Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Hidden gems among lenses
  • 136 Replies sorted by
  • Hope not to go off topic, but I bought a Vivitar (Kobori) 28-200 and it doesn't seem to focus at, let's say, 1 mt distance (without going in macro mode when it does focus). I tried the Lumix 35-100 to check/compare and it does indeed focus at that distance. Should it be a fault of the adapter (which is not a cheap one but an Italian custom-made adapter (http://www.adrianololli.com) with aperture control which I bought for the Tokina 11-16)? Or could it be that I got a faulty lens? Sorry for the lame question btw ...

• Canon FD lenses are indeed very famous in this moment.
    But one of the very best FD's is not popular at all.... it's real hidden gem: the 50mm f/3.5 Macro!

I own set of 14 FD primes in all focal lengths between 17mm and 200mm. I don't know if I am just lucky to own especially good copy this lens, but it kind of outperforms almost all other FDs I have. I find it just indispensable.

Nobody wants 50mm f/3.5 lenses today, so one can buy it for next to nothing, if just a bit lucky. Straight from maximal aperture onwards great IQ: no flare, no ghosting, no CA, razor sharp all over, good colors rendition. Its optical elements are as small as Panny 20mm/1.7's
    This is the one:

P1020335.JPG
    1504 x 1504 - 370K
    P1020336.JPG
    1504 x 1504 - 339K
    P1020337.JPG
    1504 x 1504 - 356K
  • Not able to find any details about this one.Need advise before buying a not so clean lens with fungus on it. Is it worth buying ? This could be a hidden gem.There is very little mention about it on the net. The serial number on the lens is -77510152

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29504544@N08/6050245876/

• I haven't shot any real footage with it yet, but I find the Tamron Adaptall 80-210mm f/3.8-4 a fabulous performer in the bargain basement range when shooting stills. I've compared it to a 70-210mm 19AH SP Adaptall-2 in some not-very-controlled comparison tests on my Pentax k100d Super for stills, and it performs quite admirably in comparison- and it's so much lighter and easier handling.

Used it in some closeup work on a quick and dirty test when first got my hands on a gh2, and footage matched up very nicely with that shot with a Pentax M 50mm f/1.4.

I've seen it in the $10-$35 range depending on condition/seller: Mine came in a job lot with some other fantastic lenses for 80 bucks, so I'd have to say I paid ~$25.00, but it wasn't why I grabbed the job lot, believe me! (Pentax K 55mm f/1.8 and M 35mm f/2.8 were the big attraction).

Details here: http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/103A.html

• I'm just got a 300mm F/4.5 Tair lens in (photosniper one).. just waiting for the tripod screws to arrive and then I can try it in the wild.. pretty excited to try it and see if it is any good..

• I'm sure you are right, that it is the first two digits, I just happen to have two that start with triple 777 for some reason. What I mean by my comment is that I have tested quite a few of these legacy zooms, and I have found the Koburi to have better color and sharpness, for lenses that cover a similar range. None of them is as sharp as something like a Leicasonic, but they have a big range and are cheap.

• @Brianluce Does ETC have to be on to use this lens?

• @DrDave

In fact, if you look at first page, serial begins with 77, and it is first two digits that show manufacturer, not three.

So, I still do not understand remark.

• Sorry--Kobori lenses with serial beginning 777, which identifies it as from the Kobori factory--which still has a website with photos of the lens. This lens is very different in construction and of course quality from the Vivitar lenses covering the same range. All 777 lenses are from this factory. There is also a smaller, F4 push-pull which is also very good and compact, but does not have the quality of the 28-200 Kobori.

• The Kobori 28-200/3.5 is a much better lens for this particular range

What do you mean under it.

As Vivitar is just brand name, so it can be exactly same lens.

• The Kobori 28-200/3.5 is a much better lens for this particular range.

• @vicharris

I tested two copies of Soligor 35-140mm. One is parfocal from 35 to 105 and the other is not. I just don't know why.

