Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD VS MJPEG
  • Hi everybody.

Thanks to every workers and tester for your job.

I see lot of post about Mjpeg vs avchd, the majority of people say avchd better than Mjpeg. But today I'm not sure...

I was making a shot test between 24h/HBR/Mjpeg with "Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7" The scene is very contrasted with highlights and black.

I prefer Mjpeg...!!! Because the noise is the same and I see more details and more sharpen.

I want know if somebody testing Mjpeg and say the same thing.

25p and 2K possible? with the option Mpjeg fps of ptools?

The time limite?

Mjpeg in 2K 25p no limited time, It 's dream for me.

Thanks for your answers!

mjpeg.png
    1280 x 800 - 976K
    hbr.png
    1280 x 800 - 922K
    24H.png
    1280 x 800 - 1000K
  • 17 Replies sorted by
  • @humpman Just for see if the size 2428.1366 go ok with low bitrate... It's ok for 10min but the image 's too noisy. I think if I make patch with settings of @nereo or near and record on faster card, I have a mjpeg mode in 2,5k on the GH2 Why? Just for have this mode in addition to AVCHD

@maxotics I read too and I'm ok the AVCHD is great codec and thanks to workers and tester. But I think Mjpeg can do a good job for specific use. I disagree the 2k mjpeg patch is wonderfull and I see the difference with stock mjpeg. But your explainnig on the compression pass1 and pass2 interest me. Do you have more information on this codecs? I know for magic lantern it's great for canon users but I prefer GH caméra and micro 4/3 mount for compact use.

Thanks bro.

• @Manoosh I've experimented with AVCHD vs MJPEG, have read all the posts between Andrew Reid and others, a while back, where the discussion became very heated. In the end, I decided that Andrew was right, AVCHD/H.264 is a modern CODEC that is still being worked on by the manufacturers, and which gives the best IQ. In good-light situations, however, MJPEG looks better, more detail, straight out of the camera. But I have found that a little post-processing of the AVCHD (H.264) footage brings it to MJPEG look, with more sharpness.

About bitrates (I hope I don't get flamed). I have never seen a huge visual difference between high bitrate and stock bitrate from these cameras. I DO NOT disagree that it is there, but not obvious to me. I can just speak for myself. The same is true with the MJPEG quality look-up table tweaks. I believe the reason you can't see a big difference is that the compression is happening after the camera makes a decision on what an image will look like; that is, has made its first compression pass. If the camera throws out a lot of color information before sending it to file-compression (and I think these cameras do), then it really doesn't matter if you have a high bit-rate or low bit-rate on what I'll call the second pass compression. Admittedly, I'm shooting out of my arse here. But if anyone want to education me then they need to show me a video shot both with a stock camera, and that camera with a hack, without post processing, where I can see the difference. I have spent hour and hours looking at this kind of footage. I shoot a bunch myself. I can only see difference if I look very hard. Again, I know it's there intra-frame, artifact improvement, but not so much general IQ.

If you really want high dynamic range, Black magic or Magic Lantern Canon RAW are where you want to go. They have high bitrates because they're saving RAW data from the camera sensor. I can see a HUGE difference between the RAW video I shoot on my EOS-M, for example, and the H.264 video it produces from the factory. The reason is that the RAW video isn't really video at all, but un-compressed raw still images from the sensor.

But before you jump into RAW know this: you lose resolution, the work-flow is tedious, difficult requires lots of storage and a powerful PC. For most work, it is not a good way to go. It is ONLY good if you want high dynamic range and are prepared to pay a huge price in time for it. A Panasonic camera will already give you a great image that is easy to get, work with, store, etc.

• @Manoosh so what's the point?

• @humpman If I compare my shot it's dirty. Lot of noise and less details.

@nereo I understand what you say, and your patch in 2k is really so good. But when I put your settings with the resizing in 2428.1366 I have a bitrate around 140mbs but sometimes when I record I have the error speed writing message. I need more faster card for continue my test.

The canon 1DC have a mjpeg in 300mbs for 4K . I think the half to GH2 is may be possible with bitrate around 150mbs this old codec can make a good job...

I need to find a method for move settings table and quality. I see lot posts in PV but nothing specific.

May be somebody have link or other information for the settings and all about of Mjpeg?

Thanks for your reply

• @Manoosh The sensor output is 30. I think 5 frames per second is not encoded (save 1/6 bytes) Then you can increase the bit rate per frame by adjusting E1 E2 E3 E4, increasing the quality of 1/6 .

