Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
50mm F1.4 Sigma ART
  • 67 Replies sorted by
  • @Leto

I am sad to upset you, but even famous old Varavon lenses were advertised as designed on computers :-)

It is not the design mostly, it cheaper and better glass, better equipment that allow to get repeatable results with tiny tolerances.

• Sigma said when the 18-35 came out that there was a new era of computer design in lenses on the horizon and it makes sense. I think they invented some software to improve the lens design process and are planning to kick a lot of ass in the coming years until others catch up.

Aren't they also the only ones still manufacturing in Japan? Makes sense they would shoot for the high end.

Sigma’s 50mm f1.4 Art DG HSM is an exceptional lens. Starting with the design, it very much is in line with the company’s 35mm f1.4 Art optic. The outside feels and looks like something that Hasselblad might make. It feels just so great in your hands that you’d never want to let it go. In fact, if you’re a big fan of the 50mm field of view you might never want to give it up.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/04/12/review-sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-usm-art/

feb_sales59.jpg
    800 x 445 - 94K
    feb_sales60.jpg
    800 x 551 - 61K
  • @ahbleza touché ,-)
    They corrected that (50% inflat), now at $949
    If bokeh half as good as otus, I really can't see a reason to buy nikon noct or even otus itself.

• That price is much better than the Australian pre-order price.

• Those are difficult to believe numbers, brute resolve power!! A working class (m)otus?
    @tetakpatak I'm happy that the once commonly regarded as cheap peeling company is showing sharpest teeth.
    {LaFontaine, please} They've been (t)rained, now, they're are going to deliver some sweet /mother/ fucking mushrooms to you, watch out for the release of... The return of the optical wizard
    - Motomichi what do you want to be when you grow up?
    - I want to be optical wizzard!!! {speedy street razor music mixed with lysergic unicorns on spiral math formulas}

sigmtf.jpg
    1161 x 486 - 181K
  • How does it come, that now suddenly such awsome performing lenses by open aperture get released like mushroms after the rain? The optical wizzards have been exploring this since long time.

• OK, here is the first in-depth credible review I've seen for this lens. The verdict: it's every bit as good as expected.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/04/sigma-50mm-f-1.4-art-lens-review-yes-it-really-is-that-good http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1677/cat/30

Conclusion

The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art is the most exciting lens we're likely to review this year. All competing lenses from Canon and Nikon fell short when compared to the resolving power of the 50mm Art. We haven't (yet) tested the very best from Zeiss, but we are confident Sigma will trounce it in one key area: price. This difference is likely to be a yawning chasm. Our expectation for pricing on this lens is for something at least a bit less than Canon's 50mm f/1.2 L, which goes for $1,700; despite a variety of rumors and no official price for the Sigma yet, we're expecting it'll be less than that..

Even if the price is 'merely' even with the best of Canon and Nikon, this lens is easy to recommend. Put simply: it trounces any similar model available for less than $4,000. If it comes in significantly cheaper than the best of Canon and Nikon, Sigma will have made a friend of every full-frame shooter in the land.

• It's really incredible the thirst for... "news". I find those very poor proofs of anything, yet there are featured everywhere as god's commandments. @ahbleza This has nothing to do with you buddy, it's just me rumbling, I also want Sigma to keep up with their excellent work ,-)

• Some tests for the 50mm Art...

http://photorumors.com/2014/02/27/first-sigma-50mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-art-lens-test/

Sigma already said that the performance of their new 50mm Art lens should be very close to the $4,000 Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus Distagon T*.

• That is an absurd amount of money for that lens!

Sigma-50mm.jpg
    1053 x 843 - 167K
  • One key difference between the 50mm Art (and its 35mm brother lens) and the 18-35mm zoom is that the latter covers only APS-C, while the former is full frame.

• Yes please. :)

• And more information on the 50mm Art. It's now seriously inviting comparison with the Zeiss 50mm.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/08/sigma-50mm-f-1.4-art-targets-zeiss-otus-ignores-canon-l-nikon-glass

"But the most impressive information we gleaned? When discussing their goals of image quality and sharpness for the lens, Sigma mentioned they're confident they'll surpass competitive products from Canon and Nikon and are instead gunning for Zeiss's new 55mm Otus lens. It's a serious claim. The Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus lens -- with its $4000 price tag -- is squarely aimed at high-end professional shooting such as fashion, advertising and editorial work. "