Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony FDR-AX100, 4K camcorder for the masses
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • Rolling shutter - yes, if you take shots perpendicular to and close up of trains going 60 MPH this camera is not for you :). What non-global shutter camera would do better for that type of shot?

• I had High Hopes for the AX100 But The Rolling Shutter Looks Quite Bad

The Comments on the Youtube Clip say it best \\\

• Some people have complained that the AX100 colors are a bit wan, for final output. There is a Cinematone setting in the camera that both captures more detail in highlights and increases the saturation and shifts the color more to red than blue.

Here is a video comparison in low light:

First part of each scene is normal; the second uses the Cinematone setting. You also get a test of whether the lens is parfocal - a fast full zoom appears to retain the object focus.

This video was not re-compressed, and the original XAVC S file is downloadable.

• @killagram You're right of course about the pro features, but to my eye the samples just look better--less stair-stepping, less junk in the image, and pinpoint sharpness that does not seem to have halos or sharpening artifacts. I would be interested in a side by side test, hope someone will take the trouble to make one.

• Small sample with downloadable original file

• @DrDave I believe there's a lot of post sharpening on-board with the AX100, but the XAVC-S is a bit more of a limiting codec with a 60Mbit cap and 8-bit 4:2:0 (when compared with Panasonic's offerings). It's definitely not a bad camera by any means but in my opinion this is much more suited for run-n-gun type operations and possibly a worthy B-cam. The GH4 on the other hand is more suited for prosumer video depending on their resources (ie. microHDMI recording, using it in conjunction with a YAGH, etc).

PS - I believe low lighting differences will be the main concern here as the Sony cam definitely shows a bit of noise (yet I only saw this on a 1650x1080 monitor, I'm certain it's much better on a true 4K monitor).

• A lot of these samples look slightly sharper and cleaner than the new Panny GH4--anyone have an opinion on that?

• @markr041 Thanks! Especially for not moving your camera like a tourist, panning and zooming all over the place ;-)

Nice exposure too. No cyan blue skies!

• Enough Youtube heavily compressed test clips and reviews! How about a video?

Here's a video I made in the first hour I had with the camera:

You can download the original XAVC S UHD video I uploaded - no re-compression was used.

There are no cats, but there are high contrast outdoor scenes, indoor low-light scenes, and bokeh. And fountains, goldfish, a snake, lizards, flowers, dinosaurs, children, scenic buildings, people, bicycles.

Some shakiness due to gusty wind in some scenes, but only Standard OIS was used, not Active-mode stabilization.

• How come even with effin zebras some people don't know how to expose properly? Mmm, nothing like the smell of burnt cyan skies in the morning...

• Found this

• Nice. Reign of 1" sensor is of course from Sony.

• From watching the video above, it looks like the AX100 has tons of actual physical buttons, which is always a good thing. And I wouldn't be too quick to judge picture quality yet, since we've only seen one promotional video and now this video from Jeanne-Pierre Barth (highly suspect, btw, since it's of very poor quality and the guy has no talent for video whatsoever).

• It might be okay for events and interviews, but it looks sterile and I don't think it's just the lighting. Based on the image here, and we have noting else to go on, I would never choose this for a film. I'll bet it sucks to work with in post, too. Not enough color info.

• XAVC in detail

• Probably fake.