Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @karl Nice pic & thanks for the tip, I'll give RawTherapee a try with some high ISO stuff. Update No luck with Raw Therapee. It's showing an odd magenta color cast when the file is loaded. I tried loading your .pp3 profile and it flipped it to a blue cast with burnt highlights. Not sure why it doesn't like my files :)

• Good news: The free RAW conversion software RawTherapee now supports GH4 raw image files, too.

I downloaded the patch attached to this posting, applied it to the current source code from the repository, and tested with this sample GH4 raw image file, for which the camera is said to have produced this JPEG file.

Using RawTherapee, I came to the folliowing result (which IMHO looks less over-saturated than the JPEG from the camera):

You can download the .pp3 file with the conversion parameters I used (you can read this file as a text or load it as a profile into RawTherapee).

I am very pleased with the result so far, even though the picture was probably not ideal for testing, would have liked to have a better one for testing.

• GH2 availability was terrible for at least three if not more months.

• I was not on the pre-order list and got 2 of them only a couple of weeks after release. Same story with the GH2s. Hope that continues to be true for the rest of ya.

It mostly tells about your luck, not Panasonic efforts as I know about situation in detail.

• Did you guys have issues getting your GH3s? I was not on the pre-order list and got 2 of them only a couple of weeks after release. Same story with the GH2s. Hope that continues to be true for the rest of ya.

• Panasonic has a good track record as far as Production.

Not in the case of GH cameras. It really require no time to check it.

• I think availability will be fine. Panasonic has a good track record as far as Production. They ain't Blackmagic.

• @MikeLinn that GH3/4/BMPCC comparison link is interesting. I'm surprised how much better the GH4 held the highlights versus the GH3.

• I overheard, orders for GH4 are apparently 5 for every 1 they can currently make - they can't make enough of them! So get your order in quick or you could be waiting.

Looking at our orders for now it seems so, but we still have few thanks to big first batch.

Plus it is GH camera, they always had such karma.

• I overheard, orders for GH4 are apparently 5 for every 1 they can currently make - they can't make enough of them! So get your order in quick or you could be waiting.

• @maddog The manuals are now up on Panasonic HomePage Here is The link I used http://panasonic.eu/Downloads/sv_SE/popup.html

• @maddog15 @v10tdi pulled the manual out and posted it apr 20 in this thread.

I pulled the advanced GH4 Owner's Manual off the disk and posted it to Dropbox for your reading pleasure.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46223003/DMCGH4AdvancedGuideUSA.pdf

• I use these HDMI cables for my workstation, appleTV, etc , have a micro one I use for my field monitor as well.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin/Worlds-Thinnest-Most-Compact-Flexible-HDMI-Cable/

• @SuperSet Ok. Great, thanks for the reply.

• @maddog15 I just tried the 200Mbs mode and it worked fine until around 90s or so. I didn't get an error but the red SD card indicator started blinking on the screen. I don't know if that means if it was dropping frames or what not since the footage looked fine to my eyes later on.

• Anyone have the GH4 user manual PDF to share? (Advanced version like the GH3?)

• @SuperSet Hey, thanks for the reply. How bout the All-Intra 200Mbs mode? (fingers crossed) I have 3 of the 64GB 95Mbs cards from when I hacked my GH2 and I'm hoping that's all I'll need for any of the GH4's video modes.

Thank you again.

• @maddog15 I'm using a Sandisk Class 10 45MB/s card in both 4K and 1080/100 and it's been working fine.

• I been watching this thread and I have to admit I am excited. Had planned on selling my GH3 as I was never really "wowed" by it's video performance. Just needed a little more cash for the GH4 - had a guy ask about it and buy it today! Placed my order for a GH4. The posts look promising. I've never bought a camera upon it's release without waiting for the consumer masses to find everything that should've been addressed before the release. From what I've read here am I correct in assuming all the GH4 video modes work with the 64GB 95Mbs card? Or do I absolutely need to bite the bullet and get the $245 SanDisk - PRO SDXC UHS-II Memory Card???

Thanks in advance.

• That doesn't surprise me about Panasonic selling the cable. I was on the phone with them and they swore up and down they didnt

Yes , the 90 angle is kinda necessary , and can be difficult to locate.

Thanks for the help :)

• @khill: Micro HDMI cables are not really difficult to find - your only unusual wish is that for the 90° angle - maybe this adapter would fit your needs.

Ah, and by the way: Panasonic does sell Micro HDMI cables - but ridiculously overpriced.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev @mpgxsvcd,

...feeling much better now

thank you

• Oh well, my Amex monthly closing date is the 27th so I will have an extra month to pay for my GH4 from B&H.