Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GM1 official topic
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • Is this camera better than RX100 mark ii?

• Got one! Not sure what to think so far. Not sure it handles moving objects as well as a hacked GH-2. Here are a few clips from around the house today. All shot 720P 60 with 125 shutter. Shot in quiet mode. I know there are some focusing and exposure issues just messing around. None of this was graded or adjusted at all. Rendered at 30 fps. Some pics of the peaking set at orange at the end.

• Image quality from the Panasonic GM1 is what we expected - very good. The kit lens is nice, especially considering its small size, and adding a lovely 20mm F1.7 prime takes the whole thing up a level.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gm1

oil7.jpg
    665 x 858 - 61K
  • How long does it record a single clip on the battery? And does the file spanning work OK?

• @kendalloz, no worries! Pretty in pink. :P @kellar42, the GM1 on a brushless would bare down the Phantom too much, but it works to put it on a simple anti-vib plate and a tilt mount. You won't be able to hook up a remote release and WiFi is not an option (except maybe on the Vision 5.8GHz model) but you can set it up for time-lapse and with the 20/1.7 or 14/2.5 or the zuiko 12/2.0 you should be OK on the scales and shoot some tack sharp aerials. I'm not too sure about the 12-32 kit lens whether the PowerOIS works good with micro vibrations or not. Don't bother testing with the Canon PowerShot S95 or that series. Its IS wobbles like crazy at any shutter speeds. :) I would say that the GM1 on the Phantom is quite ideal, but you would probably not be able to get a downlink, HDMI is supposedly not in use during shooting, same with composite out, and just adding 5.8GHz Tx and wiring would probably push it. The flight time should be somewhere around 6-7 minutes, tops. :)

• Thanks cablefreak76. Hmmm...buy one now or wait with Vitaliy for the pink one to be released ;)

• Looking very good, guys. I wonder if someone could build a gimbal for this on a DJI phantom.

• What a year !

Plastic iphones and metal galaxies.

Bodycap lenses and lenscap bodies :)

I just received mine, it is fantastic :)

• The GM1 with kit lens does stabilize also for video, and it works great. Nothing to post yet with the kit lens (just filmed my daughter fooling around) but I did a little short with the Nokton 25 and 24p mode. The camera is absolutely fantastic, I have 2 GH3's and a hacked GH2, it's like the perfect pocket rocket cinema camera for us enthusiasts. The low light performance at 24p is stellar, much better than the GH3 due to the new sensor and true pixel binning. I would assume that we're seeing the first glimpse of performance from the 4K "GH4" camera... video is really smooth, gradation and highlight clipping beautifully, good detail in shadows. I do find native 24p slightly better than 25p though, probably due to the 50i wrapper messing things up, it's like with the GH2 25p mode but slightly better, I think. In addition it's a remarkable time-lapse machine. It can handle RAW-timelapse images in full res from the GH3 or itself, and render 1080p MP4 videos straight off the card. Say you're out shooting time consuming night time lapses with the GH3 and keep the GM1 warm in your pocket (because the battery is really small ;) and switch cards between takes and put them in the GM1 as a preview machine. It's one of the few missing features in the GH3 but if you have the GM1 it's even better because it frees up the GH3 for the next take. :)

It seems to do pretty OK with night landscape astrophotography, like ISO3200 @ 20-30sec, just best to keep LNR ON because the sensor heats up pretty much in that small case, no surprises. But I thought it would be much worse in that area. I might even have one of those JOBY tiny iPhone/smartphone legs in my pocket along with the GM1, on a clear night when walking home from the train. :) It's funny, it even outperforms the E-M1 in the long exposure department, because of the issue the E-M1 is having compared to the noiseless E-M5, the GM1 is no worse, perhaps even a bit better. :)

My first footage:

• I understand that this camera does not have IBIS just a stabilized kit lens...just want someone to say "yes" or "no" that the stabilization in the lens works in video mode. Looks like it probably does but just want to confirm from someone first-hand. Would also be nice if someone reported on the peaking.

• I think the confusion is that the kit lens has OIS which works in all modes, but the IBIS only works in stills mode with non-OIS lenses.

• Can someone who has the camera in hand confirm that the stabilization works in video mode with the kit lens? On page 210, the manual (Thanks DrDave) indicates that "normal" stabilization works in video mode but on page 191 it seems to indicate that stabilization does not work in video mode as the video icon is not highlighted.

Overall neat features in a small camera. Peaking (that you can change the color) and histogram and full manual video control and wi fi. Too bad no 1080 60p but it makes sense that heat might be an issue in that mode.

• Yes. It was shot in 720P for sure. Too bad, it´s not supporting 50P / 60P in 1080P mode.

But it looks VERY nice for such a small body (and for 720P) - At least to me. ^^ One thing is clear: The GM1 is definitely one of the best 2nd body options for m4/3 users. (Or for users, which are searching for the smalles possible high-quality camera system.)

• That was nice.to me it looked like it was shot 60p? And slowed down ? So was this shot at 720p 60fps?

• Nice! well shot!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev curiously enough BHPhoto and Adorama and Unique Photo and other US websites list Panasonic GM1 as both NTSC/PAL

But, my other question is if 25P mode on PAL versions is the real 25p or just wrapped in 50i?

• As far as I know it is not PAL/NTSC camera, non of Panasonic cameras is such.