Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • I've had Lut Buddy for some time. I've used it some, made a couple of my own, and yes, purchased a fair number ... including from a dude that has his own thread around here somewhere. In my work I don't actually use them that much, though. So I've not built up the experience to say, know the difference between rec709 and log either theoretically or practically.

One of those nasty things about doing it ... and learning it ... whilst making a living, one doesn't have the time to "play" with things as much as one would like. "Playing" with stuff is a great way to learn, but I've just got to get stuff out the door. And my stuff is really simple compared to say, a lot of the vids posted here. Learning and gearing up as I go along, of course. Always trying to learn. In as little time as possible. :)

Neil

• @Mistas

I don't see how a rec709 to log would do anything good for the GH3, unless the LUT was made for the GH3 and takes into account the GH3 colours... but once again, that would be a useless step because you won't gain more details.

• @yak Correct, rec709 to LOG won't do anything directly. A LOG profile will respond to grading differently compared to rec709. The question is whether or not the difference is of any real benefit.

• For you Premiere users, you can also look at the Cineon Converter (Linear to Log) video effect, if you want to flatten the hell outta your image.

• Trying some less flat, richer contrast grading. Applying an adjustment layer in Premiere Pro CC with a 30% gaussian blur. Then setting the blend mode to Soft Light. Gives a deeper contrast, soft, rich romanticized feel. Camera set on Natural -5 -3 -3 -2, 60fps, 1080p. Using the Varavon 900S Slidecam.

• Guys if you want to try this LUT I generated, which I'm using as basic correction for GH3 footage. Yes, it does affect the overall image colors and constrast but does very good for skintones in my opinion. No particular technique or merit to me, basically just a rip

GH3recover.cube.zip
    2M
  • How does it compare to yak's?

• It can't be really compared, his LUT is a really specific one which acts on a specific range. He studied and made efforts to create it, I just exported some grades which include filmconvert

• Ah, okay.

• I have been following this thread almost from the beginning and have gone back to review the first post and replies.

Basically I am now thoughly confused.

I've tried every profile in my GH3 and every setting from all 0 to -5 with little visable difference. I messed with the settings so much that I wonder how to reset them to default?

• hi guys! 22 pages...could anyone please provide the latest info on which settings are best for video recording? (for outdoor, indoor, concert shooting with low light) thanks so much! also what woudl be the best color setting for photos? ;-)

• @olli66 (I tried to answer your personal message to me but the system was down.) Your question is a bit broad. That's most likely why no one's responded. It would take quite a while to outline settings for everything you've requested above. Can you narrow it down? Are you color correcting in post? This alone is a huge factor that dictates what settings you shoot with. What style are you going for - Documentary, Reality TV, Cinema? Generally we do our own trial and error tests with a setting first. Post the results with the settings used and go from there. "Best Video Settings" is a VERY subjective preference so most likely no two people will agree completely. What one likes, another may not prefer. (Hence the 22 pages in this thread.)

• @RRRoger Can you expand a bit on, "I am now thoroughly confused?"

"every setting from all 0 to -5 with little visable difference." Unless you have a bad camera the difference between 0 and -5 on any setting is vast to my eyes. Try again with beginners eyes, side by side comparisons of the footage, be critical, you'll see.

• @maddog15 thanks for your reply! of course, I know it is a broad question and everybody has his/her personal taste but maybe there are some "general rules" i.e. settings, for example: which recording mode is best? mp4 or mov? (I read your post that you accidently recorded in mp4 but even if it has less bitrate it is possible for mp4 to be the better choice? even for post-production?) and I am sure there is a range for the settings of color, sharpness, contrast etc. which most people will agree on? I mean for example saturation: I guess there won't be many people using +5 so most will use -x to 0. I just want to narrow it down to a range used most commonly here is a concert shoot I did with two GH3 cameras, if I recall correctly I set picture to standard and lowered most values to -2/-3 and I always recorded in mov so far, check it out:

now my question is how can I optimize the picture? I am sure I should start with in-camera settings as close to "reality" as possible, of course, I want natural skin tones (often not possible at concerts with bad and changing lights...I know...) and I am not only recording concerts but music videos, too, all my shoots are udner different conditions so I was hoping there is a general rule/setting to apply. I edit with Vegas and this is where I can grade the colors given the possibilities Vegas has to offer. Oh, one last thing: The GH3 offers "clean" picture and I like it. Anyone has a recommendation if I want to shoot a more DSLR-like looking film, for example like the videos from http://www.youtube.com/user/mylesoreilly (high acclaimed Irish music documentarist, I know which lense he is using for his Canon...it's old, maybe hard to get and I would need an adapter...I wodner if there is an MFT lense for this style or can it be done in post?) lots of questions, I hope some find some answers or tips, thanks guys

• @olli66

I dont know what colors do you like, vivid or neutral. That is your choice. I use Natural 0. I use a high end plamaTV for watching and it has very good contrast and rich colors so with average LCD things may be different.

Contrast affects much of dynamic range.

I use SH -5, NR -5 with Panasonic lenses. GH3 sharpening creates thick lines and halos. NR softens details, better to do in post or in player or TV.