• Just bought on ebay Vivitar 28-200mm F3.5-5.3 for 8€ LOL
    The lens is in mint condition and has Canon FD mount.

EDIT: I confirm what Vitaliy wrote about this lens several times: it really does have outstanding optical performance. I had no time to test it yet in its full focal range and in all details, but the first tests vs Canon FD primes are excellent.

P1020331.JPG
    1504 x 1504 - 407K
  • Anyone know of any gems in terms of a wide angle that will match the image type of my Lomos (50mm & 28mm)? Thinking something between around 14-16mm, but maybe more or less. I Don't want a Lomo as the wide ones are soft. My main goal is to get a wide that has the same image type of my other Lomos so they match when editing footage shot with the different lenses. Any gems?

• If anyone wants a broken Soligor 35-140, let me know. The one I ordered is all kinds of FUBAR'd. Iris doesn't work properly and sure isn't parfocal. If you know how to work with lenses, maybe you can get it in shape. You pay shipping and it's yours! :) I'm in CA.

• Ha, talking about great russian lenses almost forgot this one: Helios-103 (53mm f/1,8). Comparing its price with performance, it's a real hidden gem.

The only two drawbacks are:
    1. I never saw yet an adapter for MFT, the only mount this lens was made for is the old Kiev/Contax bayonet, I think. I bought from some russian guy via eBay his hand-made adapter which works great
    2. this lens has no multi-coating which makes it prone to flare and ghosting. With hood it performs like champion.

• @vicharris I sold the vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 and the vivitar 70-210mm f3.5 so I am not sure. What I can remember is

the 70-210 is impossible to do smooth zoom, the zoom and focus are in same ring and you need to move front and back to do zoom and when you move you get some jumps. but it is a nice lens. there is a video on vimeo with it in my channel.

The 70-150mm is very smooth zoom, the focus and zoom rings are separate and you rotate the zoom ring to do zoom. If I can remember it is parfocal, but I am not sure. If you find it cheap it deserves a try. But with the 2x crop factor in GH2 this lens will be a strong tele and its image will be prone to shake when you move the ring to do zoom. I used this lens in my full frame 35mm adapter so without a crop factor the 70-150 works better to zoom. In my vimeo channel there is a video done with it.

• @apefos Thanks! I just bought the Soligor 35-140. Like the idea of parfocul! Does that Vivitar zoom keep focus through the zoom as well?

• I've just tested yesterday my russian Jupiter-8 lens (50mm f/2.0) on the NEX-7. Mine example (made 1972, I own it since 1982) has none CA at all, not even in the corners of APS-C sensor. Amazing IQ and beautifull picture in a $20 lens.

• I have a channel on vimeo showing shoots with different vintage lenses:

https://vimeo.com/channels/lenstest

• Just had a small spending spree today on some gems (hopefully). The above talked about MD 35-70, a couple of fd mount vivitar series 1 zooms (both 70-210 f3.5).. Going for a couple of other ones as well, as long as I can get them cheap. :)

To sum it up: P-V is quite a resource!

Edit: Just got a vitaliy favourite(?) – vivitar 28mm f2.8. I´ve also got a rokkor pf 58mm coming... Not quite a hidden gem, but it´s largely overlooked by those going for MD lenses.

• ok Vitaliy will do!

• @sammy @LaserGuidedTaco

I suggest to make or use some existing topic about lens troubles.

• The Navitar 75mm f1.3 CCTV lens is a hidden gem. I had one, shot quite a few films with it, but eventually sold it cos I thought it was a 1 inch lens, and not future proof. I could be wrong, seeing that C mount could some day make a comeback, especially now with contraptions like Digital Bolex looming on the horizon. Those who are able to locate one should try it. Luminous lens that yields hairline sharpness, and yet the images are filmic.

• @sammy I'm not sure if its a faulty adapter...I purchased a Fotodiox Pentax K (PK) to Micro 4/3. I guess we will have to wait for Daisuke's results...