Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 3D Rig up and running
  • Here's an early test of the GH2 on a 3D rig:

The quality of the motion coding in the latest series of patches for the GH2 (especially Driftwood's GOP3 132M AQ2) is fantastic for 3D - where motion coding fidelity is critically important. I'm pretty sure the GH2 is going to make a hell-of-a 3D camera.

By the way - this is straight out of the rig without color correction - you can see the tint from the beamsplitter mirror reflection side.
  • 11 Replies sorted by
  • You look like a genius ...greaat job!
  • Thanks, Bubba... but... it's a LOT easier to slap 2 cameras together with a controller than it is to figure all this firmware and encoder patch work out. My hat is off in salute to Vitaliy, cbrandin, LPowell, Driftwood and the other patch workers who are real geniuses.
  • Wow! Do you have any shots of the rig you're using? It would be great if you would share your thoughts on how the rig works. It's tough to find stereography "how-to" stuff out there. I've got 2 GH1s and I've been looking hard at that rig Vitaliy posted a while ago. Your insights would be greatly appreciated.
  • Flinchmonkey,

There is actually a wealth of information regarding using GH1 and GH2 for stereo - more so that any other DSLR. We've been operating in the same open, cooperative spirit as the hack itself (seems only proper). Most GH3D'ers hang out and share info at: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/3d

As for the mirror rigs that I use, I've recently been lucky enough to consult on the development of a new rig (the Aquavideo AERO - see http://www.aquavideo.com/). This rig is ideal for DSLR projects. The all-up weight with GH2s is 15 lbs, which is light enough to shoulder mount or put on a small steadycam. Aquavideo will post more information for GH3D'ers soon.

A number of GH3D'ers have built their own mirror boxes - which is relatively straightforward.

The other critical piece of gear is the sync controller. I've used the most simple mechanical switch-based controller for over a year without any problems. The diagram for my dirt-simple controller can be found here in the 3D section. I do know that at least one company is building a microprocessor sync controller for GH1/2 that they intend to sell. It's a fancy piece of gear that can do time lapse stereo photography as well. I'll post the info on that when they let the cat out of the bag.
  • The 3D looks fantastic.
  • Thanks for helping me get my head out of the sand. What a fantastic 3-d collaboration thread everyone has going on at DVX. I'm going to give your sync controller design a try. Thanks for the great info and footage.
  • Hi Guys,...

What sort of sync are we talking about? I suppose that there is no black magic to allow some sort of frame accurate sync yet??? (what about the Canon solution?- take a photo with both cameras at the same time?)

Cheers,
    A
  • GH1/2 sync is better than the Canon, "release shutter to sync" trick. Canon cameras poll the remote port - so - the sync signal is subject to the polling of the two cameras. In the case of GH1's and 2's, each camera powers on at the same time. I've exhaustively tested two GH1s with MANUAL lenses using the power-up sync technique and found consistently less than .02 ms of offset at the beginning of each test run and seldom more than .1 ms after 5 min. My cameras are very close in serial number - which may help when it comes to drift over time. Your mileage may vary.
  • @David_Cole

Thanks for the info! It seems that .02<->.1ms is not that bad at all!

Can you post the diagram for the sync (dual switch) for power of the GH1/2? Here? Cheers, Alex

• Here's a simple diagram here that shows a basic, mechanically switched sync "controller". This device DOES work well with GH1/2s and manual lenses, but, may not be the ideal solution. One of its biggest faults is that the manual switches may "bounce" when closed which can cause sync problems. It does work for me. Your milage may vary! Builder beware!

Usage is simple:

1) turn GH1/2s on (with controller power off)

2) switch controller power on

3) press "shutter release" - cameras will begin recording

4) at end of take, press "shutter release" to stop recording

5) power both cameras off using the GH1/2 power switches (not the controller power)

fe1f6402c7de07affc9546ca4dcf2e-1.jpg
    720 x 540 - 53K
  • @David_Cole and @others

Can the cheap intervalometers be set to do a one frame timelapse? And if they can be (I haven't gotten around to getting one) would that if you did a Y-split of the 4 pole function as a synchronised start when the camera is in movie mode? Or have I missed a point completely?

And is that the same type of switch replacement for circuitry youd need?

Kevin