Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sigma DP Quattro, strange camera
  • 76 Replies sorted by

Sigma continue to take a solitary path with the new DP2 Quattro, remaining the only camera manufacturer to use the Foveon sensor technology. Despite some improvements to the processing speed, the Sigma DP2 Quattro is still a rather slow camera that's really only suited to static or slow-moving subjects, while the rather radical new design favours image quality over usability.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_dp2_quattro_review/

gh4_17.jpg
    800 x 542 - 73K
  • Sigma dp2 Quattro Firmware 1.01

• It has corrected the phenomenon that details of subjects that have both similar color tones and contrast difference will be lost when images are recorded in JPEG format.

• It has reduced the longitudinal noise that appears occasionally when changing each adjustment value in the image correction process substantially during the development of RAW files in SIGMA Photo Pro Ver.6.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/cameras/firmware/

It’s perfect camera for shooting food and models.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/08/28/review-sigma-dp2-quattro/

ibelux2.jpg
    800 x 576 - 102K
  • I have used hundreds of different cameras in my career. Some I have liked and some not so much. But, never have I had a camera that I was so uncomfortable with not to mention so frustrated with as I have been with this camera. I really wanted to like this camera. I tried real hard to like this camera. Sigma made a bold move with this camera by not only introducing a radical design with no thought to human ergonomics, but also by putting a Foveon Chip into it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp2_review.shtml

• I've seen a few of these reviews now - and I don't know which Foveon Photo Pro 6 software they're referring to - but Photo Pro 5.x series has always been lightning fast and close to the best RAW processor I use.

The Foveon RAW files are not recognized by the Mac finder so you cannot see previews of files in any folder in the finder.

• As for previewing, I don't use Macs often, but even in Linux under Wine, Photo Pro will display an SD cardful of RAW X3F files perfectly as thumbnails. (See attached).

• As for workflow gripes, well it's a Foveon camera, Dammit!. You get your occasionally brilliant, prize-winner photo along with a slower write-time. To complain about the Sigma cameras being quirky is like moving to Chinatown and then complaining about the smell of fried noodles!

Good things come to those who wait - and - in the case of fixed-lens cameras - walk to where the picture is, and be prepared to take time.

Not a camera for the lazy. Not a camera to do a burst-mode. Not the camera to keep in your bag as your only camera.

Then, there are those who don't get it. (The Foveon look, that is). So these cameras are not for them, either. Some people don't seem to recognise which subject or scene is worth photographing. Or later at home, when sorting through their pics they again cannot spot the good ones. (Even on Sigma galleries, I often see selections of photos which are pretty ordinary). But I understand how hard it can be. It's hard for me, too, with Foveon.

I try to stay alert to scenes which will work well in Foveon, walk to the right spot - and then move all over the place to compose and finally shoot (rarely at eye-level). Then I work hard in Photo Pro to work out which pics are worth spending more time getting right, and only after a bit of tweaking am I sure which among them are any good. So far, only one in 4 is worth keeping and maybe 1 in 50 is brilliant (meaning the "Foveon Look," with the micro-detail and hyper-reality I'm hooked on.

With the Quattro series, I don't expect much improvement in work-flow or success ratio until the yet-to-be-released Dp1 Quattro (a wider lens is more versatile). And hopefully the prices will come down - again.

SigmaPhotoPro.png
    1268 x 657 - 577K
    PhotoProInAction.png
    1269 x 668 - 670K
  • I don't understand how a big company like Sigma cannot make raw workable. Pros can't sit around for hours waiting for things to render in the photo world.

• @DrDave Said:

I don't understand how a big company like Sigma cannot make raw workable.

Sigma Announced on August 27:

SIGMA Photo Pro 6.1 can be used for RAW data (X3F file) taken with all SIGMA cameras. We were planning to announce its availability within August. However, since we are currently ensuring the improvement of SIGMA Photo Pro 6.0 by releasing updates with first priority, for the development of SIGMA Photo Pro 6.1 we require more time than initially expected.

Under such circumstance, we would like to inform that the release of SIGMA Photo Pro 6.1 is rescheduled for October. For everyone who has been looking forward to SIGMA Photo Pro 6.1, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but highly appreciate your kind understanding and patience.

For those who have RAW data (X3F file) taken with SIGMA cameras other than the SIGMA dp2 Quattro, Merrill series and SIGMA SD1, please continue using the conventional SIGMA Photo Pro 5.5.3.

• I understand that they may eventually release various updates, but the software is slow and cumbersome. I would buy a cam like that for the IQ, but I don't have the patience for glacial processing.

• Since the first DP2 series came out, I have fallen in love with the Foveon sensor, but I hate using the OVF for portraiture. I see the The DP1 Quattro has a external LCD loop in a product picture and I am guessing it can be used with other Quattro cameras. Looks interesting but this does not look like a good replacement for an proper EVF. When will Sigma build a camera with a built in EVF? I am also wondering when they will build a FF camera with the delicious Foveon sensor. I keep waiting and they keep putting out these knuckle sandwiched cameras with no EVFs. They have quality FF lenses now so what's with the wait. Seems like it may happen someday, but I told myself I cannot buy another Sigma camera until built in EVFs in bodies are made. I hate you Sigma for making me wait.

• software is slow and cumbersome.

Like Sigma just hinted at, last release version of Photo Pro 6 was buggy and is to be avoided. Wait a month.

• I just want open it in PS or DxO, but if the update is fully threaded and works well that's certainly something I can live with.

• SIGMA dp2 Quattro Firmware Ver.1.03

• It has added the function to develop RAW data (X3F files) on the camera internally.
    • It has corrected the phenomenon that file numbers occasionally reset when they are set to be consecutive numbers.
    • It has corrected the phenomenon that the camera freezes when playing JPEG files developed by SIGMA Photo Pro.
    • It has added the function to display RAW data (X3F files) photographed by other SIGMA digital cameras.
    • It excludes RAW data (X3F files) of SIGMA SD9 and SD10.

http://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/cameras/firmware/

• Always liked the look of the Foveon. It's a pity that they aren't able to make it a fast sensor for video.

Here's some fashion Foveon shots I did a while ago

innen.jpg
    2480 x 1748 - 1M
    Titel.jpg
    2480 x 1748 - 1M

Despite some improvements to the processing speed, the Sigma DP1 Quattro is still a rather slow camera that's really only suited to static or slow-moving subjects, while the rather radical new design favours image quality over usability

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_dp1_quattro_review/

rose71.jpg
    607 x 548 - 58K

The Sigma DP1 Quattro is certainly a unique camera - in looks, features and output, it does things differently to any other camera I've tested. It sports an unusual body shape that attracts attention amongst photographers, yet actually becomes surprisingly anonymous when you're shooting on the street.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sigma_DP1_Quattro/

came-8000-9.jpg
    800 x 543 - 42K

The DP2 Quattro is another digital camera that can make you slow down and a very good one actually. Its slow in-camera processing, its slow proprietary software, its limited battery life and other minor aspects are all points that will make you think twice before taking a picture. You don’t want to bring home too many RAW files that slow your post-processing, and you also don’t want to take too many photos and have no battery life left when you could end up taking your best shot at sunset for example. You have to think more and decide if what you see is worth taking or passing on. You will need a tripod because of the amount of detail and the limited stabilisation capabilities of the camera.

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/2014/12/08/slowing-down-and-appreciating-image-quality-the-sigma-dp2-quattro-complete-review/

premium3.jpg
    800 x 534 - 118K