Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What is the best type of monitor to watch videos
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy

Open any serious monitors/TV tests and check response times measured for all colors/shades.

Here are typical reviews of modern LCD TVs with motion improvement features.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40f6400-201305042929.htm

When it came to motion processing... ...the F6400 still managed to return 1080 lines from the horizontally scrolling chart in the FPD Benchmark test disc (up from 300 if [Motion Plus] was disabled), providing a welcome boost to the clarity of moving objects in fast-action sports content such as football.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/philips-46pfl9707-201304042732.htm

The 46in 9707 manages to cleanly draw up to about 350 lines of motion natively. This raises to a full 1080 with [Perfect Natural Motion] enabled on any setting (even the lowest).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue55f8000-201303212755.htm?page=Performance

As with previous Samsung LED LCDs, the Samsung UE55F8000 can show all 1080 lines in a scrolling resolution test chart, provided that the [Motion Plus] system is engaged. With this feature off, you’ll see the usual LCD motion performance, which delivers just 300 lines worth of clear details. That’s enough for 24fps movies to appear without much in the way of discernable blur, but fast, high motion content like televised sports will still appear with some

This motion test is made visually by looking horizontal panning bars with eyes.

So LCD visual motion resolution:

-1080 lines with motion improvement feature

-300 lines without motion improvement feature

Almost every Plasma TVs show 1080 lines too in theirs tests.

CONCLUSION ABOUT USING LCD COMPUTER MONITOR:

It is hard to see any motion related IQ things like benefits of sharp motion with 60P, artefacts, etc. For example it is hard to see superiority of GH3 MOV artefact free motion rendering because it is impossible to even see artefacts with AVCHD with 300lines of resolution. It is also not optimal to watch hand held videos because every little movement of camera drops resolution to 300lines. It is not so big issue with 24P because motion is very soft anyway but people cant figure why it is better to shoot 60P because they dont see better sharpness in motion, only smoother motion. Videos are so best to watch with a modern TV set.

• @Vesku

I think we already have separate topic that you made. You also did not understand that kind of test I talked about.

• Vesku,

Reading this thread, and other similar threads on P-view, and other similar threads on dpreview - I can't determine a) what question you are REALLY asking and b) what ultimate answer to image quality you're truly looking for.

You keep asking questions about plasma televisions, and LCD monitors, and camera hacks, and so on and so on. You seem to not do much editing nor color correction, and use video application-specific settings (such as level clamp removals) to attain the result you wish to have - so that you can shoot hours of footage, and playback direct-to-screen... and yet the forums you visit are mostly populated by people who are not normally that sort of user. Their answers to your questions are generally not what you're wanting, because it's usually this: "technique X is better because of post operation Z", and you respond "well, I don't do anything in post".

At times it seems that many of your questions are better suited to a forum for television enthusiasts, than content creators...

To put in another way: I play drums. In drummer forums, we spent lots of time discussing equipment, technique, inspiration. We don't spend much time at all discussing LP vs Cassette vs CD, which one sounds best for recreating a particular Neil Peart beat. For those things, there are audiophile forums on other websites.

I'm left to wonder, as I said in the beginning - what ultimate knowledge are you seeking, exactly? Are you wondering which camera to purchase, which setting to use, or which television to purchase - or something else entirely? Or are you just sort of bored, and posting questions for the sake of starting some random discussion?

I'm not trying to be rude. If it's just boredom, that's fine (i guess), but I think a lot of respondants (here and elsewhere) are starting to tire of the same vague question ad infinitum. If you're after some more specific knowledge... perhaps it's time to target that question, and then move on to some other video-related interest.

• @thorn

Thanks for your points. I am maybe in wrong forum with my ideas but where is the right discussion for me. Many people here are obviously concentrating to film making. I am interested in shooting and watching as realistic as possible. This seems not to be a goal for many. Here also seems to be more emotional look at things than technical.

I use video same ways as photos, I shoot and watch. In photographic forums they discuss every little aspects of photography like shutter shocks but nobody usually talks about content creating. Why it must always be related with film making in video communities. For me a video camera is not an artistic tool, it is for documenting memories. In this site cameras are mostly consumer models and I thought that consumer style of shooting is ok too to discuss. I dont like 24P because it is difficult to watch if not shooted very carefully and professionally with lots of extra gear.

Very few talks about viewing photos and videos. Some watch 36Mpixel photos with Pads and laptops. I try to concentrate the whole chain of viewing experience. For me it is pointless to have the best camera in the world if I cant see properly photos and videos it creates. That is the reason why I wait 4K too. With a good display pocket camera photos looks betters than DSRL photos with a poor display.

I own 3 Panasonic cameras and this is maybe the best place to get information of optimal settings and use. If I shoot sports or rapid moving events I cant get much help here to obtain best overal viewing experience. In my mind too many are stucked with 24P and old rules and if suggesting anything else it seems to be bad. I try to be more careful in the future with my opinions and findings.

• http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_reference_monitor

The station tech I know is still on holidays. When he gets back I'll ask him what he thinks of all this.

• A very good motion test. Can you see panning photos sharply with your monitor.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&photo=eiffel.jpg&pps=960&pursuit=0&height=0

In my computer monitor image blurs badly.

In my modern TV I can see all the details at every speed.