My Mjpeg is 2048 x 1152

• Compare it with low quality 1920x1080 still photo.

• I test 2428.1366 with stock settings for MJPEG compression. Result is ok. I can record 10 minutes but the image quality is bad. The bitrate is 24mbs...

I think in Mjpeg mode we need constant bitrate arround 150mbs with this size 2428.1366. But I don't know if I can find a sdcard for this bitrate.... And I think time record get down under 2minutes...

• My bitrate get down with this settings: E1 Quality = 400 E1 Table = 24 E2 Quality = 200 E2 Table = 36 E3 Quality = 175 E3 Table = 48 E4 Quality = 150 E4 Table = 4

Bitrate around 60mbps but WHen I record I have the error message " speed card"

I don't realy understand what I do. But I hope

Somebody?

• After grading the two Proress ... I prefer "Final Bloom cluster9" and you?!!!!

But I think Mjpeg can do a good work ! My bitrate Mjpeg is too hight for a possible use . I'll go get down my bitrate with setting of LPowell 100mbps lowlight patch but in 2432x 1366...

MJPEGproress graded.png
    1280 x 800 - 929K
    AVCHDproress graded.png
    1280 x 800 - 776K
  • Hi,

Today I test Mjpeg mode with this: 2432x 1366 like BCC ( black magic) Frame rate :25 E1 Quality = 512 E1 Table = 6 E2 Quality = 420 E2 Table = 28 E3 Quality = 420 E3 Table = 26 E4 Quality = 486 E4 Table = 8

I test too AVCHD with "Final Bloom cluster9" by @Driftwood HBR mode only

I can record short clip under 1min with Mjpeg mode on Sand disk Extreme 45MB/s 32 go

Two first screen shot are native 2,5k .MOV and 1080 .MTS Others are compression in Apple Proress422hq with media encoder

I see big difference betweew two mode, but I can't say who is the best...

AVCHD.png
    1280 x 800 - 799K
    AVCHD422proress.png
    1280 x 800 - 654K
    MJPEG2_5K.png
    1280 x 800 - 936K
    mjpeg422PRORESS.png
    1280 x 800 - 877K
  • @Rambo Thanks! I see new topics! And lot of interesting !

@nereo Are you sure for the 25p? It's real 25p and not a 30p less 5 pictures all seconde? You Know I' m saying? Your Mjpeg is 1080p or 2018x 1146?

I'm ok for make test the next week! Low light scene Contrast scene Détails scene

Thanks a lot!

Micro four thirds for winners!!!

• @Manoosh, drop this search string in google you will find all the mjpeg topics on PV

2k mjpeg site:www.personal-view.com/talks

• I own a GF2 and after trying many patches I have chosen for mjpeg "Cluster v7 Gop6 sharp2 Apocalypse Now": 2k less contrast than usual and very sharp. I made ​​several attempts without having problems with a Transcend Secure Digital SDHC Class 10 UHS-I (Ultimate) 600x 32 GB. I changed the frame rate to 25p without having problems. I tried to change the following values ​​to increase the bytes per frame: E1 Quality = 512 E1 Table = 6 E2 Quality = 420 E2 Table = 28 E3 Quality = 420 E3 Table = 26 E4 Quality = 486 E4 Table = 8

But I have to do more testing.

For avchd for me the best is "A Sedna Settings: Max Detail. Q20 version" GOP 1. Combine the 2 patches and you'll get better!

• Hi,

I make test with the option Mjpeg FPS for make 25 fps. Media info show me the file is 25fps and the time limite get up of 3 minutes. But when put 25 fps and 2K resolution. The mjpeg mode 's instable ...

I' dont know if mjpeg is really progressive scan... Media info don't show me type scan.... But I think it's...

Somebody had testing Mjpeg in 2k at 25fps??

The Mjpeg mode is very interesting for edit on a little configuration like a Macbook unibody or core duo. And the 2K for stabilisation, fake travelling and others tricks... But I need real 25p for Pal use...

Thanks

• MJPEG has been doing 25fps since 1993. Progressive? Dunno.

• To me, Mjpeg is limited because it doesn't really shoot true 24/25p, only 30p. Also when I did tests on it, it did well on low iso/low light, but didn't do as well on HIGH iso and low light. Way more FPN on high iso/low light on the GH1. Never tested the GH2.

• MJPEG is always 30fps as much as I know and limited to max 2GB. In QuickTime it is not limited, but your GH2 can't benefit from QuickTime.

Check the threads here, we have many topics regarding MJPEG vs AVCHD