Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @dustylense - >Gh3 hat eine fantastische Bild @ endotoxischen. Dieser Clip zeigt, dass:< - No!!! the video is muddy. . .

• Since there's no way of knowing what the colorist was trying to do -- deceive the viewer? -- or how consistently the clips were graded, it's impossible to know for sure, but the 2nd and 3rd clips both have the plastic skin tones and harsh highlight handling characteristic of HDSLRs generally.

The first clip is much more "filmic" and pleasing to look at it, whether that's the result of the grading, or the native footage.

1. BMC (more crop because of sensor design)
    2. GH3
    3. GH2
  • Gh3 has a fantastic image @ Endotoxic.
    This clip shows that:

• @zapatas for me first is sharpest @Nutt same choice !!

1. GH2 Intra -
    2. BMC -
    3. GH3
  • GH3 (not that grate image) BMC (better resolution) GH2 (bigger sensor higher contrast)

• Also, I see that the second is the sharpest.

• first is for me a "waou" effect. Even if may be second represents some thing more natural : look at the hair, I think there is narrow DR here.

First footage emphasizes the DR, greys look more white there...

• My opinion is that the 2nd is the best, then the 1st, then the 3rd. There is a clear difference on the sensor size of the first, so maybe this can change the opinion of someone and makes him have wrong thoughts. The right would be to have same picture area, at least by changing the distance, using of course the same lens for all, or else it is not fair.

• GH2 BMC GH3

based on detail, DR, colors :-) my preference: 1st shot, 2nd and last third. First is very nice footage. May be first is BMC. My wish is that first was gh2...

• Also, the banding in the second and last clip. Even in a compressed video the core of Blackmagic shines through. Tsk.

• @LIN3ARX

Haha I thought it was obvious from the first video. The others look really bad.

Also, I guess the super crushed image fools people? Way too crushed... and slightly too magenta.

Guess they're trying to match Blackmagic to the other two cameras or something... errr

• Okay it's pretty obvious now that the BMC is the first, no question there. What really threw me for a loop was the slightly crushed blacks in the hair... you should totally be able to see all kinds of stuff going on by the neck, but 2 and 3 are definitely GH cameras.

• I replaced the file with the version from the final presentation. NOW see what your impressions are. There will be 3 more tests like this in the final shootout. Each one with a grade like this which tries to balance everything out evenly, then the raw, and finally a grade where each cam is maximized to suit it's strengths. (that's where you'll really see the differences shine.)

• @kholi , totally thought you wrote "I'll toss a salad" lol, damn, I was like this guy is pretty serious about his camera observations. Lettuce see who is right in the coming days... : )

1. BMC
    2. GH3
    3. GH2

Based on the highlights and moire I think No. 3 is the GH2. While the hotspot on her nose is obvious in all three clips it progressively gets hotter with each clip. Also tiny parts of her forehead and cheek look to be close to blowing out in clip No.3. Also clip No.3 has the least moire in her hair. No.1 has the smoothest highlight rolloff which I suspect is the BMC. That leaves the GH3 at No.2.

• @shian , well now. Is it you putting together the footage or just a partner? So even you are guessing at which it could be as well?

This is really interesting then... you would think the BMC would kind of stick out like a sore thumb, even in a controlled lighting situation like this. You would normally see all kinds of detail in shadowy areas that should be a dead give away when put up against a GH camera. Guess I'll just have to wait and see on this one : )

• @L1N3ARX there is no 5D in that teaser, but there is a BMCC

• I'd actually be really surprised if the 1st was the BMC. My monitors are always set to pretty low contrast so I can spot noise and small details anywhere they might be hiding. I see noise that most people don't ever even see because they have their monitors calibrated "properly".

The first one, was definitely the one with the least DR, so I'm guessing the GH2... that or the curves were significantly adjusted to hide shadow detail. Look by the neck... the hair has no detail and is hidden in shadow... the other 2 cameras definitely picked up a good amount of detail in those same areas with the same lighting. If that was the BMC, the blacks were surely crushed to a certain extent.

That said, I doubt any one of these cameras were the BMC. Only 3 were shown anyway, and 2 really looked like GH footage. The second one, had that canon full frame look, so I'm gonna guess GH2, 5D, GH3... To make the BMC disappear among the other cameras in a shot like this, you'd seriously have to do some grading magic to dampen it's huge DR advantage.

Edit: Based on the framing as well, the first having the widest crop- assuming the cameras were more or less in the same position would lead me to believe that it was the GH2 sensor on that one. Third one looks the tightest... and *might be the BMC, but that would be kind of odd I think.

• Don't want to cheat but going by the screenshot of the setup and comparing framings seems to me 1: BMCC, 2:GH3, 3:GH2 unless he has been dastardly and changed them round.

• How about this: I'll put 20.00 into my paypal account, you put 20 into yours, and if that first camera was Blackmagic, you paypal me twenty and I'll buy a meal with it.

I'm thanking you in advance for the meal that I will enjoy.

GH2 and 3 are all well and good for the price, but nowhere near the base IQ of Blackmagic. Wishful thinking won't get it there, either.

• shian: "The results surprised us", go and buy a salad;-)