Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Intel Haswell i7-4770K CPU, little reason to upgrade
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • Intel's slow transition from Ivy Bridge to Haswell has impacted the CPU maker's original roadmap for 2014 as Ivy Bridge remains the mainstream platform of the notebook industry and a new time for termination has not been set, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

With Ivy Bridge demand remaining strong, Intel is likely to postpone the termination of the platform, but such a move would put Haswell at an awkward position as next-generation Broadwell will also become available in the near future, the sources noted. Intel started adjusting its roadmap and CPU shipment proportions for 2014 to prevent inventory pileups.

Btw, one of the consequences of rising costs resulting in new chips being marginally faster with significantly higher prices.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131127PD216.html

• Glad to see this thread, VentureBeat was making this thing out to be the next coming, talking about it single handedly turning around the computer industry...something seemed off.

• Apologies, Komrade. I keep conflating fact and opinion. Thanks for leading by example.

• Every time Intel intros a new CPU gen, it's the same story. A slight bump up in performance, slightly better efficiency.

And this is just not true. Significant bumps happened. With introductiong of original Core and introduction of i series.

• Every time Intel intros a new CPU gen, it's the same story. A slight bump up in performance, slightly better efficiency. Sometimes the new chip runs a bit hotter, sometimes a bit cooler. But every, every, every time, the reaction is the same: scorn ("Oh REALLY, Intel? PHAYLE!!"), apathy ("Ho-Hum, We Award This CPU 4 Stars For Being A Good Advertiser"), and despite all this the geeks (aka anyone who even knows what names these chips go by) rush to buy it anyway because the only thing worse than a chip that's only 10 percent faster than last year's is being the only guy in your online nerdscrum still using last year's CPU.

The only garlic string and silver bullet for this is to be a wretched cheapskate, like me. I'll ride the i7-3770K out till it's limping along on its last core. I rode the i7-930 into the ground before upping to the 3770K, and I'll skip another 2 or 3 gens before I up again. I'm not averse to spending real money on something I really need - that Genus Eclipse variable ND, thanks for the heads-up guys, is the serious balls - but me and Ivy have a lot of years left before I leave her for a younger chip.

• bad shit, then why use a "k" processor if its worst then last ones for overcloking.

• Much more and detailed tests

Short conclusion

And frankly speaking, this product is not that impressive at all, especially in the eyes of computer enthusiasts. We tested the top of the line desktop Haswell, Core i7-4770K, and drew a number of bitter conclusions. First, Core i7-4770K is just a little bit faster than the flagship Ivy Bridge processor. Microarchitectural improvements only provide a 5-15 % performance boost, and the clock frequency hasn’t changed at all. Second, Core i7-4770K processor turned out a significantly hotter processor than the CPUs based on previous microarchitecture. Even though Haswell allows engineering energy-efficient processors with impressively low heat dissipation, its performance-per-watt has worsened a lot when they adjusted its characteristics to meet the desktop requirements. This resulted into the third item on this list: without extreme cooling Core i7-4770K overclocks less effectively than the previous generation overclocker processors.

• Some video related GPU accelerated features may have a boost however ... http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/13

For example Intel Quick Sync based H.264 video export from Edius timeline has been fast already http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29707 Hope it becomes even faster and further improves quality ...

• Great! I just bought the 3770 for my new hackintosh! :)