Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony FDR-AX100, 4K camcorder for the masses
  • Specs:

• 1" 20Mp BSI CMOS sensor
    • Full sensor readout like RX10
    • 14.2M pixels used in video
    • Built-in ND filters (3 steps - 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64 ND)
    • 12x F2.8-F4.5 zoom, 29-348mm
    • 4k24p and 4k30p with XAVC S encoding.
    • Video modes : XAVC-S 4K : 3840×2160/30P, 24P; XAVC-S HD : 1920×1080/60P, 30P, 24P;AVCHD:1920×1080/60p(PS),24p(FX,FH),60i(FX,FH), 1440×1080/60i(HQ,LP); MP4: 1280×720 30p
    • 120FPS slo-mo
    • OLED EVF
    • Wi-Fi
    • price below $2000
    • Available in March

Preorders:

xa40.jpg
    800 x 465 - 67K
    xa41.jpg
    492 x 259 - 24K
    xa42.jpg
    501 x 406 - 33K
    xa43.jpg
    518 x 344 - 29K
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • Does anyone know if there is a workaround to use focus tracking or face tracking and not use auto white balance? This seems so ridiculous I'm hoping there is a workaround. @Markr041 ?

• Yep--I will look and see if I have a 4 amp somewhere...maybe it has to be Sony.

• Does anyone know how to power the ax100 with a micro USB power bank or USB adapter? I have had zero luck.

Did you checked if adapters have enough juice? I mean 2A and higher?

• Does anyone know how to power the ax100 with a micro USB power bank or USB adapter? I have had zero luck.

• AX100 and DVX200 comparison

• @DrDave if nothing else it sure is nice not having a lot of weight, articulating arms or monitors while chasing after video subjects. [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zQa54zG.jpg[/IMG]

• I'm getting a pretty consistent 104mb when I look at the stats .

• @DrDave...I'm using this card and so far it's preformed flawlessly. Looks like they may have upped their quality. Transcend 64 GB High Speed 10 UHS-3 Flash Memory Card 95/60 MB/s (TS64GSDU3)

I can't see any difference out of the camera but it does seem to have more detail in post. It's really hard to tell because it needs so little in post. Auto focus seems better. I've been so mesmerized by the 4k, I haven't used the HD yet. I'm going to wring that out today since I need 60 fps. That would be number 1 on my wish list, 4k 60.

• @peternap man that was a royal pain. Don't drop it.

Are you using a regular SDXC for 100mb? Do you see any difference?

• I didn't even have to put my glasses on for that one Vitaliy. I flat love the camera. It doesn't do everything but that's why I have more than one camera. Can't say much for Sony...but that's another story.

Just to finish up the warranty tale, I got it back in perfect working order for $503.50 which Square Trade paid. They DIDN'T upgrade the firmware though. They did replace the USB cable which I suspect caused the problem in the first place.

I took a deep breath and flashed the camera which went fine.

I'm using a Transcend card which handles the 100mb without any problems.

• Hopefully this is the last update. Apparently they lied to Sony about having the parts. Sony is who told B&H they were in. On Tuesday I'd had enough and found a human at precision and blasted them. I was preparing a complaint to the better business Bureau and the state attorney general. Again a miricle occurred and the parts just came in. Today their website shows its shipped although the tracking hasn't shown up yet. No mention of what they hit my card for yet. When I get that amount the second warranty says they'll pay it.

I'm skeptical but maybe without a fight. So 3 months and between 400.00 and 500.00 to upgrade the firmware. I don't care what Sony develops in the future....I ain't buying one.

• Well holy cow...maybe make a video about your repair experience haha. YouTube.

• After a month I started calling, no answer, never ending hold times with no answer and one hang up,

I think it is good idea to call consumer oriented organizations as well as some government guys if it is so slow.

Also, remember to make and send good long email and fax to Sony branch in your country.

Btw, degradation of service is common for all brands and caused by "effective management" :-)

NIkon pro services PR for Canada:

The Canadian market is ever evolving and Nikon Canada continues to adapt in order to maintain our leadership position. In response to market changes, we will soon move to a centralized model for servicing our customers’ warranty and repair needs.

The key element of this change is the closure of our service depots in Richmond, British Columbia, and Montréal, Québec. Going forward, all customer service will be centralized out of our Head Office in Mississauga, Ontario.

• Well, at least B&H is on the ball.

• @DrDave Just an update on the AX100. I didn't think it possible to find worse repair service than Panasonic, but after sending the camera to Sony's repair people, Precision Camera Repair, I have. First they lost it, never answered the phone or responded to emails, then after calling Sony and using enough profanity they understood I was unhappy, they contacted Precision who just happened to find the camera that day. Then after requiring a CC Payment of $500.00+ dollars for the warranty repair, had to order parts. After a month I started calling, no answer, never ending hold times with no answer and one hang up, I had had enough yesterday while talking to B&H about another camera. The AX100 subject came up and I went over it all with the rep, who contacted the head of customer service who contacted the Sony Rep who contacted Precision......and wonder of wonders, my parts just arrived today and they'll contact me within 48 hours.

Now I wish I'd bought the GH4. At least you don't have to wait to get screwed by them.

• Just finished a gig tonight, and I must say the lens is pretty good. Curious if the higher bitrate is any better but I will wait for a schedule break.

• @DrDave I've been using an sdxc card also with great results Dave, but I have a new U3 to put in it when it gets back. I have to admit that as annoying as this is, Sony customer support has been top notch so far. I'm not going to have to go through my supplemental warranty.

• 60 vs 100Mbps

• @DrDave

Well, only for new 100Mbit mode.

• Hmmm is this the new fimware? I use regular old sdxc on the AX100 but I haven't upgraded the firmware since I need the camera.