called intraframing. " Intraframing isn't applying JPEG compression (as a matter of fact h.264 still compression is much more evolved than JPEG which is also used on MJPEG).

Intraframing as oposed to Interframing is encoding the frames independently of others frames. This is exclusively about exploring temporal redundancy, not about compression techniques.

"Every tenth frame will be a perfect, uncompressed frame—it’s called an I-frame (for “initial”). Your camera uses motion prediction to “predict” what the fourth and seventh frames will be from that I-frame. The fourth and seventh frames are called P-frames (for “predicted”) And the frames in between the P-frames—the B-frames, for “bi-directional”) are, in turn, “predicted” from the surrounding P-frames."

I-frames are indeed compressed. What you meant to say is that they are independent. I'm not sure on the GH2 implementation but it's possible for h.264 implementations where B-frames can be referenced to build other B-frames, thus invalidating that last sentence.

"The GOP Size is the number of frames between each P-frame. In our example above, that value would be 4.The GOP Length is the number of frames in the group—or the number of frames between I-frames. In our example, this value would be 10."

On GOP Size/Length: your definition is correct but from what I've seen around here (and pttools isn't conforming to that definition either) there is a misconception and it seems like both terms are used for the distance between two consecutive I-frames, which isn't correct. I suggest you remove the GOP Size reference or put most of the emphasis on GOP Length or re-educate the whole community. :)

"This does not always work. You can’t simply use Vitaly’s hack to specify a 100 mbps bit rate and the camera to work flawlessly. Your memory card may not be fast enough or large enough to handle a flood of uncompressed data." It's a large flow all right but all data that reaches the SD card is already compressed.

Gotta do some work now. Thanks for putting this up.

• Duartix: Thanks for the comments. I've got a newer draft in progress, but, a few points. One point I'll change is to state that all video data is compressed to some degree or another.

1) I mentioned the JPEG/TIF analogy for two reasons. The first is that it's a quick way to tell people "okay, intraframing is like taking each frame as a TIF and compressing it to a JPEG." Also, the JPEG/TIF analogy is what most people think of in terms of compressing images-- and to get it out of the way before talking about temporal compression techniques.

2) Will correct the bit about I-frames being compressed.

3) GOP size/length. I'm not sure how to resolve this, but maybe I should insert a sentence that says that "Generally, in the Personal View discussions, people use "GOP length" and "GOP size" to refer to the interval between I-frames. This may be confusing." I think we can get away with that, because the purpose of this FAQ is to give us non-techies a better sense of the hack-- but we don't have to give us a perfect understanding.

4) You're right. I should refer to this example as "barely compressed data" or "mildly compressed data."