Personal View site logo
GH2, GH3, and LX7 resolution charts
  • GH3, GH2, and LX7 resolution test chart comparison

I haven’t been able to post much this weekend. However, I have been doing a ton of testing. Here are some resolution chart screen captures for the GH3, GH2, and LX7.

I have only included a few of the samples in this post. Honestly, some of them are just so close to others that it really isn’t necessary to post all of them here. For those of you who want to see all of them I have a link below that will allow you to download all of them at once in a .zip file. I will post the original video files to a downloadable Vimeo Account later today.

First off the GH2 and GH3 are very close in resolution and I haven’t been able to detect moire in either of them. They both can exhibit very slight aliasing but only with test charts and not in real world situations.

Whatever moire we saw in pre-production models is not existent in my NTSC GH3.

I included the GH2 1080p @ 24 FPS(Mildly hacked) image here because increasing the bit rate does nothing for resolution of a static image like this. I also included the 1080p @ 60 FPS, 1080p @ 24 FPS All I, 1080p @ 24 FPS regular, 1080i and 720p @ 60 FPS AVC-HD images here. In addition I have charts from -5 sharpness through +5 for the GH3. However, you have to download the .zip file to see those.

All of the GH3’s 1080p settings are very similar except for the ones that are derived from 1080i(ie: 1080i/60 and 1080p @ 30 FPS). The 1080i derived ones show much more aliasing.

Take a look at the GH3 1080p @ 24 FPS AVC-HD and compare it to the 1080p @ 24 FPS all I. The files are almost identical. Again for static scenes the bit rate does not matter and it won’t affect resolution.

I personally like the 1080p @ 60 FPS mode the best. It is absolutely wonderful to have the flexibility to record 1080p @ 60 FPS and play real time or switch to slow motion without having to make that decision beforehand.

I have settled on +2 sharpness for my liking. I am sure yours will vary from that depending on how much you want to edit it. It appears that -2 or -3 sharpness is closest to an unsharpened RAW image. Therefore, shooting with a -5 sharpness and applying in post might not actually be beneficial.

It was too much trouble to post all of those images here so you have to download the zip file if you want to see the sharpness settings. All of the test images are shot with Standard Color mode 0 Contrast, 0 Color, lowest Noise Reduction at ISO 200, with the 35-100mm lens @ 35mm F3.2.

What I found most interesting is how the LX7 did. Don’t get me wrong it isn’t even close to the GH2 or the GH3. However, this is a $300 camera (When I bought it) and it shoots VERY GOOD 1080p @ 60 FPS video. The 720p @ 120 FPS is not good because of severe aliasing. However, it is much better than the 720p @ 120 FPS of my GoPro 3 Black.

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Download link for all of the original images.

http://twills.fatcow.com/Share/GH3%20Resolution/

• Judging by the 30fps vs 120fps, I would bet the issue with the LX7 @ 120fps isn't aliasing but skipping.

Aliasing is the least of the troubles. The 120fps mode has enough issues with moiré and resolution loss. It's looks like a pretty good showcase of what you can expect from a binned vs unbinned image.

• @duartix

Isn't aliasing a symptom of skipping? Whatever it is I don't like it. Everyone is complaining about the GH3 moire. Just look at the moire in that 120 FPS 720p image. That is bad moire.

• It is. But from my perspective it is the least of them. Oddly, now that i look closer, the 120fps seems to have less aliasing (in the form os stairstepping) but as you noticed it falls apart with color moiré and detail loss. I had a celular phone that had a 120fps video mode. For the same reasons is was useless.

• @duartix

1080p @ 60 FPS is outstanding for slow motion on the GH3 though. I just love that mode on the GH3. If only ETC worked with it it would be perfect.

• It looks great. Thanks for the test. Overall the moire seems non-issue. GH3's 1080p60 resolves more than GH2's 720p60. Nice.

• mpgxsvcd you're a hero. This is damn useful, and you're right about the LX7. I bought one for my "non-technical" wife and she's getting excellent results with it. Just a small bit of constructive advice: if you get another chance to do this, add a second light so you can even out the illumination and raise the exposure. (that chart should be rendered with higher contrast) You'll also find it easier to avoid hotspots like that rascal in the top left. Great effort and thanks!

• @sherwood

You are absolutely right. I almost didn't post these because I knew they were unexposed. However, the camera was indicating proper exposure all around. In any event they still show what the resolution is like for these cameras.

I have been super busy this past weekend so I didn't get to post the real review I wanted to do. It might take me a couple of days but you guys will really want to see this one. I have figured out a ton of stuff that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The only ways to accurately describe it are with a video so look for that coming soon.

Let me just say that if you are into stills at all then the GH3 is like a completely different camera than the GH2. I actually would rather take indoor stills with the LX7 than use a kit lens with the GH2. However, the GH3 with pretty much any lens will work great in any conditions.

• Did the pictures in the first post disappear for everyone else as well?

And they are back now. Strange.

• No they're not! And you are being mean to the GH2. ;)

• @duartix

If this post is mean then my next post will blow the GH2 up. :O

Got some great read noise data that I am trying to post.

• Spit it out!

Pretty please? :)

• Sorry I am trying. I prepped the video I am doing yesterday but we had to take friend to the emergency room yesterday so I haven't been able to edit it yet.

I have to keep score at my son's climbing comp for the next 2 days but I will try to get everything up this week.

Lot's of good stuff. Not enough time to say it.

• @mpgxsvcd thank you mate, such a work....I know how much time such test needs and how difficult is it to do beside real work. And finally such test with the same lens (GH2&3) bravo!

• @mpgxsvcd Friemds and family first! thanks for all your work, :)