If you want DSRL of film like result aperture and shutter speed are important and you must shoot 24 or 30P. SH -5 obviously. If you want Canon look soften more in post and kill highlights and shadows :)

• @olli66 Unfortunately there is no magic setting. I wish there was. I shoot everything using Natural. It has the flattest in camera color setting to my eyes. I want this because I do all my color and grading in post. My settings: -5 Contrast. I want as much dynamic range as possible. Too much in camera contrast can crush your blacks and whites. -5 Sharpness. In camera sharpening can be dangerous. It'll sharpen the image to reveal more "detail" BUT it can also exaggerate and enhance codec artifacts, noise, moire and aliasing. Over-sharpened footage looks too much like reality show tv or "video" to my eyes. Saturation -2. Again because I don't want the over saturated look of video. Plus, as many have noted here, the GH3's Red channel is challenging. -5 Saturation seems to zap everything but that nasty, pasty, chalky red. Noise Reduction 0 to -5. For the most part I don't want noise reduction to soften the image too much. I'd rather have a film grain kinda look vs a softened filtered look. The only time I use "0" is in low light when my ISO is at 16000. The GH3 is just an 8 bit camera and high ISO noise also brings out nasty color noise. I NEVER shoot above ISO 16000. Period. I'd much rather have an underexposed image at 16000 than a properly exposed image at 32000 or 64000. All that "Blair Witch Project" noise is just.... well...unacceptable to me. (Unless of course that's what you're going for.) All these "settings" can be brought back up or down in post. So my goal is to get the best midrange image so I have lots of wiggle room to push and pull.

Check out post from @flablo, @starios, @yak just to name a few. These folks have really tested, tested and tested again. And for me that's the point. Practice makes perfect. Hat's off to them and many others. I've learned much from them.

• @maddog15 and @Vesku thanks guys! will try! just one thing I don't understand: applying a negative setting of -5 for sharpness for example means to me sharpness is already reduced in camera, to my understanding only a positive setting of +1 to +5 would make the camera add sharpness, no?

• @maddog15

I think you mean iso1600-6400 :).

It is also interesting that GH3 sharpening filter reduces noise too. -4 sharpen has less noise than -5. Sharpen filter in GH3 works so that it sharpen sharp edges but softens a bit texture and noise. -4 destroys video a bit by increasing halos and softening texture. It may be still ok for high iso. I dont shoot much over 1600iso so I use always -5 sharpness.

I newer go below 0 color because it leads washed out colors. -5 contrast already reduces color too.

• @Vesku Yes...1600. Thanks for the correction. @olli66 That's a good question that also baked my noodle. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but - the way I understand it is you have an eleven digit scale. -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4 and +5. 0% sharpening is -5. Maximum Sharpening is +5. Soooo... a Sharpening of "0" on the camera is really like 5.5 on a scale of eleven numeric settings. No sharpening "-5". 50% Sharpening "0". 100% or Maximum Sharpening "+5". Hope that makes sense.

• @olli66

It is obvious that -5 is no sharpness. even -4 adds a slight halo with Panasonic 14-42mm kit zoom. I think still that sharpness setting is related also with lens used. Sharpening halo is much less a problem with 100-300mm lens at same setting.

• From most of the testing posted here (thanks guys!) and my own stuff, for @olli66 I'd say the "range" of considerations are to use Natural or Standard (each has their supporters ... natural probably leads though) and get your WB as spot-on in-cam as possible. Also exposure is critical, you don't have a 'RAW' file here or a file of the depth of the pro-model cameras. So ... get your WB and exposure nailed in-cam. Don't assume any leeway, work to get them spot-on.

You'll correct both in post for most purposes ... but you've got to have good stuff in to get a file which allows some good post work to make it really pretty ... or nasty, if that's what you're going for.

Contrast ... -5 gives you the widest range of recorded detail whites/blacks, but some folks have noted a bit more apparent noise in the deep shadows with this ... which may be a bit better (less visible) at a contrast setting of -4 or -3. For quick work delivered near out-of-cam, some will go "clear up!" to a "0" setting on contrast.

Best color sat is dependent on how much work you'll be doing in post and how much skin you've got. The GH3 can be funky on skin mids and highlights, some people prefer the lowest -5, for quickie output maybe -1, I've ended up for most purposes shooting -3 on saturation. Nothing comes in over-cooked and I can work it pretty decently in Speedgrade.

Sharpening ... oh my, few cameras do this decently in-cam and the GH3 ain't one of them. Strongly suggest between -5 to -3 as your "standard", I'm one of the -5 ones.

Noise reduction can also mess up your images ... nail your exposure and turn the NR down to at least -4 though you'll find mine at -5.

Did I mention nail your WB and exposure in-cam? And on WB ... also get used to using the little grid adjustment thingie ... Some around here like me have a tool for setting WB, then go into the grid and modify it from past experience. Learn how you like that set, and then what alterations you prefer on the grid selector to get stuff looking best balanced coming into post work.

Neil

• @rNeil @olli66 That is probably the most critical adjustment above all before you hit record. White Balance. I used to take that for granted and just use Auto WB. What a mistake...live and learn. Thanks Neil for pointing out what I completely took for granted...in mentioning.

• stupid question: white balance: bringing a piece of white paper and adjusting wb with that paper?

• I've tried setting a custom white balance off a Whibal 18% Grey Card but the image had always turned out way too saturated and the white balance resets with every power off/on so it became a hassle.

• Another stupid question:

If you set your white balance with white card in yellowish electrical lightning is the result too neutral compared to what an eye see and what our brain knows about that lightning. If shooting in city lights would it be better to have an accurate color instead of neutral color. Same matter with sunsets light. When it is reasonable to use white card or is it ok to use it always? I dont know because I always use auto WB and I am happy with it.